• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Barren ridge climber

Ontariofarmer

Just a different option. Likely not for me though

I now see there is already a post on this. Not sure if it includes the video though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Interesting. I would consider it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Am I the only 1 who thinks climbing with ur foot attached to something that's attached to the trunk isn't a good idea? Whether it's this thing or the swader things or whatever.....if u did have an accident and slip/slide/fall/stumble or whatever ur knee/foot/ankle has a real possibility of getting totally f-ed

Am I the only 1 who thinks climbing with ur foot attached to something that's attached to the trunk isn't a good idea? Whether it's this thing or the swader things or whatever.....if u did have an accident and slip/slide/fall/stumble or whatever ur knee/foot/ankle has a real possibility of getting totally f-ed
Step 15 swing off to the side and twist attached leg.

You guys should all either spot me the $280 - or better yet, message me and I'll give you my address to ship one of these to me! I would happily let you know if both ankles/knees are still straight at the end of the season.

I think this is one of the greatest potential climbing aids for saddle hunters to come along in a very long time. Every method of climbing has it's own distinct hazard(s) and we accept them all with our own climbing method but this seems pretty safe to me. The biggest 'risk' would happen if you had lots'o slack in your tether which is something that none of us should do anyhow.

This may not be the best option for everywhere people hunt, but for here in Florida having something to ascend poker-straight pines without getting sap all over the place would be the ticket. I am still trying to find a welder to make one of Mr. Price's 3.0 masterpieces. Today I found one who would make it out of 6061 aluminum (3/16 wall thickness) for $230. Price is getting better but still a LONG way off for what that stand is.

The climber on this thread looks like a winner to me. I would climb just short of my hunting height then put on a ROS with only 2 steps at 3:00 and 9:00 then inch this platform up the tree until it was perfect for the ROS height and gripe it down.

Its basically the two tether system climbing system.

Climbing principle is the same, but no one uses their foot tether as a platform at hunting height. This becomes your platform, so some people will consider that an advantage with one less piece of gear to carry.
I climb with a LWHC and use it as my platform. However, I carry a foot tether as a 2TC backup method if something happened to the LWHC while climbing or hunting. So, I’m not really carrying less gear.
I used to just climb with the LWHC and a rappel rope as my tether, so I didn’t need the 2TC backup system, but I still wanted a foot tether to use as a LB if I need to go around limbs. For me, a regular tether, 2TC backup and LWHC is my most streamlined system (unless I use only bolts).
ad6347832690e7cc122c528ea59dff25.png

Step 15 swing off to the side and twist attached leg.

I did swing off to the side at one point while strapped in to this thing, as I'm a very new climber/saddle hunter and not particularly athletic. The platform moved with me to some extent and I was fine. I suppose if my tether had completely failed and the platform wasn't set solidly enough to just support me, it could have been much worse.

Considering this for next season. Tired of carrying sticks and a platform. Not excited about using aiders either. Thinking this might be the ticket. Planning to rappel down

Got one for Christmas yesterday. Played with it for a couple hours then took it out hunting today….. Here is my thoughts on it so far
The holes lined up (mostly) I know that was an issue for some others but luckily mine lined up pretty good. The steel cable that came with it was short. I believe the website said it came a 4’ strap but the one on mine is just shy of 42” end to end. It fits on small trees only. The palm trees in my yard were too big around for it to fit. So oaks were definitely out of the question. I have a small diameter pole I use for exhibitions so I practiced on it.
Then I used it today on some small pine trees and it worked very well. It bit into the tree very well. It wasn’t as noisy as I feared it would be. The pin system being your highest potential for noise. The feet straps were pretty light duty and stayed on pretty good especially if you tighten the one that goes behind your ankle taut. I found the one foot climb method a little awkward at first, but after a couple practice climbs to 10’ and back it became really easy to do… Once at height it takes some getting used to, to remove the ankle and foot strap and then position it around the tree. I wear size 13 (some brands 14) boot and the platform had enough room for my feet comfortably. The question everyone seems to ask is side pressure, I wouldn’t recommend it. I used a couple squirrel steps on an OCB strap today and placed it just above where the platform bit the tree. That allowed me to walk out the whole tree without issue (remember with this platform you’re limited to small diameter trees). When I put it on my scale the platform came in around 1oz over the advertised weight which was great. All in all I am looking forward to permanently adding it to my arsenal when I’m stuck hunting young timber pine areas at our local WMA’s…. But I definitely won’t be ditching my climbing rope and Ridge runner platform anytime soon!

Last edited:
You guys should all either spot me the $280 - or better yet, message me and I'll give you my address to ship one of these to me! I would happily let you know if both ankles/knees are still straight at the end of the season.

I think this is one of the greatest potential climbing aids for saddle hunters to come along in a very long time. Every method of climbing has it's own distinct hazard(s) and we accept them all with our own climbing method but this seems pretty safe to me. The biggest 'risk' would happen if you had lots'o slack in your tether which is something that none of us should do anyhow.

This may not be the best option for everywhere people hunt, but for here in Florida having something to ascend poker-straight pines without getting sap all over the place would be the ticket. I am still trying to find a welder to make one of Mr. Price's 3.0 masterpieces. Today I found one who would make it out of 6061 aluminum (3/16 wall thickness) for $230. Price is getting better but still a LONG way off for what that stand is.

The climber on this thread looks like a winner to me. I would climb just short of my hunting height then put on a ROS with only 2 steps at 3:00 and 9:00 then inch this platform up the tree until it was perfect for the ROS height and gripe it down.
You won’t be able to get the steel cable around the steps to inch up that close. I lengthened my tether once at height, sat my butt down to the platform and hung my ROS at 9 and 1 between the cable and where the platform sat. It worked out really well

Back