• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heavy arrow lessons learned

What’s your thoughts on a 505 grain 260 fps arrow for longer 30-40 yard shots vs a heavier 580 grain arrow running around 240fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that is a good balanced system, especially if you anticipate shooting longer average yardages overall for Elk, Muley, Pronghorn, Coues Deer, Sheep or Goats.

This is a great thread. Bump. I’m running 25.25” arrow. 28” dL 62.5lbs. Arrow speed about 240. 585 grain arrow (320 up front). Ethics inserts and outsert. FOC well over 20. Should be a whitetail nightmare. Planning on 4 blade iron will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running a 4 blade with that short of an arrow and that long if a draw?

I know it's unlikely but that to me is just an unnecessary risk. All it would take is one freak thing for some fingers to be gone. Again unlikely but still.

I am exactly at 550g and they seem perfect to me so far whatever that counts for.
250 spine Sirius Apollos
100g Ethics insert
200g Vantage Point Archery single bevel heads (secret, their machines make Tuff Heads also, shhhhh)

30in DL at 65# and an EZV. Nock tuned and paper tuned and all the same process and they are piss missiles. My local shop has a nice outdoor 60 yard range and the haters were out there watching (mainly to see how the site works) and when they heard the arrow hit their attitudes changed rapidly. Anyways, 550 seems to be the happy number from what I have read and watched.

I am exactly at 550g and they seem perfect to me so far whatever that counts for.
250 spine Sirius Apollos
100g Ethics insert
200g Vantage Point Archery single bevel heads (secret, their machines make Tuff Heads also, shhhhh)

30in DL at 65# and an EZV. Nock tuned and paper tuned and all the same process and they are piss missiles. My local shop has a nice outdoor 60 yard range and the haters were out there watching (mainly to see how the site works) and when they heard the arrow hit their attitudes changed rapidly. Anyways, 550 seems to be the happy number from what I have read and watched.
Are the appollos low gpi? I shoot a very similar setup with 50 gr less up front and am around 560 grains total.

Are the appollos low gpi? I shoot a very similar setup with 50 gr less up front and am around 560 grains total.
Here is all the information on them sir.

I was VERY surprised at the results after testing.

350 Spine Carbon Express Hunter 27.25 in
62# draw weight
27.5 in draw length
250 grains up front
535-ish grains total

Approximately 23% FOC and I'm shooting DARTS.

I think 2 things played into this setup working for me, shorter arrows made the 350 spine stronger than normal, and the arrows themselves are "dual spine" and weight forward.

I was surprised as anyone but shot after shot was just a laser beam. Pic below is bareshaft turning at 6ish yards to confirm after finding the right tip. I also shot two shots at 18 yards that were also darts. The drop off after 35 yards is significant, but almost everywhere I hunt with a bow 30 is max anyways. I might tinker a little bit more, but this thinvg hits like a tank so I don't want to change much.
7de6a85f94f58cecee36644d9ac24777.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:
250 spine Sirius Apollos
100g Ethics insert

How have the 200g Vantage Point Archery single bevel heads worked for you @Zero One Actual

How have the 200g Vantage Point Archery single bevel heads worked for you @Zero One Actual
I just posted this pic in another thread a few days ago. This was 2021 with a 200g VPA. It was at 45yds and dropped the bear which was recovered around 50 yards away.

Question. How do I attach a video on this thread or forum? I have a video of the blood trail. Or PM me and I can text to you also.

Attachments

• 200FD756-EE4A-4537-BBB2-D86CE27CB514.jpeg
    200FD756-EE4A-4537-BBB2-D86CE27CB514.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back