• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Baiting

skydoc

I know in KY it is illegal to bait or put minerals on public land. Some of the private I hunt backs up to public. I’ve search the laws and can’t find it mentioned. Is there a distance away from public land that you must maintain when baiting or placing minerals? Or can ya place it anywhere in private?

I’m in KY as well but not a lawyer or green pants. The way I see it you can have it anywhere as long as it’s on your land.
If you’re in the CWD surveillance zone like me tho there is now no baiting allowed on private land either.

I’m over here in the southeast. That was my interpretation. Just hard to read all the rules when they don’t make them readily available.

Call the game warden and ask to know for sure. My guy around here is super cool and approachable.

Call the game warden and ask to know for sure. My guy around here is super cool and approachable.
Any time I ask a MN CO a regs question, they pull out their copy of the regs, we read it together, and he tells me how he and his colleagues interpret and enforce it. I don't expect them to have the whole book committed to memory, and sometimes my questions hinge on a particular phrasing in the book. Sometimes the MN book is poorly written, and asking the CO how they interpret it, or what sort of guidance they're getting from their supervisors or the courts, is very helpful.

I think the stickier issue would be someone hunting on the public side within view of the bait. They tried to railroad our natural resource head for hunting turkey over bait. The "bait" IIRC was a bird feeder om private ground a few hundred yards away on private ground

I think the stickier issue would be someone hunting on the public side within view of the bait. They tried to railroad our natural resource head for hunting turkey over bait. The "bait" IIRC was a bird feeder om private ground a few hundred yards away on private ground
Laws get sticky when it’s left to interpretation. I’ll try to give the local guy a call. At least then I will know the interpretation of the guy that’ll be writing me the ticket! lol

Post up your findings. I'm in SC Kentucky, and I border public. If there's a certain distance away from public that I have to be with that...I may have to change a few things.

I’m jealous of y’all in other counties outside of Western KY. I typically run mineral blocks year round and usually get some good buck pictures in the summer. CWD regulations have changed that tho!

I’m jealous of y’all in other counties outside of Western KY. I typically run mineral blocks year round and usually get some good buck pictures in the summer. CWD regulations have changed that tho!
Maybe you could locate an isolated water source and get the same sort of effect naturally. If it's as hot and dry up your way as it is here that might be a possibility.

Post up your findings. I'm in SC Kentucky, and I border public. If there's a certain distance away from public that I have to be with that...I may have to change a few things.
I sure will. Will call monday morning and try to get some answers. Any other regulations that anyone would like me to ask about?

Maybe you could locate an isolated water source and get the same sort of effect naturally. If it's as hot and dry up your way as it is here that might be a possibility.
Unfortunately where i hunt the water is around every corner.

I don't know how it's phrased in OH, but that's a no-go in MN, where "hunting over bait" includes trails or similar features leading to an artificial bait pile. Feed plots are legal, but bait isn't. I can plant a field of pumpkins and hunt over it, but if I move all the pumpkins into a pile and hunt over that, I'm baiting. Mineral blocks are fine as long as they don't contain any food products, like molasses. IIRC, bird feeders are specifically mentioned in the statute; I think this stems from a case where a guy had a "bird feeder" full of corn suspended from the bottom of his tripod stand.

I don't know how it's phrased in OH, but that's a no-go in MN, where "hunting over bait" includes trails or similar features leading to an artificial bait pile. Feed plots are legal, but bait isn't. I can plant a field of pumpkins and hunt over it, but if I move all the pumpkins into a pile and hunt over that, I'm baiting. Mineral blocks are fine as long as they don't contain any food products, like molasses. IIRC, bird feeders are specifically mentioned in the statute; I think this stems from a case where a guy had a "bird feeder" full of corn suspended from the bottom of his tripod stand.
She ended being cleared because she wasnt even hunting on public ground. Just some people with an axe to grind.

Just curious are you guys in Ky seeing many deer? I'm in north east Ky and after the EHD outbreak we had I'm not seeing many deer hear.

Just curious are you guys in Ky seeing many deer? I'm in north east Ky and after the EHD outbreak we had I'm not seeing many deer hear.
Yea we have too many down here. Unlimited doe tags. lol come kill some!

I have to drive a half hour in each direction from my home to get to the two nearest cities, and I like to snake through a lot of rural roads instead of straight highways. I see a good number of deer. The other night I was driving home just before dark, and probably seen at least 10 deer through the entire route, including a couple of nicely developing bucks.

Same issue here with the water. Most people don’t realize it but KY has an extremely high amount of flowing water and coastline. I believe we have the most flowing water of all states except Alaska

Back