• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking of starting to 1- stick......don't sell your sticks to quickly

I watched nearly every 1 - stick video on Youtube, many of them multiple times. In every video, the climber has slack in the tether when they transition off of their stick, raise the stick and then climb back up the aider steps to the stick. For some, this is a non issues and they can live with it. I can as well but would avoid if possible.

I’m 56, fat and not a fan of heights at all, but I have been using a single stick for 3 years. Strangely enough the slack tether doesn’t bother me.

I will say this though, there’s plenty of methods talked about on here and shown on YouTube for one sticking that make me scratch my head. Let me just say this for you to ponder going forward; when you initially set your tether on the tree and clip in you should never have to adjust that orientation. When you get that figured out one sticking becomes very repeatable.

Also, there’s no reason to ever climb above your bottom step. I’ve seen videos and read where people climb all the way to the top of their stick then they have to rappel down to get their stick….insanity. I’m thinking these are the people taking 20-30 minutes and up to climb. Craziness.

I keep my slack out with a simple change of direction. I pull down the tag end of the rope, as I step up the stick.

2182d89e41cd3488bb9ebdf659ea8c38.jpg

47932547205d3c474f4b537da7e9d546.jpg

Semper Fi,
Mike

So you hop up on the top step and raise your tether as high as you can get it. Then descend down your tether to reach your stick. Then raise your stick and step into the aider. Then stand up while taking the slack out of your tether at the same time. Then put your free foot on the bottom step and step up while taking all of the slack out of your tether at the same time. Then put a foot on the top step and step up while taking the slack out of your tether at the same time. Then raising your tether again? Do you tether into a second tether so you can raise your first without introducing slack into it?

Feels like you’re trying to make this seem more complicated than it is, for whatever reason….

If I hang my stick 6” below my tether then when I step onto my stick, the tether is below my knees - quite a bit of slack if my stick gives out right then. If I hang my stick 3’ below my tether then it’s at my waist or higher. I have eliminated 2.5’ of slack by having my tether higher.

Yes, I tend my line by pulling on the tag end as I move up. I don’t move the tether up as I climb - I don’t like doing that when I’m standing in my aider as I feel unstable and want to have my hands available for balance.

Last edited:
How are you avoiding the slack when you finally do move the tether up for the next move?

For those using sticks, We’d never fall that far, instead we’d get impaled from a climbing stick.

Why I’m hoping to do mostly SRT presets next season, if I can figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. I did a little SRT this year and would like to be doing that almost exclusively next year. Heck I might pair SRT with a ROS and be really light and compact.

For those using sticks, We’d never fall that far, instead we’d get impaled from a climbing stick.

Why I’m hoping to do mostly SRT presets next season, if I can figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srt is easy enough, but not the right choice for every tree. There’s various methods to climb. Don’t be dogmatic about any One method being the only way to go. They are all just tools for the toolbox

Semper Fi,
Mike

On the matter of carrying multiple sticks, one stick, or just rope to SRT, they all have their preferred application. That said, I carry one stick and enough rope to SRT. My one-stick has a platform on it, I use the same set up for one sticking and SRT climbing. The UP platform on my stick suits me fine regardless of my climbing method. The area that I hunt, I have not found a tree that would be better to use multiple sticks. Often times, I will hunt one location in the morning, and in the afternoon another. Depending upon wind direction will determine which tree I climb. I am prepared either way.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Last edited:
So you hop up on the top step and raise your tether as high as you can get it. Then descend down your tether to reach your stick. Then raise your stick and step into the aider. Then stand up while taking the slack out of your tether at the same time. Then put your free foot on the bottom step and step up while taking all of the slack out of your tether at the same time. Then put a foot on the top step and step up while taking the slack out of your tether at the same time. Then raising your tether again? Do you tether into a second tether so you can raise your first without introducing slack into it?

Hey brother, you are way overthinking this. And the manner in which you were asking questions infers that you think one sticking is introducing some extra danger into climbing.

Semper Fi,
Mike

I may be excommunicated from the saddle community, but this year I’ve settled on what I believe checks all the right boxes (for me):
2-sticking + lightweight hang-on + TH recon.

Each stick is equipped with a 3-step amsteel aider which rolls up nicely against the bottom step of each stick and secured with nite ize gear ties.
With two sticks my platform consistently is placed 17-18’ high (without stretching).

The same could be done with a saddle platform or ring of steps, but I needed to run a stand this year due to tree types in my area (young branchy trees and dense cedars).
I still wear my sling instead of a full body harness for several reasons:
1. If I get tired of sitting on seat, I can switch it up.
2. Lighter, streamlined, no extra straps over shoulders.
3. In the event I wanted to go higher, I can one stick with my top stick.
4. I can set my stand on the backside of trees and hunt saddle style.

I must say, I have thoroughly enjoyed my stand setup. I don’t have to run a backpack any more (simple admin pouch zip tied to underside of seat).
My entire setup, including all gear (except bow and sling + tether) weighs 16.3 pounds on my scales.

For any interested, I’m running a Novix helo and two beast stick minis. Aiders from Custom Amsteel Products (18” step to step).

Just thought I’d share for anyone considering one sticking. I strongly recommend giving two-sticking a shot first. Doubt there’s much weight savings since you don’t need belay device or rappel rope.

5d0dd0e8054c538b791e1cd573069348.jpg

Hey brother, you are way overthinking this. And the manner in which you were asking questions infers that you think one sticking is introducing some extra danger into climbing.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Far from it, I haven’t climbed any other way in the last 3 years. But, I don’t go up and down to go up and I don’t fret the 3.5’ of slack that I get in my tether.

I’m simply trying to understand the mindset of going up and down to go up and to figure out how you are moving your tether up without inducing slack once you get to the top step.

Semper Fi,
Mike
@ShooterMike How long is your onestick? I love your method with the prusik and extra quick link. My stick is 12” and if I set my tether as high as I can and then put the stick under the rope as high as I can, by the time I get to the bottom step the tether would be about knee high. Granted your method is the best I have seen to control slack, but there is a lot of adjustment to be made once you are on the stick. Unless you have 3 hands, I don’t see you getting reset without some slack. Do you deploy a LB or just take the risk for the brief period? Just trying to get this sequence sorted in my head cause your method looks like something I want to replicate.

Far from it, I haven’t climbed any other way in the last 3 years. But, I don’t go up and down to go up and I don’t fret the 3.5’ of slack that I get in my tether.

I’m simply trying to understand the mindset of going up and down to go up and to figure out how you are moving your tether up without inducing slack once you get to the top step.

Ah, gotcha. It’s not as much “up and back down” as what it seems, really. My setup for example, I have the gear tie that sticks out of the top of the stick, I just lean over and grab it. But even before I had that, a rappel of 2 feet or so is insignificant. With my one-stick setup I make 3 or 4 moves and I’m at hunting height, depending on the location. I usually hunt between 18 and 22 feet.

Semper Fi,
Mike

@ShooterMike How long is your onestick? I love your method with the prusik and extra quick link. My stick is 12” and if I set my tether as high as I can and then put the stick under the rope as high as I can, by the time I get to the bottom step the tether would be about knee high. Granted your method is the best I have seen to control slack, but there is a lot of adjustment to be made once you are on the stick. Unless you have 3 hands, I don’t see you getting reset without some slack. Do you deploy a LB or just take the risk for the brief period? Just trying to get this sequence sorted in my head cause your method looks like something I want to replicate.

I have two sticks setup the same. One of them is 18” and the other is 15”. They both have two step aiders on them. When I step up on the stick, yes there is some slack, but is minimal. You just gotta figure out where to set the stick so that when you get to the top of it, the tether is at a reasonable height so that you can control the slack. From that point, I move slowly and quietly and slip the tether up to the next point, then move my stick. There is some slack, yeah, but not as much as it was before I started using the change of direction.

I don’t use a linemans belt, but I keep an extra tether in my pouch for a “what-if” situation

Semper Fi,
Mike

I have two sticks setup the same. One of them is 18” and the other is 15”. They both have two step aiders on them. When I step up on the stick, yes there is some slack, but is minimal. You just gotta figure out where to set the stick so that when you get to the top of it, the tether is at a reasonable height so that you can control the slack. From that point, I move slowly and quietly and slip the tether up to the next point, then move my stick. There is some slack, yeah, but not as much as it was before I started using the change of direction.

I don’t use a linemans belt, but I keep an extra tether in my pouch for a “what-if” situation

Semper Fi,
Mike
Thanks. You have come closer than any others I have to solving the problem.

Ah, gotcha. It’s not as much “up and back down” as what it seems, really. My setup for example, I have the gear tie that sticks out of the top of the stick, I just lean over and grab it. But even before I had that, a rappel of 2 feet or so is insignificant. With my one-stick setup I make 3 or 4 moves and I’m at hunting height, depending on the location. I usually hunt between 18 and 22 feet.

Semper Fi,
Mike

I’m a fan of minimizing actions needed. I put my stick on the tree with my aider just above my knee. Then my tether as high as I can reach and clip in and take all the slack out. This is the last time I change anything on my tether while climbing.

Step in the aider and up to the bottom step with both feet then move my tether up again as high as I can reach.

Now I move my stick up till my aider is where my top step was and repeat. I use a daisy chain and start with it loose so I don’t have to undo it to move the stick up the tree unless I’m going around a limb.

I do have slack once I stand up in the aider and more when I stand on the bottoms step, right at 3 feet worth. I’m not small so I just grab the tree when climbing and I don’t use a lineman’s rope.

I can make 3 stick moves and be at the same height as using 4 sticks without aiders and that’s plenty high for me. In fact, if I used 4 sticks they would be in the exact spots where my 1 stick is as I climb.

I may be excommunicated from the saddle community, but this year I’ve settled on what I believe checks all the right boxes (for me):
2-sticking + lightweight hang-on + TH recon.

Each stick is equipped with a 3-step amsteel aider which rolls up nicely against the bottom step of each stick and secured with nite ize gear ties.
With two sticks my platform consistently is placed 17-18’ high (without stretching).

The same could be done with a saddle platform or ring of steps, but I needed to run a stand this year due to tree types in my area (young branchy trees and dense cedars).
I still wear my sling instead of a full body harness for several reasons:
1. If I get tired of sitting on seat, I can switch it up.
2. Lighter, streamlined, no extra straps over shoulders.
3. In the event I wanted to go higher, I can one stick with my top stick.
4. I can set my stand on the backside of trees and hunt saddle style.

I must say, I have thoroughly enjoyed my stand setup. I don’t have to run a backpack any more (simple admin pouch zip tied to underside of seat).
My entire setup, including all gear (except bow and sling + tether) weighs 16.3 pounds on my scales.

For any interested, I’m running a Novix helo and two beast stick minis. Aiders from Custom Amsteel Products (18” step to step).

Just thought I’d share for anyone considering one sticking. I strongly recommend giving two-sticking a shot first. Doubt there’s much weight savings since you don’t need belay device or rappel rope.

5d0dd0e8054c538b791e1cd573069348.jpg
I'm doing Essentially the same thing with a helo and 3 lone wolf minis. Each has a 2 step aider but I could certainly do something similar with 3 step aiders. I like the nitize tie for the aiders. This is a seriously viable setup.

Also, there’s no reason to ever climb above your bottom step. I’ve seen videos and read where people climb all the way to the top of their stick then they have to rappel down to get their stick….insanity. I’m thinking these are the people taking 20-30 minutes and up to climb. Craziness.

The top of my stick (plus 3 step aider) from the ground is 7'. I climb to the top of my stick, set my tether rope as high as I can reach, rappel down to the stick and move it as high as I can comfortably reach. Gaining about 5' with each move.
16-17' in two moves. 20-22' in 3 moves. This takes no more than 5 minutes. Add 2 minutes if using a lineman belt in conjunction with the tether.

Either way it takes me no longer to one stick compared to mulitple sticks to the same height when you factor in the prep work/fiddle factor needed with multiple sticks. (Rope and aider management.)

The top of my stick (plus 3 step aider) from the ground is 7'. I climb to the top of my stick, set my tether rope as high as I can reach, rappel down to the stick and move it as high as I can comfortably reach. Gaining about 5' with each move.
16-17' in two moves. 20-22' in 3 moves. This takes no more than 5 minutes. Add 2 minutes if using a lineman belt in conjunction with the tether.

Either way it takes me no longer to one stick compared to mulitple sticks to the same height when you factor in the prep work/fiddle factor needed with multiple sticks. (Rope and aider management.)

I’m fine with a single step aider. Adding a second step freaks me out, lol.

Back