• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman and Grigri Plus for single stick

MyanDelta

So I am wanting to make the move to single stick and was looking for a good belay device. First choice based on reviews would be the Mad Rock Safeguard but unfortunately it’s sold out everywhere. Wanting to get going before the season ends, I went ahead and ordered the Grigri plus.

Reading on the Grigri I have seen some folks stating it can slide when any slack is applied. I’m already not a huge fan of heights so the thought of dropping a few inches when sitting back into the saddle would likely require a change of undies.

I was wondering if it made sense to use a ropeman for hanging in the tree and then safely switch to the grigri for the descent. Does anyone have any experience with this approach or any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I am watching. Recently I took the safeguard out of rotation. No safety concerns, I just like rappelling more with a figure 8. I one stick with a ropeman and then switch over to a figure 8 right before I come down. I absolutely hate friction hitches.

You could tie a Schwabisch hitch above the Grigri. The Grigri will tend the schwabisch up the tree when you single stick or SRT.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I one-stick and hunt with a dedicated tether then switch to my rappel rope and a figure eight when it's time to come down...

That makes sense. I have no problem with the extra rope. I’m wondering if I needed to spend the $129 on the Grigri if a figure 8 would work. Not too late to cancel the order.

I am watching. Recently I took the safeguard out of rotation. No safety concerns, I just like rappelling more with a figure 8. I one stick with a ropeman and then switch over to a figure 8 right before I come down. I absolutely hate friction hitches.

Any recommendations on figure 8 devices? Or is it a case of they’re all pretty much the same?

That makes sense. I have no problem with the extra rope. I’m wondering if I needed to spend the $129 on the Grigri if a figure 8 would work. Not too late to cancel the order.
In my opinion if you are planning to switch to the rappel after climbing and hunting, I’d go with a figure eight over the grigri.

I bet if you get the GriGri, you will like it better. I use an original with an auto block above. Remove autoblock and descend smooth.

Try the Gri Gri. I had the same uneasy feeling when I first used my Lifeguard with no experience. After sitting down in the saddle while up in the tree about a dozen times, I realized it was going to catch me every time. The feeling just went away. The Gri Gri will work fine.

Reading on the Grigri I have seen some folks stating it can slide when any slack is applied. I’m already not a huge fan of heights so the thought of dropping a few inches when sitting back into the saddle would likely require a change of undies.
[/QUOTE]

I have a Grigri2, similar to the Grigri Plus. The Grigri2 does lose its bite on the line if unweighted and there is no guarantee that it will catch you. Thus the Grigri2 should always be under tension. Never used a Grigri+ but I see nothing in the description that says it won’t behave the same as the Grigri 2 with regard to losing tension. Looks like it has some extra knobs too for setting the use mode.

I’d read the manual carefully and test it out at ground level.

I have a long bridge and a short bridge on my saddle, when I want to rappel I attach a biner and figure 8 to the rope on the long bridge above the Ropeman 1 (the Ropeman 1 is attached to the rope on the short bridge), with both hands on the rope you can open the gate on the Ropeman 1 and have a very safe controlled decent, if you want to stop just let the gate close.

Last edited:
I one stick with my tether and Kong duck and when ready to rappel switch over to my rappel line and hook up to figure 8 easy Peasy and takes less then a minute and after I set weight on the eight I take my climbing tether off tree and store in bag or pouch and away I go. No more mad rocks or gri gri for me I like you can control the right and smooth descent all the way down and if I have to stop real easy to do another wrap and be hands free. Thanks to @phatkaw for showing the way

I'm just curious.
What rope do you have for rappelling?
I had less than happy results with a hollow block and C-IV. I mean it worked, but not that good...

By the time I bought more ropes I kinda already gave up on the hollow block and I don't think I tried it on any of my other ropes?

I personally like the oplux with figure eight I feel it’s smoother than my back CIV no hollow block needed

I use a rope man to ascend and switch then hook up the original GriGri to come down. I may try an auto block next year above the GriGri to use one device. I wasn’t happy with the GriGri unloading when one sticking which is why I started using my rope man to climb. Being able to use one device to climb and come down would be ideal though as I use my rappel rope the entire time and switching over when hanging from the tree in the dark is a pain.

Back