• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Poll - how long have you hunted/have you killed more deer from ground or in a tree?

How many years have you hunted deer/have you killed more deer from the ground or in a tree?

• 10+ years hunting experience/more than half my kills from a tree

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • 10+ years hunting experience/less than half my kills from a tree

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • 0-9.9 years hunting experience/more than half my kills from a tree

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • 0-9.9 years hunting experience/less than half my kills from a tree

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

kyler1945

SH Member
Following these two polls: please answer there also:

Next question again is fairly simple. Just math on this one:

It's really close, but I think I've killed more deer/hogs from the ground than a tree.

I've definitely killed more hogs from the ground than from a tree. And I've killed something like 80% of my bucks from the ground.

I've hunted more from a tree, so the amount of deer I've killed from the ground is definitely comparatively higher.

This is bow season 48 for me. I've been hunting out of trees since before I knew there was such a thing as a tree stand (1974). In the early years we picked our hunting spots by where there was a climbable tree as opposed to where the best ambush spot might be (I was young and dumb(er) then).

By my best estimate I've killed 80'ish deer. Now a lot of those were with a rifle and we haven't been allowed to hunt all that long from trees with guns here in Michigan but I still think I'm a bit north of the 50% mark elevated.

Is from a truck considered from the ground or elevated??? Just kidding, everyone knows it's elevated.

41st season for me. North of 120 bow killed deer and close to 20 with various firearms. Only 4 of the firearm deer were elevated and I have killed a half dozen or so deer from the ground with the bow.

Bowhunting I’ve killed probably 80% from tree, but I can’t remember a single deer I’ve killed from a tree with a gun.

I've only killed 5 deer at this point... 1 sitting on a hill with a rifle in ND... 2 from a tree.... 1 from being tucked into a willow in the edge of a slough... and one from the ground after just climbing down from the tree.... doe walked up behind me while I was taking a leak.. had to slowly pick up my bow and re-nock.... can't believe she stuck around

57 years with recurve, compound, crossbow, shotgun, and revolver. Currently back to the recurve the last couple years and revolver during firearm season. No question about it, way more from the trees.

15 ish years, 3 with the bow. Bow kills are 50/50, doe from up in a tree last year and a buck while tethered in on the ground this year. Outside of that it’s mainly been sitting in a permanent stand with a rifle and maybe a couple of times on the ground. So overall more deer from an elevated position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6th season here. Pretty sure I've killed 10 deer from the ground, and 6 from an elevated position. Of the 6 elevated kills, only 2 were from higher than 8 feet to platform. Bow only.

10+ years and chose over half elevated. Almost all of my bow kills have been elevated but I killed a lot of deer from the ground with a rifle when I was younger so it’s pretty close.

About 54 Seasons already. I mostly hunt from the trees w/a bow. From the ground w/rifle. I'm guessing close to 180 deer, elk, bear. Still enjoying it as much as the first few yrs, maybe even more since we've gotten a little better at it.

26 yrs of bow hunting for me and all my bow kills have been elevated. Most of my gun kills as well except maybe 10 or so from the ground

I’m 45 now, I’ve been hunting since I was 10. Growing up in AK all my hunting was spot and stalk or still hunting, I didn’t even know stand hunting was a thing until I partnered up and my partner was like what stand you using and I had a blank expression on my face and replied wait you hunt from trees? What are you, Tarzan? How’s that work?

Back