• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Garden thread.

MattMan81

SH Member
Show what you got going! Even if it's a tomato plant in a basket. Need some veggies with that pile of meat.

I'm getting the fence up to keep the dog and deer out. Last time I had a nylon fence I just temp put up. But the dog learned he can push thru to get it. He didn't do much, but made a hole for the deer.

Someone was helping..Screenshot_20220520-194753~2.png

We moved in September 2020 and last year I was putting up my shop so this year will be our first garden at the new place. Here is the before shot. Got a lot of work to do but I enjoy it as much as hunting.....sometimes.

Screenshot_20220521-065438_Gallery.jpg

We had a busy week getting most of it in.

Screenshot_20220521-235314_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
We just have two 8x4 raised beds that my wife plants tomatoes, cucumbers, and kohlrabi in. I don’t get into it much. Though, I did put in an asparagus patch last weekend.

I am very into the trees though! I have been trying to get an orchard going the last two years. I have 2 zestar, 2 wolf river, 2 enterprise, 4 honey crisp, and three keifer pear trees. I also went crazy with the nut trees. Somewhere around 60 hazel and chestnut trees got planted around the property 2 years ago.

Now I just need time and some luck to gather the fruits (and nuts) of my labor.

A2980879-BB72-4BBE-AE73-59A65FFD0077.png

I built some elevated planters for the wife during covid and she’s been using them since. She normally has jalapeños, tomato’s, squash, zucs, strawberry’s and blueberry, garlic and onions going but the birds and squirrels have been tearing them up this year for some reason.
81ED2CDA-146B-478F-9EF5-2577A9454164.png

Screenshot_20220628-141443_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220628-141437_Gallery.jpg

Figs and oranges are making. Got a lemon tree that is also making for the first time since we moved here. We'll see how it all ends up.

Screenshot_20220628-141434_Gallery.jpg

This was a chicken run. 20x20. May clean it up and do a few raised beds in it next year. Not sure if it would get enough light though. Also would like to get an herb garden going. Been looking into compost methods. Next year projects...

View attachment 67022View attachment 67023

Figs and oranges are making. Got a lemon tree that is also making for the first time since we moved here. We'll see how it all ends up.

View attachment 67024

This was a chicken run. 20x20. May clean it up and do a few raised beds in it next year. Not sure if it would get enough light though. Also would like to get an herb garden going. Been looking into compost methods. Next year projects...
Man I wish I had access to some fig trees. Love me some figs.

View attachment 67022View attachment 67023

View attachment 67024

Did the chickens get caught swimmin in the deep fryer?

Did the chickens get caught swimmin in the deep fryer?
Swamp flooded. I spent the summer shooting/trapping about 30 raccoons. Lost a couple to them. Then a fox got in and killed 8 in one night.

We did make one ornery rooster into dumplings. Made me realize how grocery chicken doesn't even taste like chicken anymore

This is a 3 man operation.......640 sweet potatoes, tomatoes, squash, zucc, beets, (2) 250' rows of strawberries, (1) 250' row of aspsragas, 140 pumpkins (adding more), duck blind grass, surrounded by sunflowers. Putting in half the time as last year but everything looks twice as good. We'll make decent $ from the sweet potatoes and pumpkins but the duck blind grass pays our lease fee.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220629-103045~2.png
    Screenshot_20220629-103045~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220629-103926~2.png
    Screenshot_20220629-103926~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
I will say that if you live in a waterfowling area and have the space, switch grass is a huge $ maker. $8-$10 an arm size bundle. Takes two years before it's tall enough to use, but after that it's just fertilizer and lime.

Smaller than last time, for now... evil laugh. Probably planting this weekend or next. Asparagus is up but not producing too much, I need to give it some more attention.

Back