• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My biggest saddle hunting complaints…

muzzypower

Bark in my eyes sliding tether up. Also, how i think im high enough based on tetherbut my feet are like 8 feet lower! Guess i need to just keep going up. Invariably i hit a limb n lazy kicks in and i lock n load where i’m at

Bark in my eyes sliding tether up. Also, how i think im high enough based on tetherbut my feet are like 8 feet lower! Guess i need to just keep going up. Invariably i hit a limb n lazy kicks in and i lock n load where i’m at
What climbing method are you using? Heigh is not as important as cover and location, in my opinion but since I hunt some hilly terrain sometimes, I have to go high just to get where I need to be, Last night was a prime example. I had to max out my pull up rope (30ft) to get to cover and a good height. Bark in your eyes is definitely not good.

Wow you must be a tall one, my feet are only about 5' down...... JK. I like to hunt as low as cover will allow. Shot angles are much better. Too high and you are guaranteed only one lung. I've set my tether just high enough to see over the brush in places.

What climbing method are you using? Heigh is not as important as cover and location, in my opinion but since I hunt some hilly terrain sometimes, I have to go high just to get where I need to be, Last night was a prime example. I had to max out my pull up rope (30ft) to get to cover and a good height. Bark in your eyes is definitely not good.
Lwhc. I go to height as canopy dictates

Wow you must be a tall one, my feet are only about 5' down...... JK. I like to hunt as low as cover will allow. Shot angles are much better. Too high and you are guaranteed only one lung. I've set my tether just high enough to see over the brush in places.
Nah 5’10”. But i put tether as high as i can on tip toes

I used to have to be around 30’ no matter what. Bad shot angles and excessive noise, time, and energy changed my mind.

Now, I want to be as close to the ground as possible. I’m starting to prefer hunting from the ground when the situation permits.

your blind spot (behind you) is not the deer's blind spot....it stinks hearing a noise behind you that sounds like a deer and you know they might be looking at you....so you have to sit there motionless while the deer does its thing

with a stand, if you hear something behind you, then you at least know the deer probably can't see you either....if you have your bow in your lap or on your seat with a third hand holder...then you can slowly get it ready to go, especially if you know you are up pretty high and there is cover behind you (edit: and you aren't in a super skinny tree)

this is a really big deal to me and i'm surprised it isn't brought up more

this and the easier ability to take shots to your right (for a rightie) are the only advantages i see with a traditional hang on stand

Last edited:
your blind spot (behind you) is not the deer's blind spot....it stinks hearing a noise behind you that sounds like a deer and you know they might be looking at you....so you have to sit there motionless while the deer does its thing

with a stand, if you hear something behind you, then you at least know the deer probably can't see you either....if you have your bow in your lap or on your seat with a third hand holder...then you can slowly get it ready to go, especially if you know you are up pretty high and there is cover behind you

this and the easier ability to take shots to your right (for a rightie) are the only advantages i see with a traditional hang on stand

here's the remedy

Time for the old Deer View Mirror

1831aa58e43bf5936737a3a5a7a503ab.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah 5’10”. But i put tether as high as i can on tip toes
Do you really like your tether that high? Attaching them above your head seems to be the old school method.
Dave Toms did a video about attaching really low, like collar bone height or lower. I thought he was crazy until I tried it. So much better IMO.

Do you really like your tether that high? Attaching them above your head seems to be the old school method.
Dave Toms did a video about attaching really low, like collar bone height or lower. I thought he was crazy until I tried it. So much better IMO.
Depends on if im in jx3 or classic 2 pretty much. I try low tether every now n again

i attached mine a bit higher than usual the other day and got hip pinch for the first time

i lowered it and it went away

with a stand, if you hear something behind you, then you at least know the deer probably can't see you either....if you have your bow in your lap or on your seat with a third hand holder...then you can slowly get it ready to go, especially if you know you are up pretty high and there is cover behind you (edit: and you aren't in a super skinny tree)

Absolutely right. The higher u are the easier it is to move around and not get busted. With back problems it's not easy for me to sit for long let alone be still in the same position even leaning in the saddle. I find my self readjusting quite a bit with my head always on a swivel. Unless I have really good cover I prefer to get 25-30'.Shot angle has never been a problem for me (nock on wood) big mechanical probably helps with that.

Deerview mirror homie

Edit: Aww shucks. I didn't read down far enough.

I found eye drops are necessary for flushing out tree crap and saw dust from doing tree work.

Absolutely right. The higher u are the easier it is to move around and not get busted. With back problems it's not easy for me to sit for long let alone be still in the same position even leaning in the saddle. I find my self readjusting quite a bit with my head always on a swivel. Unless I have really good cover I prefer to get 25-30'.Shot angle has never been a problem for me (nock on wood) big mechanical probably helps with that.
A lost buck from 30’ caused me to switch to big mechanicals. Glancing liver shot w a 1” muz

Back