• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Notch Quickie Verdict

Empostarr

Alright, its been quite a while since people started using the Notch Quickie, I think 2019 or 2020 was when it first started popping up on here as an option to the Oval and Delta quick links. I currently have a delta but sometimes that damned thing gets so tight I feel like I need a small pair of pliers to unscrew it, when I need to unscrew it, which isn't often but may happen more frequently as I start to 2TC more.

What's the verdict? Are people still using it? How did it hold up in rainy, snowy, and icy conditions?

Did anyone go back to a different type of link?

Thanks for the info!

I’ve been using mine for a few years and am happy with it. As said above it is a bit of a pain in cold weather because it’s difficult to release with gloves on or without gloves and cold fingers. It definitely makes more noise than the delta link especially if you let it rattle around while handling it. I always hold my finger over the little detents when i push it back in so they don’t snap back and make that pinging noise. I still have no plans to go back to the delta link. I hunt in the North Country for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, its been quite a while since people started using the Notch Quickie, I think 2019 or 2020 was when it first started popping up on here as an option to the Oval and Delta quick links. I currently have a delta but sometimes that damned thing gets so tight I feel like I need a small pair of pliers to unscrew it, when I need to unscrew it, which isn't often but may happen more frequently as I start to 2TC more.

What's the verdict? Are people still using it? How did it hold up in rainy, snowy, and icy conditions?

Did anyone go back to a different type of link?

Thanks for the info!

i'm using a 9 mm stainless delta from maillon rapide

i only tighten enough that it is finger snug and ain't going anywhere

are you tightening it down a lot when you have weight on it? that makes my 'biners and links bind a bit

i'm using a 9 mm stainless delta from maillon rapide

i only tighten enough that it is finger snug and ain't going anywhere

are you tightening it down a lot when you have weight on it? that makes my 'biners and links bind a bit
I climb mostly SRT, and I barely ever unscrew my delta. I check to make sure it's tight, but I've found that a couple of times I did want to unscrew it, like using my rappel line as my tether, but I couldn't by hand and needed pliers. It's probably from tightening against the tree.

I've been scouting a lot of different woods this season and want to incorporate 2TC more because it will work better in some trees, so I may be opening the link more. I was just looking for something that might be quicker and less of a hassle when I need to open the link, and i came across the quickie again.

I climb mostly SRT, and I barely ever unscrew my delta. I check to make sure it's tight, but I've found that a couple of times I did want to unscrew it, like using my rappel line as my tether, but I couldn't by hand and needed pliers. It's probably from tightening against the tree.

I've been scouting a lot of different woods this season and want to incorporate 2TC more because it will work better in some trees, so I may be opening the link more. I was just looking for something that might be quicker and less of a hassle when I need to open the link, and i came across the quickie again.

i'd consider some anti seize or silicone based string wax on the threads

also, i attach wrap my link and rope with a ranger band and move it so that the tether's initial attachment to the link is in the corner of the delta as far away as possible from the gate, this keeps the link from being dropped but also makes the gate rotate away from the tree when loaded.....the quick links (especially stainless ones) are so strong above their rating that i don't worry about any weir loading......i'll be ripped in half before a 9 mm stainless delta link fails in any way...they can pick up an f250

Meh, it’s like a baby rattle, it’s heavy (not to carry, but on the tree), it’s expensive and when I considered that it took 5 seconds to screw down a quick link and 2 seconds to pin the notch twice during the course of a 6 hr hunt the negatives didn’t outweigh advantages for me. I don’t mind paying for a leap in convenience, the notch wasn’t it. Just my .02.

I like the ease of using it when navigating branches and it really shines in the retrieval process because of the spinning pin. I use an oval screw link but it does introduce some friction in the retrieval process. Not for everyone but serves me well.

I’m using a petzyl stainless steel screw lock carabiner. I have a little shock cord to on it so the tether doesn’t slide. Havent had any issues in about a year or so of use. Much easier to fool with than a screw link in my opinion.

I’m using a petzyl stainless steel screw lock carabiner. I have a little shock cord to on it so the tether doesn’t slide. Havent had any issues in about a year or so of use. Much easier to fool with than a screw link in my opinion.
I wonder why more people don't go to a high rated stainless carabiner? Weight maybe? I know we've discussed side loading carabiners over and over, but is most of that logic applicable to a steel biner across the trunk of a tree? All the examples are over a sharp edge like a rock or something

Meh, it’s like a baby rattle, it’s heavy (not to carry, but on the tree), it’s expensive and when I considered that it took 5 seconds to screw down a quick link and 2 seconds to pin the notch twice during the course of a 6 hr hunt the negatives didn’t outweigh advantages for me. I don’t mind paying for a leap in convenience, the notch wasn’t it. Just my .02.

The rattle can be mitigated, if it is otherwise worth it.

I went from a locking aluminum ‘biner, to a heavy steel quicklink, back to a locking aluminum carabiner.

Back