• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2 Panel Saddle with One Sticking

mzldr2

I am looking to possibly switch to a 2 panel saddle for next year. I currently have a TL Ambush Pro and looking for something a bit more adjustable. Are there any negatives to using 2 panel saddles with one stick climbing? My main concern was the panels not staying in place if slack is introduced? Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Thx.

I have been one sticking with my ESS. As long as you can figure out a way to keep the panels together it’s fine. I’m still working on the best way to do that and will work through the off season. The clips that came with the saddle are not the best. Will try sewing magnets onto it to keep them in place. I used para 550 to tie the panels during the climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my testing I found the Method to work well until the slack was there and then the bottom panel seemed too get too low. I now have a Transformer style custom saddle and I find it to be the best of both worlds.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I would look at a 2 panel that has adjustment straps that attach to each panel. Something like a Cruzr Archon or Overwatch Transformer.

I’m curious about this also. Specifically how well it works with the latitude method 2

I use a Method for 1 sticking and platform climbing. The saddle works great and is comfortable throughout the climb. I would think any 2 panel would work similar as long as you can keep the panels "set". I added adjustable straps to mine immediately to keep the panels at my preferred distance. I think the Method 2 comes with straps now, so it's 1 less thing to mod.
Resizer_16389533904840.jpg

If you use a recon or something similar a bungie belt is a must. It keeps everything situated when slack is introduced. I wouldn’t be caught without one.

I have the Cruzr Archon and have no issues with one sticking. I keep the straps up until I’m at hunting height and then adjust them to comfort

I had an original Method and did not like it for one sticking or SRT as the panels would move. I think most saddle makers have resolved that with the panel connecting straps. I should be receiving my Overwatch Transformer today or tomorrow so hopefully I will know soon if that resolved it.

thanks for all the feedback guys! My suspicions were correct as far as panels moving, but at least I have several valid options to look at now!

It's not totally perfect but I feel safe and comfortable one-sticking with the ESS. I wear the waist belt right above my pants belt, and tighten it, then situate the bottom panel right under my butt, so there's almost no distance between panels. I snug up the leg loops and that keeps the bottom panel in place. Once I get to height, i loosen up the waist belt and leg loops until the panels can move again and everything feels comfortable. Rappel down like sitting in a swingset :D

It's not totally perfect but I feel safe and comfortable one-sticking with the ESS. I wear the waist belt right above my pants belt, and tighten it, then situate the bottom panel right under my butt, so there's almost no distance between panels. I snug up the leg loops and that keeps the bottom panel in place. Once I get to height, i loosen up the waist belt and leg loops until the panels can move again and everything feels comfortable. Rappel down like sitting in a swingset :D
Overall, How do you like the ESS?

Overall, How do you like the ESS?

I like it, though it's the only saddle I've ever tried. I don't wear it in I just put on at tree, and I don't hang any pouches on it. I don't think it was necessarily designed for this, but those are the main gripes I hear about it. For me, it's minimal, packs small, and is very comfortable.

Back