• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow recovery

sconnieman

Hey all. Saturday I was fortunate enough to kill my first deer. Yay! A nice little 8 pointer. Anyway, I had a complete pass through and although the LED nock turned on, it must’ve turned off after hitting the deer because I wasn’t ever able to find my arrow. A nice vector custom shop with an iron will head and nockturnal. I went back when it was pitch black and never found it. What are the chances it will still be there a week later? If it was covered in blood will some critter come and take it? I’d like to go back for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say prolly a good chance. I lost an entire quiver of arrows including a blood covered arrow and found most of them a few weeks later.

Did it still have the blood on it?

Did it still have the blood on it?

Yup. I clipped a tree branch with my quiver walking out the woods and didn’t realize my arrows were gone till I got back to the truck. When I found them they were scattered like bread crumbs. Arrow still had blood on it, super dried and crusted

are you positive you had pass through at point of impact? the arrow could have gone through the deer partially but carried with it/ came out down the blood trail perhaps? the lighted knock seeming like it turned off makes me think of this scenario

Off topic, my wifes Omni Brites come off of her crossbow bolts easily. I put a piece of tape around them and the shafts to help avoid them coming off.

I seem to have better luck finding arrows in the spring after I lost them the previous fall. I've done that twice now. I've also had a deer carry the arrow for a few yards and never found it- I imagine it got stuck on some brush and slingshotted once it was ripped out.

are you positive you had pass through at point of impact? the arrow could have gone through the deer partially but carried with it/ came out down the blood trail perhaps? the lighted knock seeming like it turned off makes me think of this scenario

It’s possible that happened but I’m fairly certain it happened at impact. Iron Will single bevel with 14% foc, 560gn arrow through only lungs.
04247c427b71d5718c7755067a2e9a0e.jpg

Off topic, my wifes Omni Brites come off of her crossbow bolts easily. I put a piece of tape around them and the shafts to help avoid them coming off.
I actually had this problem with my nockturnals on my compound. Quit using them

Back