• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lightest Climbing Methods?

No sir, I’d have two or three of these setup on buckles. Place them up as I go. Kinda using it like some guys use wild edge steps. Maybe I should just scrap this, I’m not super sure the best way to move the aider. I could take out the gate but I didn’t like how it looked on the amsteel loop.
Yah don't scrap it yet, you've given me something to think about. What I am going to try is using two steps and my all webbing swaider/knaider combo. I think I would also use a cam buckle instead of an ocb in this application. Thinking is that the cam buckle will be tight enough but unlikely to let go on me during the climb. Four sets of steps should be under 5 pounds

Yah don't scrap it yet, you've given me something to think about. What I am going to try is using two steps and my all webbing swaider/knaider combo. I think I would also use a cam buckle instead of an ocb in this application. Thinking is that the cam buckle will be tight enough but unlikely to let go on me during the climb. Four sets of steps should be under 5 pounds
Yea I used a OCB because I thought it would get tighter. I might have to switch to a normal cam strap. Now I’ve thinking of some sort of stirrup like weldabeast mentioned! I was thinking if this worked carrying it in a dumb pouch and it would weight nothing

Now that’s an idea good sir! And how would u do you rope idea?
Here is stirrup info...... https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/soft-platform.44238/

I have 2 stirrups that I attach the aider to. Attach stirrup 1 and attach aider, climb aider, step into stirrup, reach up and attach 2nd stirrup, reach down and unhook aider and attach to 2nd stirrup, step into aider, reach down and untie stirrup 1, climb aider... And repeat till at the height u wanna be. It works great. The thing I don't like about the 1 stick method is once u sit in the saddle to take the weight off the stick u loose a foot or more of height vs standing on a top step. So I made the 2 stirrup system so I can get a true 6-7 foot per aider move. During this off season I gonna try with no stirrups and just a rope timber hitch anchor and do the 1 stick method....I have to play with it to make up my mind if those extra minutes/loss of height is worth it to carry the stirrups. It will work either way...I have to determine if the extra movements/anchor sets worth it....here is pic of my current stirrup with aider attached...I gonna play with just the rope anchor like the black rope. I would drop 2 pounds off of my carry weight and loose a pouch off my vest.... But having the 2 steps is so nice.... Compromises

Screenshot_20220113-170123~2.pngScreenshot_20220113-173555~2.png

Here is stirrup info...... https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/soft-platform.44238/

I have 2 stirrups that I attach the aider to. Attach stirrup 1 and attach aider, climb aider, step into stirrup, reach up and attach 2nd stirrup, reach down and unhook aider and attach to 2nd stirrup, step into aider, reach down and untie stirrup 1, climb aider... And repeat till at the height u wanna be. It works great. The thing I don't like about the 1 stick method is once u sit in the saddle to take the weight off the stick u loose a foot or more of height vs standing on a top step. So I made the 2 stirrup system so I can get a true 6-7 foot per aider move. During this off season I gonna try with no stirrups and just a rope timber hitch anchor and do the 1 stick method....I have to play with it to make up my mind if those extra minutes/loss of height is worth it to carry the stirrups. It will work either way...I have to determine if the extra movements/anchor sets worth it....here is pic of my current stirrup with aider attached...I gonna play with just the rope anchor like the black rope. I would drop 2 pounds off of my carry weight and loose a pouch off my vest.... But having the 2 steps is so nice.... Compromises

View attachment 60221View attachment 60222
I created and named the Saddle Hunter's Hitch as a gift to the Saddle Community. THESE are the kinds of applications where it's a perfect match. Forget about exactly how much rope you have and simply grab a longer strand... you can attach anything at any height and tie in the bight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I created and named the Saddle Hunter's Hitch as a gift to the Saddle Community. THESE are the kinds of applications where it's a perfect match. Forget about exactly how much rope you have and simply grab a longer strand... you can attach anything at any height and tie in the bight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I honestly haven't watched or researched but plan on it this off season...

I bought some anti-gravity boots off of the Ali-Baba website. I’m not planting on using sticks or ropes anymore. I’m gonna float up the tree and tie in and be done with it. Super light.

Semper Fi,
Mike
It'll sound like a long snort wheeze too!

Did some figuring and with 4 cam straps, 8 pioneer steps, 4 amsteel continuous loop, carabiner, and then the black diamond aider it would weight less than 4lbs. Figure if all goes well you could get 5-7 feet a set. So 20’ or 28’. Would all fit in a dump pouch which would be sweet. One of 3 climbing method I’ll be practicing over the summer

Anyone try these vs climbing spurs? If they're well made, they might be a legal alternative to spikes?

Hey guys, tinkering with a lightweight climbing method and need some opinions. I’ve seen a somewhat similar climbing method only using one step on a strap. I thought two would be nicer.

Setup is EWO OCB buckle, two tree hoppers, an 1/8 amsteel continuous loop, black diamond carabiner and black diamond aider. Anyone see anything abnormally unsafe here? Ik my feet are a little closer to the tree/pole but mainly curious what others think. Not really high on my priority list of climbing methods but wanting to give It a try.

Also please take a peak at how I looped the strap through the OCB? Is this incorrect? It popped open on me with my full body weight. Which didn’t instill much confidence in this setup already. Thanks!

Tried this today with webbing knaider/swaider. Right now leaning towards cambuckle and hook because every once in a while an OCB pops open. So this is a little heavier but four of these gets me to 20ft+ in under 4 lbs. By the way, also tried this with HangN30 but there wasn’t a good way to use my aiders with them.

Attachments

• E2C1238B-1099-4A60-A071-067214EB4B39.jpeg
    E2C1238B-1099-4A60-A071-067214EB4B39.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 32
Tried this today with webbing knaider/swaider. Right now leaning towards cambuckle and hook because every once in a while an OCB pops open. So this is a little heavier but four of these gets me to 20ft+ in under 4 lbs. By the way, also tried this with HangN30 but there wasn’t a good way to use my aiders with them.
Heck yea! I’m curious how u use a knaider/swaider. I’m trying to figure out how it attaches. What hook are you using?

Boudreaux Boswell reviewed those a few years ago...

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I forgot all about these. Wild times. The search for out of the box solutions was a lot of fun. Now we peruse endless marginally altered, purpose made stuff.

Anyway, I wonder if someone could improve these, like a lighter aluminum set? Ooal?

I also wonder if you could effectively use one foot/leg only and use your saddle a la a hand climber?

Back