• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gen 3 One Sticks....

WHAT MAKES THESE ‘GEN 3’?
Glad you asked!

1.) These are not included with our previous recall.

2.) All GEN 3 ONE Sticks come with green anodized steps and tan heat shrink on the titanium tubing.

Interesting

Give it a month and these will get recalled as well lol.
Can someone fill me in why Gen 2 was recalled?

And more importantly, was the issue causing the loose steps (glue?) corrected?

Tethrd's credibility is in the red for me but I did get a chance to handle these sticks and I still want a set once they are out of the consumer prototype phase.
The recall on the website states the steps could crack and break. I personally wouldn't buy any climbing stick from them. They have a terrible track record with them.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Tethrd's credibility is in the red for me but I did get a chance to handle these sticks and I still want a set once they are out of the consumer prototype phase.

@elk yinzer - here's the link to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission's website on the recall of the Tethrd One Stick Gen 2 Climbing Sticks.

It defines the hazard that prompted the recall: "Under pressure, one or more of the climbing stick’s steps can crack causing them to break, posing fall and injury hazards to users."

I was super tempted to buy these today....but just can't spend that kind of money with them not being redesigned.

I'm guessing they just figured out what went wrong with the aluminum step breaking and fixed that.....but roll pin wiggle is still there (edit: i'm just guessing roll pin wiggle still there....if nothing has changed to prevent it).

Last edited:
What was the difference from gen 2 to gen 1 that the gen 1’s were recalled? I’m probably gonna pass but man I just wish they could get these things figured out. 1 pound stick would be awesome

the step/standoff on one broke in half with someone on them and they called them all in for testing, but you could get your money back i think

testing was putting 300 lbs on each side of the stick....which seemed potentially harmful to the sticks

the adhesive issue was addressed in generation 2 by a plug in the ends of the tubes that supposedly expanded them , i believe the glue was ditched, roll pin still there

still don't know why they didn't put 2 grade 8 bolts at intersecting angles through each standoff to make it even stronger and stop the wiggles

Last edited:
the step/standoff on one broke in half with someone on them and they called them all in for testing, not really a recall, but you could get your money back i think

testing was putting 300 lbs on each side of the stick....which seemed potentially harmful to the sticks

the adhesive issue was addressed in generation 2 by a plug in the ends of the tubes that supposedly expanded them , i believe the glue was ditched, roll pin still there

still don't know why they didn't put 2 grade 8 bolts at intersecting angles through each standoff to make it even stronger and stop the wiggles
My guess is grade 8 bolts cost more than roll pins

Back