• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

TEAM 3 - BARK BUSTERS

Ok I lied to y'all. In anticipation of the start of my season (less than 3 days!!!) I have been looking at historical trail cam pictures from the property and remembered I do have a target buck! These pictures are during the season last year but I saw him in late January after the season had closed. I haven't seen any sign of him this year but I'm not surprised. He is definitely an above average deer for my area and I just hope he survived our extremely hot and dry summer. We certainly don't have deer as nice as @Hunter260 that deer would've been dead on my property!!! I'll be hunting Saturday AM & PM and Sunday AM realistically targeting a fat doe.Capture.PNGCapture4.PNG

Ok I lied to y'all. In anticipation of the start of my season (less than 3 days!!!) I have been looking at historical trail cam pictures from the property and remembered I do have a target buck! These pictures are during the season last year but I saw him in late January after the season had closed. I haven't seen any sign of him this year but I'm not surprised. He is definitely an above average deer for my area and I just hope he survived our extremely hot and dry summer. We certainly don't have deer as nice as @Hunter260 that deer would've been dead on my property!!! I'll be hunting Saturday AM & PM and Sunday AM realistically targeting a fat doe.View attachment 72496View attachment 72497
I hope you find him. Nice buck!

Ok I lied to y'all. In anticipation of the start of my season (less than 3 days!!!) I have been looking at historical trail cam pictures from the property and remembered I do have a target buck! These pictures are during the season last year but I saw him in late January after the season had closed. I haven't seen any sign of him this year but I'm not surprised. He is definitely an above average deer for my area and I just hope he survived our extremely hot and dry summer. We certainly don't have deer as nice as @Hunter260 that deer would've been dead on my property!!! I'll be hunting Saturday AM & PM and Sunday AM realistically targeting a fat doe.View attachment 72496View attachment 72497
That’s a stud! I hope you kill him

Had a great morning hunt last saturday, let a doe and fawn pass. Came under my tree, crossed my entry trail, sniffed, stared down, looked at/around be for about 15 minutes at 5 yards, eventually settled down, and basically 360 circled and walked out the way they came. This took about 1 hour. Then i had 3 more individual doe come into my tree, but all just out of range. 4 hour sit total, and went undetected, except that doe sniffing my trail, but she didn’t bust. Sprayed by boots like crazy with dead down wind, maybe it helped just enough…but she knew something was off. Can’t wait to get back to that spot, new this year. Perfect SRT tree with a paracord preset, lots of acorns dropping. Should be able to get out Friday evening. This is just my 3rd year bowhunting, so I’m probably one of the new guys on the squad here. No points this time, but seeing that many deer and not busting any was a win for me.

Saw 10 mature does on my way to work feeding in a dried up portion of a cove in the bend of the river surrounded by oaks. It’s corp land, so technically it’s part of a WMA. Only about 5 or so acres there that’s legal, but I’ve had pretty good luck killing deer in these small overlooked little pieces in the past. May give it a go soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw 10 mature does on my way to work feeding in a dried up portion of a cove in the bend of the river surrounded by oaks. It’s corp land, so technically it’s part of a WMA. Only about 5 or so acres there that’s legal, but I’ve had pretty good luck killing deer in these small overlooked little pieces in the past. May give it a go soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing deer on the way to work - that's about how it goes most of the time.

Well confidence is way down. Can’t get my shot down from a saddle. My release is all funky and I’m all in my head. Not sure how I feel going into this weekend with the stick bow

So what do you guys use for pit during the season? :D I typically just try to find cheap unscented soap and hypoallergenic shampoo and wash my clothes in tide or All free and clear. Then hang my clothes outside to get freshair. The stores seem to be stocking less scent free soaps and deodorant though so I’m wondering what the rest of you all do? Not trying to get personal. I’m not one of those that freak out about scent control but I do like to try to stay as scent free as possible. I do watch the wind and thermals religiously but we also get a lot of squirrerly winds that do not maintain any consistency so I like to maintain some modicum of scent control. Let’s hear what you do or use or any routines? The bar soap that CGM sells is good stuff. Just wondering if you guys know or use something that I haven’t considered before? :tonguewink: I guess I’m not one to pay the extra$$ for the hunting branded stuff too much so I’m asking what alternatives any of you use or recommend?

Well confidence is way down. Can’t get my shot down from a saddle. My release is all funky and I’m all in my head. Not sure how I feel going into this weekend with the stick bow
I’ve learned over the years, especially with archery, that sometimes you just have bad days and nothing works the way you want it to. I wouldn’t lose hope or confidence yet. Take a bit of a mental and physical break from it and then try again. I’m often super surprised at how everything is ok again after a bit of a complete break from something. Trad is routine and repetition I get it and eventually want to go down that road completely. I’ve shot trad in the past too so I know what you mean. But the worst thing to do is lose confidence. Take a mini break, and go back to it in a day or so. And I know season is tomorrow for you like it is for me. I’m not able to get out the first day due to family sports commitments and it has me a little annoyed but honestly I have to have a lot of things to come together for me to get out anyway so I force myself to take things in stride, relax about it and you’ll know. We tend to fixate on things too much sometimes which is negative thinking. I try positive thinking but I’ll be the first to admit I’m not good at it sometimes either. In fact I’m up early again this am because I’m thinking about the things I need to do for bow season still!!!!!

So what do you guys use for pit during the season? :D I typically just try to find cheap unscented soap and hypoallergenic shampoo and wash my clothes in tide or All free and clear. Then hang my clothes outside to get freshair. The stores seem to be stocking less scent free soaps and deodorant though so I’m wondering what the rest of you all do? Not trying to get personal. I’m not one of those that freak out about scent control but I do like to try to stay as scent free as possible. I do watch the wind and thermals religiously but we also get a lot of squirrerly winds that do not maintain any consistency so I like to maintain some modicum of scent control. Let’s hear what you do or use or any routines? The bar soap that CGM sells is good stuff. Just wondering if you guys know or use something that I haven’t considered before? :tonguewink: I guess I’m not one to pay the extra$$ for the hunting branded stuff too much so I’m asking what alternatives any of you use or recommend?

My scent control routine probably sucks. I wash all my clothes at the beginning of the season with scent free detergent. I don't wash them after that. Before morning hunts I will usually shower with scent free shampoo. Before each hunt I will spray myself down with scent eliminator. Many of the deer I have killed were after work, when my only scent control was spraying myself down with scent eliminator.

Honestly I think alot of scent control stuff is gimicky.

Last edited:
I’m not into the gimmicky stuff either but for me Scent away body wash and shampoo is a something associated with deer season being here. My first several deer hunts were at my buddies camp and he was into every commercial anti scent thing you could think of. That’s the body wash they had at his camp and then we would spray down with all those scent sprays before going in the woods. That spray stuff doesn’t do anything but attract mosquitos so I stopped using it, but I bought a jug of this stuff and I like it. For $8 a thing of this stuff will last me about two seasons or more. I don’t think it makes me scent free but it’s a very neutral low odor soap.6095DBC7-93AF-4EC8-8C22-2EA4FE9C2769.png

I don’t care to stress over a scent control regimen so I’m not the one to ask, but I now prefer the campfire smoke method for my hunting clothes. I just wear them or hang them down wind of the smoke until they smell good and smoky.

I can say I didn’t get busted once last year but that may be to playing win and thermals and climbing way up high haha

Deodorant? I've been using the Mitchum 48 hour scent free gel. I can tell you it does last a long time and doesn't gob that white stuff on all over. Just wondering what others use for pit?

Deodorant? I've been using the Mitchum 48 hour scent free gel. I can tell you it does last a long time and doesn't gob that white stuff on all over. Just wondering what others use for pit?
Oh for under arm, arm and hammer scent free. That stuff will not let you sweat for a week lol. It’s hard to put on and hard to wash off though.237D5F0D-1D9B-4639-8803-0B88D4C98AC9.png

I got one for feet and one for under arms. When it gets cold I’ll hit my feet with it, reduced foot sweat which makes my feet cold. I found that if I don’t sweat I can wear normal hiking boots for all of Alabama’s hunting season with a good wool sock and not get too cold.

Back