• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Official Ground Hunting Thread

Personally, I prefer cover in most all directions. I want a view, but I also want to be hidden and not have to feel like a statue.
Yep I'd agree! I should clarify that I want as much cover as possible but a nice clear shooting lane (or two or three) in the direction I expect to shoot. Sometimes the lanes are only the diameter of a basketball or so.

It's getting colder and the wind howling around your backside in a saddle can bring some cold, miserable hunts so I decided to resurrect this thread.

I enjoy hunting from the ground and do so on most of my hunts. The saddle is fine hanging low with feet on the ground but there are definitely more useful, packable and comfortable options.

The Waldrop Pac Seat is comfortable and useful but can break the bank. A bucket is useful but uncomfortable. There are a myriad of hunting blind chairs that are useful too but clunky to carry.

Hammock chairs have been discussed on here in the past but I've never used one until the past couple of hunts. They are incredibly comfortable!! They pack down to about the size of an aerosol spray can and only weigh a couple pounds. I bought a cheapo off Amazon for around $36 and changed out the plastic buckle in the back with a more durable option. I liked the Amazon one so much I ended up buying one from Fanatic Outdoors called "Low Down Hunting Seat." I haven't received it yet but it looks more durable and functional than the Amazon option and I have nothing bad to say about the Amazon one besides the cheap buckle attachment.

I have zero affiliation with these companies and chairs, I just like to share with others when things work. The hammock chairs might give ya a couple other options when you want to pack deep, go light and be ultra comfortable.

The Waldrop is probably the most versatile but I'd say the hammock chair is the most comfortable for me when a tree or fence post is available to attach it to.

I've been considering the Waldrop but he recently raised his price. I got a Summit Chairpack but it's junk IMO. Cheap materials and noisy. Can't decide if I want hammock seat or not. The Low Down is like $85 with shipping. I'd almost rather put that money towards a Waldrop.

I've been considering the Waldrop but he recently raised his price. I got a Summit Chairpack but it's junk IMO. Cheap materials and noisy. Can't decide if I want hammock seat or not. The Low Down is like $85 with shipping. I'd almost rather put that money towards a Waldrop.

The Waldrop is very well built. I think it will last a lifetime. I paid the new increased price and I’m not mad about it.

The cheapo Amazon one isn't bad and if you have an extra 1" buckle laying around it'll work. It might work with the one they sent but I wouldn't trust it too far since I weigh 220 lbs.

I like the Waldrop because it'll support itself, and the hammock seat needs something to hang one end off. I think the hammock seat is more comfortable but I wasn't aware it could get better than the comfort the Waldrop offers until I tried a hammock seat. On the other hand, I prefer the packability of the hammock seat.

My Waldrop seat developed a popping noise but he provides instructions how to remedy all the little squeaks and pops that may develop and it's easy enough to take care of it shouldn't dissuade someone from purchasing one.

Edit: I just got the Low Down Hammock seat in tonight and the fabric is a little noisy, actually noisier than the Amazon hammock seat. The Low Down Hammock seat packs down a little larger and is a bit heavier than the Amazon one too but seems to be heavier duty too. I'm sure the fabric will soften up and quiet down with use.

Last edited:
The cheapo Amazon one isn't bad and if you have an extra 1" buckle laying around it'll work. It might work with the one they sent but I wouldn't trust it too far since I weigh 220 lbs.

I like the Waldrop because it'll support itself, and the hammock seat needs something to hang one end off. I think the hammock seat is more comfortable but I wasn't aware it could get better than the comfort the Waldrop offers until I tried a hammock seat. On the other hand, I prefer the packability of the hammock seat.

My Waldrop seat developed a popping noise but he provides instructions how to remedy all the little squeaks and pops that may develop and it's easy enough to take care of it shouldn't dissuade someone from purchasing one.

Edit: I just got the Low Down Hammock seat in tonight and the fabric is a little noisy, actually noisier than the Amazon hammock seat. The Low Down Hammock seat packs down a little larger and is a bit heavier than the Amazon one too but seems to be heavier duty too. I'm sure the fabric will soften up and quiet down with use.

There was a thread over on Archery Talk and several people also said that the material on the Low Down was noisy. The consensus seems to be that most people are satisfied with the Waldrop. So I may have to pick one up for next season.

I have the hammock seat, too. I changed out the seat with quieter material. I had Jared at simplylightdesigns make it for me. I think he charged me like $25, but that was probably about 8-10 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Screenshot_20211123-055047_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20211123-055055_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20211123-055103_Gallery.jpg

This is my favorite setup for the ground. The seat is a Walkstool Comfort; slings across my back like a quiver, quick and quiet to set up, and more comfortable than my Niff-T seat. I usually use it in the low setting, in a kneeling position with both knees on the ground,, so havent worried too much about the bright aluminum legs. First pic is all I take to the woods except what I carry in my pockets.

I have the hammock seat, too. I changed out the seat with quieter material. I had Jared at simplylightdesigns make it for me. I think he charged me like $25, but that was probably about 8-10 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I'll be experimenting with fleece on one of the Amazon ones soon.

Back in the day when I used to be able to hunt a farm with standing corn I used to hunt the waterways. I’d take a small stool or just sit on my knees a few feet in the corn and use bungee cords to make a couple shooting lanes. When the weather got windy and rainy I’d walk the rows looking for deer. The more wind the better. Got close and killed a bunch of deer like that and had more fun than I ever did in a tree. I don’t have access anymore and I sure do miss it.

I have been using the Waldrop most of the season, new hunting spot and very few climbable trees. Can carry everything I need, waist pack, bibs, coat and DIY blind. The blind is two pols wit 6 foot of material gives me some front cover from feet to chest. I love this seat, only complaint is I almost fell asleep a few times.

Attachments

• Pack Seat 1.jpg
    Pack Seat 1.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 82
Leave ur platform and climbing method at the truck and strike off in just ur saddle....u be surprised all the good spots u can tether in at ground level and hunt....works here in the south at least
I really like the idea of using the saddle at ground level. Worst part of ground hunting for me is I can never get comfortable so I’m always moving.

I really like the idea of using the saddle at ground level. Worst part of ground hunting for me is I can never get comfortable so I’m always moving.
Same here...I have a bad back and can only handle an hour or so sitting in a chair...sitting on the ground I'm constantly adjusting.
I've had good luck tethered at ground level...quick setup for sure

Leave ur platform and climbing method at the truck and strike off in just ur saddle....u be surprised all the good spots u can tether in at ground level and hunt....works here in the south at least
Saddle hunting for squirrels at ground level works really well. Lets you brace against a tree and wait them out as you watch them through the scope with a little cover between you and them

Does using a jx3 at ground level on or off a tree count? I might not use it over my climber but beats sitting on a cold boulder edge looking over 3 benches down a holler during the rifle and roll mg season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok so I do t think I saw it. I was introduced to stump holes last year and they are awesome just get down in them. I’ve ground hunted most of my life. Im bad to find sign and just plop down. It’s important be still and break up your outline. I’ve had deer close within feet twice. Once I was in a little screen blind zip tied to some limbs. I swear she came up out of the ground. I just shot her through the blind but my personal favorite was I got irritated sitting in a tree stand one day. I was 13. I got down found a pinch in the creeks and sat down. My youth fouled me. I sat down literally on the edge of the trail. I had no clue. I stuck branched up around me like just sobbed in the dirt. Well 15 minutes later. I hear steps. Look to my right and I could have touched this does leg. She was smelling me. I just creeped the barrel up to chest height. Lol. Pulled the trigger. Killed the deer. She fell in ten yards and I had one heck of a stove up wrist.

View attachment 57492View attachment 57493View attachment 57494

This is my favorite setup for the ground. The seat is a Walkstool Comfort; slings across my back like a quiver, quick and quiet to set up, and more comfortable than my Niff-T seat. I usually use it in the low setting, in a kneeling position with both knees on the ground,, so havent worried too much about the bright aluminum legs. First pic is all I take to the woods except what I carry in my pockets.

Would you say this seat is way more comfortable than the standard cheap 3 legged stool? Seems like having this larger seat area than the cheapo stools would really increase the comfort factor. Also, how do you like sitting while the stool is collapsed down all the way for hunting behind some short cover?

Back