• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from good old Germany

Westfale

Hi all,
I wanna jump into saddle hunting this season, cause I think it gives me new opportunitys in addition to traditional ladders or my climber, a summit titan.
We lost a lot of spurce trees here due to the last three dry years here, so it's hard to find suitable for climbing tree stands.
My problem:
Saddle hunting is completely unknown here, I never met someone who does. Nothing to look at on fairs, no equipment to buy on this side of the pond.
Orders from US will take their time and the stuff gets even more expensive than it is in the US due to taxes, freight and custom fees.

So please don't be annoyed by my silly questions.

Dunka,

Consider the expertise of your rock climbing brethren as this is some of the knowledge base which is currently being used.

There's no mountains in Louisiana, but plenty of trees.

Be safe, Slava UKR, Au Revoir

Here’s a link to the saddlehunter map:
Like @Weldabeast said there’s some folks in your parts, at least one more in Germany as well. Granted that’s quite a distance but still.

I hunted in Germany recently while there for work!

Well, I drove around had plastic beers and looked for deer and pigs with no luck.

I was near gummersbach.

Where are you in Germany?!

Welcome,and feel free to send me any questions. I grew up in Germany and German is my native language. I have been in the states for over 20 years now and saddle hunting for 3.

Thanks to all for your welcome.
@ Kyler: Was hunting with a friend there this weekend. My hunting area is located near Warendorf, 150 miles north of Gummersbach.

Welcome aboard!

I've never been to Germany but from what I see you have a very highly-developed alpine and mountain climbing culture, which will make finding ropes and other climbing equipment easier. Adding a fleece saddle to a rock climbing harness (RCH) is an economical first step.

If possible I'd avoid spruce trees as the sap is all but impossible to clean from ropes and other gear. A few feet of tubular webbing on your tether where it wraps around the tree will help protect your rope from sap damage.

Welcome to the craze from Wentzville Missouri! Interested in hearing how your hunting is similar and different.

I ate some delicious red deer from the Black Forest in Giessen a few years back. Cheers!

I have some experience with Spruce and Pinewood trees, cause we use them for climbers.
For sadddle hunts, i have oak and beek trees in mind, cause they are the only large trees, that are left in some areas.
And yes, german Beer is delicious, as belgian beer and bohemian Pils! I also like some Bourbon Whiskey as well.
I was surprised to get in contact to a complete unknown way of hunting and again surprised by the creativity in modfying and developing gear and methods for this kind of hunting.

Welcome from WNY! My grandfather and his brother came over here in 1919 when they were in thier late teens or thereabouts. They were born and raised in Ploesen Germany (Pronounced “Plazen” here phonetically). M grandfather spent a lot of time in Bellarut I think it’s called just south of Ploesen.

Back