• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge stepp lovers

Maybe revisiting this spurs an idea on the bag
I'm gonna re-read that thread.

Maybe revisiting this spurs an idea on the bag
Are you still using that?

I just can’t quite quit the Stepps. I’ve used muddy pro with the cam cleat ( they are a very close second place), lone wolf, Shikar, beast, cranford rope steps. Nothing has quite the flexibility as Stepps.

In the saddle dark ages (prior to the inception of this forum), all I had was the trophyline original saddle, and a bunch of original Stepps. I either ascended with the Stepps or lone wolf sticks, and always used 3 Stepps as a platform.

I even reached out to Jim Stepp and bought about 30 of them off him (all new, not sold before he ended operations).

Yes, the ropes need to be pre-stretched, yes it is attaching more times than sticks, but good golly miss Molly, they are solid, and one can customize exactly where they put them on the tree.

I have a knaider, and the wild edge aider, and sometimes use, but I try to forgo their use.

And all this talk about other knots, other ropes, other attachment points and boogie woogie aider climbing and other DIY on the Stepps and I just shake my head.

Stepps, as a climbing method is dead, long live the WildEdge Stepps.

I found some wild edge steps in the woods and they were just loosely tied with over hand knots… whoever was using them was not even camming them over. It appeared they just let them slide down the tree until they were tight. Talk about sketchy.
They prob left them on the tree thinking “these things are terrible”

I used 4 primals back when the plywood platform was getting popular. I never got comfortable with the knot and sold them. I ended up running hawk sticks with a CAYG aider and it worked. 1 sticked the last two years. This year I got more primals and swapped them to amsteel. Just got a genesis 3D gripr and have a knaider coming in the mail today. Can’t wait to try them again. Compactness is hard to beat like you said. If I enjoy them I plan to add a WE perch.
Curious if the grippr works for you, I called and talked to someone over there at genesis and they said they didn't believe the grippr would work on primals because of the position of the crosspost

Curious if the grippr works for you, I called and talked to someone over there at genesis and they said they didn't believe the grippr would work on primals because of the position of the crosspost
It does work but you need to put the gripr button/webbing slot inside the steps instead of on the outside…..

Are you still using that?

I don’t really use the stepps much anymore. But I do use the bag when I do.

You’re right about them. They are a great compromise on almost all fronts.

The key for me is it being quiet and the hole in the bottom for the ropes. Someone could probably make the webbing structure of the bag only wrapped in fleece. It would be stretchier too. Which seems like a plus in the tight fit

The key for me is it being quiet and the hole in the bottom for the ropes. Someone could probably make the webbing structure of the bag only wrapped in fleece. It would be stretchier too. Which seems like a plus in the tight fit
When I picked up a set of steps before, they had a we bag but fleece lined in and out, it was awesome

I made a bag out of mesh but it came out really bad so it got scrapped. Fleece is a good idea.

All I’ve done is attached it, took the picture, and put it away. I’m waiting for my knaider to try the whole set up at once.

View attachment 72458

It was my step sister!
True story.

In all seriousness, I'd be 100% down with stepps if they didn't gouge the almighty crap out of every tree I put them on. I doubt Wild Edge wants me to send them the ticket when the river pirates debate their claim that they're "public land legal." The way our rules read here, anything that harms a tree is non-kosher, and the aftermath of a stepp climb can look pretty gruesome.

I can run away faster with a pocket full of bolts.

But they definitely pack way better than sticks if your dcnr hasn't signed the hippocratic oath

I bought a couple sets for this season and have been practicing with them. There is definitely a learning curve with them, but I think they have several good things going:

1. Packability compared to sticks
2. Rock solid once cammed properly
3. Last but not least, no horizontal pointy steps to impale oneself on if a fall happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back