• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Biners I use .. question?

Go to EWO, get a madrock hsm or something like that. It has a wide short side that works perfect in the ropeman. I use a ropeman out of spec on 8mm, and the madrock(the one on eastern woods outdoors) kinda of fills the void.. the other thing I like about it is how big the other side is. I often rest my fingers inside my carabiner while I’m hanging out and they fit well. That oval doesn’t……I do use the singing rock(from EWO) for rappelling. It’s an oval and not the best for more than one finger resting. Both rocks(mad and singing) are available on EWO, and if you haven’t got your first EWO sticker, it’s time. EVERYTHING you need is there and geared towards saddle hunting……except the @beaston roll pouch
I use a few biners from Amazon (not recommended) too. I bought a 3 pack of auto locking carabiners that were well packaged and had weight ratings…..I forgot what they were, but I use one for my secondary bridge and one on my rappel line.
I trust them, find something YOU trust enough to put your life on.

BTW-welcome to the addiction! Have fun and be safe!

I'll cast another vote for the Petzls. That red indicator for the screw gates is nice, a quick look and you know if you're locked or not. But realistically, go with any known brand, they're known for a reason.

I'll cast another vote for the Petzls. That red indicator for the screw gates is nice, a quick look and you know if you're locked or not. But realistically, go with any known brand, they're known for a reason.

i went petzl at first due to name recognition, but stayed with them because i watched a youtube documentary where a climbing journalist interviewed them and toured their factory and design area....and it was super impressive....also, like you, i really like being able to feel that the carabiner is locked and also look and get the visual with the red being covered up

for instance, at petzl, every carabiner is inspected by humans and by machine several times and also tested with a heavy-ish but non-harming load (they put it in a little machine and pull every carabiner with something like 1,000 lbs)

Last edited:
Rock Exotica, Petzl, DMM are some of my go toys. I prefer auto lockers coming from the tree climbing side. The shape is dependent on what the intended use is of course.

Back