• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who’s running 1/8 in amsteel tether?

I have several friends who use amsteel tethers. And have been for over a decade, maybe two. Fisherman with significant exposure to amsteel on boats and rigging there.

All are treestand hunters(many also now use a hybrid with ropes john provides.)

They all use heavy duty stuff(not sure of size, but bigger than the 3/16” stuff I have on hand for comparison).

They girth hitch with a daisy on the end for getting proper length to attach to safety harness.

I have pointed out to them there are ropes that have good protective sheaths that work just fine.

They continue to use them.

I have several friends who use amsteel tethers. And have been for over a decade, maybe two. Fisherman with significant exposure to amsteel on boats and rigging there.

All are treestand hunters(many also now use a hybrid with ropes john provides.)

They all use heavy duty stuff(not sure of size, but bigger than the 3/16” stuff I have on hand for comparison).

They girth hitch with a daisy on the end for getting proper length to attach to safety harness.

I have pointed out to them there are ropes that have good protective sheaths that work just fine.

They continue to use them.
Do they do a full bury on the tethers, that would double the strength and increase the diameter.

Even if the strength and durability are substantial and safe, I still prefer a rope with a wider diameter for feel and workability.

On such tiny ropes, wouldn’t different friction hitches be required? Do tiny ropes and tiny knots mean less friction than their larger siblings?

I'm just curious about why this is such a bad idea though? I mean many of us have saddle systems with straight Amsteel bridges? Arguably, the most important point of attachment? I don't claim to be an expert in any of the rope or amsteel stuff and am not trying to be a contrarian but I'm honestly curious about why this is thought any more unsafe than an amsteel bridge? Are you concerned with the diminutive diameter of it? So a 3/16" Amsteel tether would be acceptable? I do understand bends in amsteel cause weakness but I know from personal experience, the Amsteel plow rope on my ATV snow plow takes a heck of a beating every winter and when I'm getting stuck hauling a load of wood out and it takes a lot of harsh abuse.

This is why I think we need to have a Saddle Manufacturer's Association (SMA) safety certification association that independently rates saddles and saddle systems from the tether to the leg loops. Similar to the TMA, which I know many current saddlemakers are subjecting their great saddles to. I just think it needs to drill down further so a Best Saddle Materials and Practices can be developed for everyone getting into it. I'm sure this has been discussed before so my apologies to all who have thought about these things before.

This is why I think we need to have a Saddle Manufacturer's Association (SMA) safety certification association that independently rates saddles and saddle systems from the tether to the leg loops. Similar to the TMA, which I know many current saddlemakers are subjecting their great saddles to. I just think it needs to drill down further so a Best Saddle Materials and Practices can be developed for everyone getting into it. I'm sure this has been discussed before so my apologies to all who have thought about these things before.

Curious if anything amsteel would be approved or qualify under that system for climbing/life support considering the manufacturer does not recommend that application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious if anything amsteel would be approved or qualify under that system for climbing/life support considering the manufacturer does not recommend that application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I don't get, are several of us using Amsteel for our saddle bridges????

Back