• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ROS vs Platform and why ?

So after reading 27 posts I see no one has incorporated a couple (2-4) steps into their platform strap. I have an EDP and want to slide 3 or 4 steps into the same strap as the EDP. I would then have the best of both words. Do you guys have any concerns about incorporating 3 or 4 steps onto the the same strap as a platform?
No….this is the best of both worlds!

D3221444-D1D6-4551-8CD7-9CFD259F1AA5.jpeg

I think the ROS is the better option myself.

It’s lighter, more comfortable, you can walk around the tree to use the tree for cover if needed.

Kneeling into the tree with a platform puts a lot of fatigue on the inner thighs from trying to hold your legs together. After a long sit on a platform I am definitely feeling it for the next couple of days.

Straddling the tree is more comfortable to me. Stiff soled shoes are a must.

I think the ROS is the better option myself.

It’s lighter, more comfortable, you can walk around the tree to use the tree for cover if needed.

Kneeling into the tree with a platform puts a lot of fatigue on the inner thighs from trying to hold your legs together. After a long sit on a platform I am definitely feeling it for the next couple of days.

Straddling the tree is more comfortable to me. Stiff soled shoes are a must.

I recently found out that onesticking with a Klemz Platform and adding 3-4 Pioneer steps is the best of both world. I would think the same concept applied to a regular one stick setup. I agree that some saddle built forces the knee together, my Recon didn't do this but the Dryad Hammock definitely did. The comfortable of being able to rest your feet spread out is the best for sitter, leaning probably uses the platform section more. But no joke, peeing from a platform is way easier.

I have used a ring of steps off and on, solo, with a mission platform, and with a one stick w/UP. Generally I've found that I like them for access around the tree, but spend most of my time sitting /leaning off of the platform. The two deer ice shot from the saddle this year were both up over the bridge shots, one of which I couldn't get around to that side of the tree for a shot (weird forked tree) and the other I could have walked around but didn't need to. Foot comfort for me seems to be more related to the insole stiffness than the platform/steps, and the biggest comfort improvement I made this season is trying s back band, but that's off topic.

I recently found out that onesticking with a Klemz Platform and adding 3-4 Pioneer steps is the best of both world. I would think the same concept applied to a regular one stick setup. I agree that some saddle built forces the knee together, my Recon didn't do this but the Dryad Hammock definitely did. The comfortable of being able to rest your feet spread out is the best for sitter, leaning probably uses the platform section more. But no joke, peeing from a platform is way easier.

Yes that’s what I do. ION and a step on each side actually a little higher than my platform.

Peeing from the ROS is fun. Though… some 180 neo moves so you don’t pee on all your gear.

I currently run a ridge runner with 2 steps so I can walk around the tree a bit better and straddle the tree when I'm sitting to reduce some of the knee to the tree pressure. I'm debating switching to just a ring of steps to reduce weight, specifically those Bullman Platform steps. I'm currently using Hawk steps, but those platform ones look like they'd be way more comfortable.

I've been doing a lot of mobile hunting searching for fresh sign when I'm out, and the weight in my pack is starting to add up, which is the main motivation for switching to the ROS. But I do like the platform because it's easier to stand when I need to make adjustments, and I'm planning on keeping it for those days where its going to be a longer sit and I won't be scouting around.

Yes that’s what I do. ION and a step on each side actually a little higher than my platform.

Peeing from the ROS is fun. Though… some 180 neo moves so you don’t pee on all your gear.
Peeing from a ROS is actually my biggest issue with ROS :grimacing: :sweatsmile:

I had an experience Saturday evening that made me love my scout platform even more over the ROS. I had deer come in behind me and was able to turn my body enough comfortably to take the shot (hit branch and missed)...but...that shot would have been 10x more PITA with ROS.

I am experimenting using an Anytree 2 step as my ros/ platform. So far I like the maneuverability and comfort- with just straightening knees you can move around the tree quite easily. Going to try another sit and gather some more feedback.

Well my results tell that for me 2 W,E. steps provides a better option at least for me.

The particular tree had a subtle lean and I tried both and was able to negate it better with the W.E. steps. The other climb did not yield the same results and the Anytree strap worked well maybe tree diameter played a part.

Mostly pre-sets for me. Ring of bolts at about 7 inch gap is my preference. ROS is my second choice. I may use my platform as well, but last choice. Considering selling my Predator to offset the cost of a set of treehopper plastic steps and ratchet strap. Love my cranfords, but i have to be very careful to be quiet with them. As far as the why, as deer pass me or come from the wrong direction. I have to change position around the tree and the platform isn't enough.

When it comes to long distance light weight and pacability.1 and a half pounds wet ring of steps.when it comes to i dont mind the size ,weight or metal ,pack a lone wolf climbing stand.4 cylendar for comuting,big Block for going fast.dont need a v six

Do both. Great for strong side shots between 11:00-2:00
d6a51c281685eaf5e625d38e44c28cf0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back