• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Friction Hitches

48” is the bare minimum, the longer the cord the easier to tie the final knot, and you don’t have to be as careful keeping the ends even.

Brocky how are you finishing this hitch? Tying in a loop, with a hunters bend or double fishermans?

I do like the JRBAH but just can't get used to it living on the rope, just don't like that part at all.
I always learn from somebody else's opinion. Can ya explain what bothers you about a friction hitch staying on the rope? As far as I know, every Hunter Safety System has a Prussik on the rope which stays on the rope. I climbed on a split tail MRS system for a dozen years and the friction hitch would always be on the rope in advance. It was a huge advantage. By the time the Blakes Hitch climber was done tying his Blakes, I was up in the tree. (I can get to 25 ft in 3 minutes with MRS). Why would anybody prefer to tie a friction hitch in the woods when they don't need to? Why would anybody want to have anything important (hitch cord) which could be dropped or lost?

For example, the Oval VT in the OP... that looks like we have to set that fairly precisely. I would want that on my rope already and not need to tie it in the woods. Consider when its zero degrees and we are wearing gloves, etc. I just don't see any reason why a climber would be bothered by it being on the rope.

JRB, I hope my post didn't come off as offensive or negative, I think it's a fantastic hitch. Thank you for giving it to us!

I one/no stick or SRT on my rappel rope and JRBAH works beautifully on ascent and at height. It's managing the hitch on my rope when I'm not climbing or hanging.

I don't care for dragging the hitch all the way back to the delta link after I rappel to climb again. I don't like trying to run my descender, manage the tag end and drag a hitch back all at the same time either. If you just leave the hitch behind, retrieval is a problem, ask me how I know.

Seems easier to just tie and untie to me. I didn't and don't mean to be critical.

Anyone out there use this as there mobile method on public land? Im talking no illegal p chord presets? Cant imagine tossing rope up to a limb that you hope has holding wood in the dark. Half way to being a certified arborist at this point as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone out there use this as there mobile method on public land? Im talking no illegal p chord presets? Cant imagine tossing rope up to a limb that you hope has holding wood in the dark. Half way to being a certified arborist at this point as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I took about 85’ of 8mm half rope last season on every hunt. It was a few extra pounds but I used it in the afternoons when I would scout and set up, or when I was hunting big trees. I also used it as my rappel rope. I don’t use all the redundancy that John does, my system is more basic and streamlined. The same can be accomplished with a single 40-50’ line of what most guys carry to rappel with to SRT up with a friction hitch and a Garda foot loop. If you’re interested in JRB climbing though there are like 7 threads John has started to share his stuff. Maybe we can save this thread while we still can to talk about friction hitches.

I'm starting like the Stitch hitch more than a Swabisch...

It sure tends nice after being weighted

*edit* 4,5 or 6 times while 2TCing tonight after sliding the Stitch hitch up my tether it didn't bite down without having to 'double clutch' it...
Luckily I was still able to hold my weight by the tag end or I would've either ended up upside-down connected to my foot tether or Id'a been at the stopper knot... o_O

Might be 'cause I tied that today with brand new cord and it's still pretty stiff? (stiff mainline too)

Last edited:
I was thinking I mighta had it all a little too tight?
Like a lil' slack may help it grab quicker?

I'll play around with it some more soon...

I was thinking I mighta had it all a little too tight?
Like a lil' slack may help it grab quicker?

I'll play around with it some more soon...

“The farther apart, the easier it slides, but if too far apart it will start to not grab reliably.” -Brocky

Here is a way to tie the metal free Sticht
125B99C3-FD31-48E5-93E7-C6DD058FED9C.jpeg
From left to right, start with a 5 wrap Distel, form a circle and tie an overhand. Then take the ends behind the rope and make a twist, next bring the ends up and through the circle.
Can then tie to carabiner in front, or as shown in back for better tending.

@Brocky am I tying this wrong? Or is this a risk when using this finishing knot as a tender with small rope and say a big carabiner?

Last edited:
You’re taking the legs over the top of the carabiner then back through, I take them through the carabiner first then over the top and back behind the rope. Can’t pull through and gets the stopper closer to the hitch.

You’re taking the legs over the top of the carabiner then back through, I take them through the carabiner first then over the top and back behind the rope. Can’t pull through and gets the stopper closer to the hitch.
Ahh, like this?
CD45E0F4-93A5-4DC7-A075-0EAB82B07718.jpeg

Back