• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Keeping the slack out

ShooterMike

Has probably been discussed before, but I was having this conversation with someone in person, and thought it might be helpful for someone here.

When one-sticking, I use a change of direction with a quick link and friction hitch above my device. I pull with my left hand, which aids in climbing while also tending slack above the device.

Before descending, just undo the change of direction, and take the tension off the friction hitch to make rope retrieval easier.
fce76723cfaf09028d4b6e28f9eb16fe.jpg

This makes it significantly easier than just pulling up on tag end out of Safeguard? I dont recall it being difficult to tend out slack while one sticking with safeguard but if this makes it much easier its worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, am I seeing a quick link as the "eye" of your tether? How does that do as far as your tether not loosening every time some of your weight is off the tether?

Has probably been discussed before, but I was having this conversation with someone in person, and thought it might be helpful for someone here.

When one-sticking, I use a change of direction with a quick link and friction hitch above my device. I pull with my left hand, which aids in climbing while also tending slack above the device.

Before descending, just undo the change of direction, and take the tension off the friction hitch to make rope retrieval easier.
fce76723cfaf09028d4b6e28f9eb16fe.jpg
This is basically an SRT ing set up while one sticking which is great but, what about the slack when you reach the top of the stick and you need to reach down and advance your tether? You still have slack at that point correct?

Back