• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kinda dumb question BUT

Jrain904

SH Member
How do you determine how high to set platform in the dark? With my hang on I feel like my head is about the height my stand needs to be and I can kinda look around and know I am at the right height. With the saddle I hang my platform at about shoulder height but obviously I will be standing so my shooting lanes will be about 5’ higher than I can see when hanging the platform. In the dark this can be tricky and I don’t really want to shine my light across the whole world lol.

How are you climbing the tree? Reason I ask is cause when I climbed with sticks I would base my height judgement off the last stick. Meaning I could stand on the top step or bottom step of the stick and determine which height gave me more open lanes to shoot through, that would give me a rough guess on where the platform needed to be.

First off. There is no real dumb question if you dont know. Please dont ever feel that way.
i measure my elbow to the tips of my fingers.
that’s usually your step gap height to.

I usually know my estimated height as compared to my shooting lanes/spots. That being said, I frequently need to adjust by a foot or two, once everything becomes visible (unless it's a tree/pre-set that I've hunted before).

I one stick w/ platform now so that decision is made for me but when I had separate platform I’d usually set my platform 2 feet higher than the top stand off my top stick

I normally just take a quick look around standing on the top step. If you're bowhunting you're only worried about less than 50 yards so I figure any deer close enough to see that has already heard me.

I like your style, but wouldn’t this be 1 cubits?
Nope, measurement stops at the wrist, I guesstimated the hand and fingers to be about a 1/3 cubit. Might be closer to a half for some and for the Ceelo Green's of the world it's prolly more like 1/8 :p

The times I've been too high at sun up I put my vest/pack back in, hook up pull down rope, unnock the arrow and put back in the quiver, stick my arm thru the limb and string or clip bow to my vest, detach bow holder strap, get rappel stuff hooked up and walk down to the platform and take it off, walk down to desired height and hook it all back up again...it it's not too far and no branches u could use ur Linesman's belt once back on the platform and pull tether down and reset it or hunt with the real long tether and be mindful that if u unweight it the quick link can slide down the tree.

Can someone clarify why the exact measurement of hunting height is important?

Can someone clarify why the exact measurement of hunting height is important?
I believe the OP is just referencing when he climbed with his hang on, he had a system to be set at the correct height. With a saddle, he is trying to figure out a system to set his platform so that when he is set, his shooting lanes are open. I don't believe he is asking a certain height. Just what everyone does to try and be at the correct height once set up.

Ok so I was incorrect in the length of a cubit. The reference I remembered was length of the forearm from elbow to wrist. @Jagger0502 corrected me. It is elbow to tip of middle finger.

Back