• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle setup for petite female

savannahyv

Hi all,

I'm new to saddle hunting (haven't purchased a saddle yet). I'm 5'2" at about 100lbs soaking wet. With a previous history of Lyme disease, my hips and joints get pretty uncomfortable in unideal comfort levels. My carrying capacity is also pretty low given my tiny frame and body weight.

I'm looking for the best option of a saddle for me. I did order the hawk mini sticks and tiny platform attachment to save on weight and bulk but I'm not really convinced on buying the hawk saddle. Seems like it'll be too big and I'm questionable on the quality of the product. I'm not super comfortable in trees so I'm fine paying for the safest best product.

I live in Southern NH for background context - hilly, rocky terrains. Lots of availability for private and public land. This is my 2nd year hunting and I got my first spike buck this year with my Ravin R10. I hunt with a R26 now for weight reduction and firearms I will be hunting with chest holstered .357 6" GP100 or a 10mm G40.

Suggestions?

A Rock climbing harness paired with a fleece saddle is hard to beat comfort wise IMO. That should also give you the option of getting a harness that fits well and making your fleece saddle the size that I most comfortable for you. They dyrad drey may work well for you if you aren't comfortable with a DIY option. I believe Custom Gear Modifications will also do custom sizes that may work out well for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Def give the RCH + Fleece Saddle a look. By far cheaper, easiest to have in hand, and most comfortable option of soft side saddles. More size ranges in rock climbing harnesses to fit you than you will find in all the other identical purpose made “hunting saddles”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Def give the RCH + Fleece Saddle a look. By far cheaper, easiest to have in hand, and most comfortable option of soft side saddles. More size ranges in rock climbing harnesses to fit you than you will find in all the other identical purpose made “hunting saddles”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty ignorant on the topics of saddles/RCH's, do you have suggestions on where I can start for types of RCH's? Things I should avoid and look out for?

If I went that route, is there a brand/kit of ropes you recommend I get separately to piece the kit together? I don't know what I'm doing :(

Lineman's loops on a harness are a big plus, gear loops that come on RCH's aren't really necessary and can get in the way.

[/URL]

This particular harness is well suited to be used as a stand alone saddle and should be very comfortable to use with a fleece saddle as well. I know the Black diamond Bod harness and a variety of Alpine style harness have been used successfully also.
As far as tether and lineman's options go there's a lot of different choices, any saddle manufacturers premade ones will work. You can also buy climbing rated rope and tie your own knots if you'd like. Generally speaking a larger, stiffer 10-11mm works better as a lineman's belt for most people but some people prefer the smaller profile and packability of the 8-9 mm climbing ropes. I personally use Muddy safe line rope that I cut in half and tied my own knots in for my linesman's and tether.

All in all it's quite the rabbit hole to jump into, and this time of year a lot of suppliers are limited in what they have available.

Another harness option is a tree stand harness with lineman's loops. That is what I use in conjunction with my fleece saddle because I already had it.

Lineman's loops on a harness are a big plus, gear loops that come on RCH's aren't really necessary and can get in the way.

[/URL]

This particular harness is well suited to be used as a stand alone saddle and should be very comfortable to use with a fleece saddle as well. I know the Black diamond Bod harness and a variety of Alpine style harness have been used successfully also.
As far as tether and lineman's options go there's a lot of different choices, any saddle manufacturers premade ones will work. You can also buy climbing rated rope and tie your own knots if you'd like. Generally speaking a larger, stiffer 10-11mm works better as a lineman's belt for most people but some people prefer the smaller profile and packability of the 8-9 mm climbing ropes. I personally use Muddy safe line rope that I cut in half and tied my own knots in for my linesman's and tether.

All in all it's quite the rabbit hole to jump into, and this time of year a lot of suppliers are limited in what they have available.

I measured my waist and that RCH you linked to should fit well and it looks like the seller lives in MA which i work in MA! I sent him a message, thank you.

As far as the D-loops on that one you linked - will this be ok to use a linesman on? other than maybe being a little noisy because they will be metal on metal with the carabiners on them?

I measured my waist and that RCH you linked to should fit well and it looks like the seller lives in MA which i work in MA! I sent him a message, thank you.

As far as the D-loops on that one you linked - will this be ok to use a linesman on? other than maybe being a little noisy because they will be metal on metal with the carabiners on them?
Adding some vet wrap to them should quiet them down significantly. Along with a layer of vet wrap on your carabiners

Adding some vet wrap to them should quiet them down significantly. Along with a layer of vet wrap on your carabiners

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge so enthusiastically. It really helps!

I would recommend a CRÜZR XC saddle. I have had no problems with it, and it's more comfortable for women, since we have wider hips. This is my second season with it. Good luck!

Back