• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman and kong damages ropes in 20” drop

He should've done the same test but with a friction hitch.

Which opens up this can of worms: in the case of a fall, which friction hitch is best?

It seems as a group that we are overly concerned with hitches breaking free easily one handed after being weighted and that very few other things are considered.

He should've done the same test but with a friction hitch.

Which opens up this can of worms: in the case of a fall, which friction hitch is best?

It seems as a group that we are overly concerned with hitches breaking free easily one handed after being weighted and that very few other things are considered.
I don’t know. I think that it would be based on main rope vs cordage diameter, the type of rope plays factors as well. I know in static pulls supposedly the VT had the highest holding power across the broadest range of rope sizes but that doesn’t always translate to dynamic loading. We tested ours using the lowly ol prusik. And the only drop where it slipped a great deal was one where the guy didn’t weigh the prusik before the drop so it wasn’t tight before the fall. It slipped nearly 21” before it cinched (it still never made it to the stopper knot and it still held the 300 lbs dummy in the air for a few minutes after the drop). The hitch was pretty crispy after that

Yeah I’d like to see friction hitch falls from 20”

It would benefit all of us and especially those who choose to one stick.

One thing I saw was someone connecting oplux with a trc hitch to their side by side and then they took off and hit the end of the rope. Slid a bit but nothing else happened. It was posted here and on youtube.

One thing I saw was someone connecting oplux with a trc hitch to their side by side and then they took off and hit the end of the rope. Slid a bit but nothing else happened. It was posted here and on youtube.

Interesting! I must have missed that.

The guy that posted that is some form of executive at XOP. Guys spent the entire post trying to tell him that’s wrong, that wouldn’t happen with a kong (even though kong is in one of the pics) someone said a knot below the ascender would save you. I get the argument that we are always under tension therefore it would never happen, I can relate to that some but not for the reasons those Facebook guys were giving him….. If it’s true and we are always tensioned on the platform with the saddle holding our weight, we would never need a ropeman to begin with since our position would be a fixed one…. because you stand up to let out length and that introduces slack. I just found it funny that we were all discussing this on another post last week and this guy beat me to drop test videos of it. So I wanted to share it with y’all

The guy that posted that is some form of executive at XOP. Guys spent the entire post trying to tell him that’s wrong, that wouldn’t happen with a kong (even though kong is in one of the pics) someone said a knot below the ascender would save you. I get the argument that we are always under tension therefore it would never happen, I can relate to that some but not for the reasons those Facebook guys were giving him….. If it’s true and we are always tensioned on the platform with the saddle holding our weight, we would never need a ropeman to begin with since our position would be a fixed one…. because you stand up to let out length and that introduces slack. I just found it funny that we were all discussing this on another post last week and this guy beat me to drop test videos of it. So I wanted to share it with y’all

A lot of people will argue anything because the thought of being wrong and having to admit that damages their sense of self too much.

We should strive to delight in being proven wrong because you've had your life improved by abandoning a false belief and taking on a more accurate one.

Mark Twain said something to the effect of: it's easier to fool a man than convince him that he's been fooled.

This has been known since the earliest days of SH.com and so often gets hashed and rehashed but its curious the result never changes.

That said yes I still use an ascender the much maligned ropeman 2. Would I sell them for an intended use of elevated hunting withouth liability insurance to the teeth? Hellz no. To me it is worth noting although that rope is toast the inner core is still intact. You'd need to change your undies but you're probably still going to be hanging there.

How not 2 on YouTube has some great static tests and should be making more fall tests since they completed they’re drop structure. There are a lot of arborist guys requesting arborist related drop tests, hopefully they start doing some.

So it looks like it shredded the rope, but it didn’t break, therefore it worked??? Am I missing something? Wouldn’t one replace the rope anyway after a fall, even of 20”?
Without knowing the actual size or break strength of the ropes, I can’t say it worked. 20” is not a far fall. I’ve experienced similar distance from a stick cut out on my lineman’s rope. If it were say, a thinner rope possibly out of spec (8mm oplux anyone) there is potential it could have severed the entire rope. However if this did catch you as is, what would your recovery look like? With a friction hitch, the rope is still in tact, and the hitch is still functional if you can get your feet posted on the tree and weight off the rope… I don’t see any potential for recovery on those ropes with ascenders. This is why a hitch or knot above the ascender as a secondary tie off should be utilized.

Last edited:
Without knowing the actual size or break strength of the ropes, I can’t say it worked. 20” is not a far fall. I’ve experienced similar distance from a stick cut out on my lineman’s rope. If it were say, a thinner rope possibly out of spec (8mm oplux anyone) there is potential it could have severed the entire rope. However if this did catch you as is, what would your recovery look like? With a friction hitch, the rope is still in tact, and the hitch is still functional if you can get your feet posted and weight off the tree… I don’t see any potential for recovery on those ropes with ascenders. This is why a hitch or knot about the ascender as a secondary tie off should be utilized.
At 20” I’m assuming I could still get my rear back on the platform… unless that failed and is why I fell in the first place. Me personally I’m going to bear hug that tree, cut the rope, and shimmy right on down. You mortals, well you’d be f****d

Last edited:
The fall was 20” , however once the sheath cuts, you go down the additional length of the tether. I don’t think shimmy onto the platform would work too easy for my fat a$$ lol so yea I’m one of those mere mortals that are f***ed
At 20” I’m assuming I could still get my rear back on the platform… unless that failed and is why I fell in the first place. Me personally I’m going to bear hung that tree, cut the rope, and shimmy right on down. You mortals, well you’d be f****d

Last edited:
So if that did happen and it was ur only way down would the sheath being able to slide up and down the rope let u rappel down?
Perhaps that is worth investigating.. try it out with your old muddy line and report back to us please lol

The CGM Cobra test showed that the swabich (sp?) hitch didn't hold and resulted in the highest forces when it slide down to the stopper knot.

Back