• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adding SRT to my “kit”, need some advice

Arkie

SH Member
I’ve been using 3-4 WE Stepps and a Knaider/Swaider as my climbing method most recently and have been very satisfied. I’m not crazy about using the K/S going down the tree in the dark so I rappel down (one-sticked last year so I had the gear). I use a MadRock Safeguard as my device.

There are definitely trees in the areas I hunt that would work well for SRT and I have the main line, Safeguard, and leg loop so I’m not really packing any extra gear.

The only things it seems I need are a throw bag, throw line, and something to attach my leg loop.

Here are my questions:

1.) Seems that dynaglide is the best for a throw line; however, I have a ton of paracord laying around. Will this work or will I regret it?

2.) I have a ton of accessory cord as well so attaching my leg loop using a Prusik would be easy; however, it’s not easy to break the knot once loaded. What are the better hitches for this? I recall one that was one-way versus friction both ways.

2.) Any cheap DIY throw bags?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I SRT’d and one sticked last year.

1.) paracord will work but dynaglide is better and not very expensive. You can use the paracord for pre-set continuous loops.

2.) get a $30 hand ascender from Amazon instead of going the prussic route. Way easier and more comfortable.

3.) I also bought a throw bag on Amazon. I have no diy solutions for you other than maybe a rock.

I carry my whole kit for rappelling in a tethrd roll pouch and the only other pice for that kit to transition to SRT is my hand ascender and it’s in my book bag.

1.) Seems that dynaglide is the best for a throw line; however, I have a ton of paracord laying around. Will this work or will I regret it?

You can definitely try paracord, but it doesn't flow through the crotch of a tree very well, an the knots are bigger than dynaglyde.

I like to ascend with a prussik cord tied into a autoblock configuration. This is a mostly one way knot. I have a petzl hand ascender, and it clicks when advancing, so I really don't like it.

For a foot loop you can almost use anything as it is not life supporting. I have used tubular webbing, I have used hammock straps, I have used flat webbing from a ratchet strap, and I have used my lineman rope.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dynaglide is worth it, but there are some similar options that aren’t quite as expensive. Emma Kites makes a UHMWPE cord that is good.

emma kites UHMWPE Braided Cord 100~1000lb High Strength Least Stretch Tent Tarp Rain Fly Guyline Hammock Ridgeline Suspension for Camping Hiking Backpacking Survival Recreational Marine Outdoors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085XWM2Z6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8Y1GNQ347Q34M2P0DRDK?psc=1

I wouldn’t mess with a DIY throw ball. It will end up stuck in a tree. Get a a cheap Weaver or something online.

A folding throw cube is great for pre-sets. Otherwise, you end up with forest floor debris intertwined with your line and it becomes and huge mess.

Fine. Y’all talked me into it, I ordered dynaglide and a hand ascender from EWO. I’ll have everything except a throw bag, which I’ll likely order from Amazon.

Awesome, just watch a couple videos on SRT and go slow and you’ll be good to go. You can be pretty quiet with this method when you go to a preset. And presets are where SRT shines IMO.

SRT is probably my favorite climbing method. I find it easier and safer than the others I use (sticks and LWHC). Unless you're a pro with the throw ball, presets are a must IMO.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What hand ascender did you order? If it's a Kong or a Petzl, you'll attach your foot loop to the ascender and place it above your madrock. For the foot loop itself, just about anything will work including amsteel or paracord, just depends on how small you want it to pack down.

I don’t fool around with a throw ball much during season, just during post season scouting to get some pre set trees. And often during season I’ll climb a tree with the Wild Edge steps then throw a loop of paracord over a limb so I can climb it easier with SRT if I come back to the spot

What hand ascender did you order? If it's a Kong or a Petzl, you'll attach your foot loop to the ascender and place it above your madrock. For the foot loop itself, just about anything will work including amsteel or paracord, just depends on how small you want it to pack down.

I bought the Kong.
I believe I can use my Swaider as my leg loop. It should be long enough.

I don’t fool around with a throw ball much during season, just during post season scouting to get some pre set trees. And often during season I’ll climb a tree with the Wild Edge steps then throw a loop of paracord over a limb so I can climb it easier with SRT if I come back to the spot

That’s kind of what I had in mind. With 3-4 steps and a K/S I can get to hunting height in about any tree around here. Anything I planned to come back to, even if it was just for another hunt in the same weekend, I would leave paracord in. I would preset all the spots I hunt on private.

That’s kind of what I had in mind. With 3-4 steps and a K/S I can get to hunting height in about any tree around here. Anything I planned to come back to, even if it was just for another hunt in the same weekend, I would leave paracord in. I would preset all the spots I hunt on private.

That’s exactly what I’m doing this year, as those are my two climbing methods. I don’t SRT if I’m hunting a new spot on public but will bring my rope and ascender so I can rappel down after the hunt

I’m trying the JRB ascending hitch.
He explains it very well look on You Tube.
I have only tried it a couple of times but it moves up easily.

I'll one stick up a tree hang and hunt and if i think it's a spot to come back to I will throw a loop of paracord over a limb for a DRT or SRT next time. I mostly DRT because it's less fiddly for me.

I’ve been using 3-4 WE Stepps and a Knaider/Swaider as my climbing method most recently and have been very satisfied. I’m not crazy about using the K/S going down the tree in the dark so I rappel down (one-sticked last year so I had the gear). I use a MadRock Safeguard as my device.

There are definitely trees in the areas I hunt that would work well for SRT and I have the main line, Safeguard, and leg loop so I’m not really packing any extra gear.

The only things it seems I need are a throw bag, throw line, and something to attach my leg loop.

Here are my questions:

2.) I have a ton of accessory cord as well so attaching my leg loop using a Prusik would be easy; however, it’s not easy to break the knot once loaded. What are the better hitches for this? I recall one that was one-way versus friction both ways.

2.) Any cheap DIY throw bags?

Thanks in advance.

You can find a throw bag and throw line on Amazon for cheap. I recommend a cube to store your throw line in so that it doesn’t get all tangled up in the woods. Another option is an extendable stick like lineman or arborist use. You can girth hitch your rope from the ground and use the stick to walk it up the tree. It’s quick and quiet but you’re carrying a stick. If you feel like practicing, a cheap alternative is to cut some 3/4” pvc into 24-30” PCs with the bell end attached and you can do the same thing as the extendable stick. As far as leg loops, maybe I’m the minority but I attach my gri gri plus and a hand ascender over that with a SMC climbing pulley. With that mechanical advantage it’s so easy pulling myself up that I don’t even use a leg loop or foot ascender.

I see that OP ordered the Dynaglide, but for anyone else reading this thread: I've used gutted paracord with great success for my throw line, then pull whole paracord behind it for my preset. It's a good option for people who have tons of para laying around and don't want to buy something new. My throw bag is just a piece of crappy old leather filled with shot and hand-sewn, painted red to find it easily.

I'll one stick up a tree hang and hunt and if i think it's a spot to come back to I will throw a loop of paracord over a limb for a DRT or SRT next time. I mostly DRT because it's less fiddly for me.
Loujo61,
Do you find people mess with your presets?
I like to keep my hunting areas private. Do you use paracord colors that match the bark? Do you attempt to hide it anyway like hanging it above eye level?
Thanks!
Ben

Loujo61,
I like to keep my hunting areas private. Do you use paracord colors that match the bark? Do you attempt to hide it anyway like hanging it above eye level?
Thanks!
Ben
I use camo or wood colored paracord for my presets. I tie them as high as I can reach and I haven't noticed anyone messing with them.

Loujo61,
Thanks!
Ben
I use camo colored cord with reflective tracers. At day time it is very hidden but then I don’t have trouble finding it at 6am when it’s dark out. I also have never had anyone mess with my preset but I am paranoid so I tie it in a true loop using double fisherman’s knots and wrap it around the back side of the tree so it’s not blowing up getting caught on branches in the wind. Thumb tacking it down works too

Back