• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to trad.

Does it hurt anything to store this with the string on? Seems I see most guys have them off when stored.

Does it hurt anything to store this with the string on? Seems I see most guys have them off when stored.

I have recurves that have been strung for over 20+ yrs with no loss of performance. I personally think the risk of twisting a limb when stringing/unstringing is greater than any risk of leaving them string.

Only bows I would unstring are self bows.

Come on out the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters annual Jamboree in July. It's a great 3-day event of camping, shooting, novelties, and traditional archery vendors and bowyers that'll have plenty of bows and equipment to try out. Everyone there will be willing and ready to help out anyone interested in testing the trad waters.

Are you Trad-Curious? 286928729_980516532639777_8232055727968015393_n.png

Come on out the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters annual Jamboree in July. It's a great 3-day event of camping, shooting, novelties, and traditional archery vendors and bowyers that'll have plenty of bows and equipment to try out. Everyone there will be willing and ready to help out anyone interested in testing the trad waters.

Are you Trad-Curious? View attachment 66871
That looks sweet. Not sure if I will have enough time to try and make it their. But I will write it down on the calendar.

Still working out the kinks on shooting my longbow. Last year I was shooting into the block but could never really feel confident enough with my results. I was extremely inconsistent both in ranging and aim.

This year I started my own version of backyard stump shooting. I've been randomly throwing empty 20 gauge shot shells into the back yard from 10-15yds from the deck then shooting at them. I don't know if its the aim small miss small syndrome or what but I am feeling more confident all the time. These are the results of three consecutive shots tonight. I actually hit the second one and flipped it to where it is shown.

1656120635401.png1656120676464.png1656120720278.png

Still working out the kinks on shooting my longbow. Last year I was shooting into the block but could never really feel confident enough with my results. I was extremely inconsistent both in ranging and aim.

This year I started my own version of backyard stump shooting. I've been randomly throwing empty 20 gauge shot shells into the back yard from 10-15yds from the deck then shooting at them. I don't know if its the aim small miss small syndrome or what but I am feeling more confident all the time. These are the results of three consecutive shots tonight. I actually hit the second one and flipped it to where it is shown.

View attachment 66908View attachment 66909View attachment 66910
That will hunt.

“So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men.“

Maurice Thompson
The Witchery of Archery

Many archers start trad. As they grow many will trade their stick and string for the efficiency of a compound, few return. For those few that do, along with those that never left know the truth. There is something truly beautiful about the simplicity of a stick and string. While I have nothing against a compound nor against any who use one, the magic isn’t there. Nocking an arrow, the feel of the string on your fingers, the strain of holding back all the weight, the string ripping from your fingers, the arrow bending around the shelf, the arc of the arrow, the impact, and the smile that follows.

“Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow”
Fred Bear

I feel that the above quotes are so true. With each arrow my stress fades. Horrors of life temporarily forgotten. To me trad archery is sanity.
I'm in my stand reading this with my long bow on my lap. thinking how awesome the traditional bows are. And can't believe I was gonna sell all my trad gear on here. Even with my neck and back giving me fits its hard to give up on it!! So I'm taking my add down Now!!

Thinking about this at work today. Can. I shoot aluminum off the shelf? I nocked off my little flipper tab.
Thinking about ordering some feathers to put on those 2117. Few other questions.
Do you use a pipe cutter on aluminum arrows?
Do I need to do left hand helico. I have Right bevel broad heads.
Should I use the lightest inserts? Add weight if needed?

Thinking about this at work today. Can. I shoot aluminum off the shelf? I nocked off my little flipper tab.
Thinking about ordering some feathers to put on those 2117. Few other questions.
Do you use a pipe cutter on aluminum arrows?
Do I need to do left hand helico. I have Right bevel broad heads.
Should I use the lightest inserts? Add weight if needed?
On the first question. I only shot aluminum arrows and always off the shelf.
I have used pipe cutters in a pinch. But I prefer a arrow cot off saw.

No problem using pipe cutter but get a wooden dowel to use as reinforcement as you cut and use the standard inserts add weight if needed or cut 1/4” as needed and while you can use opposite fletching for your bevels it’s better to use same bevel so right bevel equals rw fletching you want it to spin correctly out of the gate rather than parachute which means it starts to spin left if your using LW feathers then almost in slow motion it catches the RW bevel and spins opposite specially when wind hits it and most definitely can shoot off shelf or rest
Tin cans are great!

Last edited:
No problem using pipe cutter but get a wooden dowel to use as reinforcement as you cut and use the standard inserts add weight if needed or cut 1/4” as needed and while you can use opposite fletching for your bevels it’s better to use same bevel so right bevel equals rw fletching you want it to spin correctly out of the gate rather than parachute which means it starts to spin left then almost in slow motion it catches the bevel and spins opposite specially when wind hits it and most definitely can shoot off shelf or rest
Tin cans are great!
I had in my mind it needed to spin left off the shelf of a bow. So that was my imagination.

Back