• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Worst thing you’ve forgot to take into the field?

HuskerInIowa

SH Member
I’m getting everything ready for tomorrow and went down to the basement to grab something, happened to see my release sitting there. If I hadn’t decided to toss a rain jacket into the pack and walked back down there’s no way I would have been in the saddle with it tomorrow. Blind luck.

Figure there are either some funny stories or good advice out there.

I’ll most definitely forget things which is why I do things in tiers.

Tier 1 is my saddle. On it is everything I need to climb, descend and hunt.

Tier 2 is my pack. This is everything that makes climbing, descending or hunting easier.

Tier 3 are the trunk that I live out of. They offer the convenience of cooking and butchering support but aren’t required to climb, descend or hunt.

In this fashion, if I forget my bow, I can’t hunt. If I remember my bow and saddle, I can do everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's a thermocell? :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

I can't count the number of times I've gone to hang a camera and taken a climbing stick but walked away from the truck without putting my saddle on. The last weekend the wife and I went camping my plan was to sit observation sits all weekend . . . guess what, I forgot my saddle. :mad:

What's a thermocell? :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

I can't count the number of times I've gone to hang a camera and taken a climbing stick but walked away from the truck without putting my saddle on. The last weekend the wife and I went camping my plan was to sit observation sits all weekend . . . guess what, I forgot my saddle. :mad:

Can I have a say who I don’t wan’t on my team. :)

On one of my out state hunts last year, one morning I had decided to go to one parcel and my buddy was going to another (we rode up there together and had one truck) about 20 minutes away. There were a couple guys in the ditch where I had planned to start walking from so I talked to them as I was getting my stand and stuff out of the truck. I had my stand on my back and told my buddy I’d talk to him later. Took off walking with the guys I had just met and made it about 150 yards and realized I left my recurve in the truck. Luckily my buddy hadn’t made it far.

I was laughing at myself the whole way back to my spot.

One day I hunted the morning, went to the truck and drove to another spot for an evening sit. Ate lunch before heading out. I got probably 100 yards from the truck, bumped a spike and that is when I realized I left my bow in the truck. lol

First year I started shaving my head I forgot a beanie on a cold November evening. You don’t realize how much hair keeps your head warm!!

…but if you shave your head, you never see the grey hair….

Left my insulated boots three hours away and hunted in a pair of uninsulated rubber boots I happened to have in the back of my truck. Wouldn’t have been too bad except for the like 20 degree temp drop overnight and it was around freezing that morning. I think I lasted 2-3 hours before I was froze.

Back