• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Madrock safeguard safety?

wihunter50

New to rappelling this year. Had two recent practice sessions where the rope didn’t seem to release slowly, but instead suddenly let go for a rather quick descent. It was as if the rope was “stuck” then let loose as I opened the device further. Even after releasing the lever it did not stop my descent. Anyone else have this issue? I have done probably 20+ descents so doesn’t happen often, but one time is too many IMO. Using 9 mm Canyon rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not using a hollowblock while you rappel I'd suggest using one with the Madrock. The Madrock is the jerkiest rappelling option for me; I'd much rather use a GriGri+ or a Figure8 if all I was doing is rappelling because they're much smoother. But the hollowblock helps smooth out the Madrock and acts as a brake if your device fails or you let go of the rope.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Common problem for new users.

With your off hand, grab the rope and drive it into your hip. With the other hand, use the release handle. Between the two hards, you control your descent.

Many people forget the off hand and assume just using the release lever is good enough. If anything, your off hand is more important than your release hand.

@GravityTension I agree completely. Have messed around with using/not using hollow block. Will be using here on out. @MNFarmHunter I was thinking it probably had something to do with my off hand. I definitely have not been focused on that as much as device hand. Thanks.

@GravityTension I agree completely. Have messed around with using/not using hollow block. Will be using here on out. @MNFarmHunter I was thinking it probably had something to do with my off hand. I definitely have not been focused on that as much as device hand. Thanks.

The biggest thing to remember is the madrock or grigri is nothing more than a figure 8 with a safety catch. You'd never rappel with an 8 without driving your rope into your hip with your offhand and the same goes with the belay devices.

@MNFarmHunter is absolutely correct. The Madrock can be a bit jerky to get started compared to a GriGri but is can be overcome with practice. IMO the off hand grip is WAY more important for controlling the descent rate than the lever pull. Never pull that lever without a firm grip of the rope with the off hand.

I’m going to make sure I’m doing something right. I put my hollow block on my tail side not above the madrock. It gives me that added feel. I can also hold it and if I slip. I turn loose of the handle and tail. In my mind and far it’s not been a hindrance

Go to 1:36 of this video:

Forget the fact that they're using a figure 8, a madrock and a grigri is the same thing. Ignore the video comment about the autoblock, the madrock or grigri essentially have that built-in. Instead, watch the hands and control. The hand at the hip is doing most of the work. The upper hand controlling the release lever is just a brake hand.

IMO, the best part of using a hollowblock isn't the safety feature (since these are built in), it's that it makes controlling the descent smoother. Once you get moving the force of dynamic friction is a lot less, and it allows for a pretty normal descent.

I don't really use a hollowblock much anymore, but it was very useful when starting off with the madrock.

The best practice I have found for using the Safeguard for rappel is this.
Tether yourself to a tree with your feet on the ground. Lean back into the saddle and position your feet against the base of the tree. Tend the tag end out of the Safeguard with your right hand. Pulling the lever you should pivot about your feet pressed to the tree. You can control your descent into a straight legged sitting position with a combination of lever pressure and tag end grip. When you're comfortable enough to manage to always stop with your butt a couple of inches from the ground you've got the hang of it.

Common problem for new users.

With your off hand, grab the rope and drive it into your hip. With the other hand, use the release handle. Between the two hards, you control your descent.

Many people forget the off hand and assume just using the release lever is good enough. If anything, your off hand is more important than your release hand.

This... all Madrock reps would say the same thing.

Go to 1:36 of this video:

Forget the fact that they're using a figure 8, a madrock and a grigri is the same thing. Ignore the video comment about the autoblock, the madrock or grigri essentially have that built-in. Instead, watch the hands and control. The hand at the hip is doing most of the work. The upper hand controlling the release lever is just a brake hand.
Are autoblock, hollowblock, and the prusik mentioned in the video all the same thing? Noob here. Sorry if its a dumb question.

Are autoblock, hollowblock, and the prusik mentioned in the video all the same thing? Noob here. Sorry if its a dumb question.
A hollowblock is a specific loop of rope that is used as an autoblock, but it's a hollow length of woven rope. Because it's hollow it deforms a bit when used in a friction hitch, which increases surface area and therefore friction. You can tie a variety of knots for this purpose, I tend to use a Klemheist.

Check out this link https://www.vdiffclimbing.com/prusik-types/

The GriGri will passively let out line if slack is introduced. So if you unload it (stand up on your platform or introduce slack while one-sticking) it can let rope through, which if you quickly sit down will give you a scare. It SHOULD catch you if you're using in spec rope, but even a short fall on a static rope can be dangerous.

For one-sticking, the Madrock won't passively let out any rope, so it's easier to manage. You can ascend and descend on the same mechanism, which is probably safer.

New to rappelling this year. Had two recent practice sessions where the rope didn’t seem to release slowly, but instead suddenly let go for a rather quick descent. It was as if the rope was “stuck” then let loose as I opened the device further. Even after releasing the lever it did not stop my descent. Anyone else have this issue? I have done probably 20+ descents so doesn’t happen often, but one time is too many IMO. Using 9 mm Canyon rope.

Not being used correctly

Back