• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Hanger Suggestions

ChristopherReed

What do y’all use for your bow hanger on public land?

I ask because in my rush to get into the woods; I have been using a large S-Biner hanging from a gear strap which worked great, until it didn’t.

After the first decent rain since the start of the season I had my first buck sneak up on me and I didn’t notice him until he was 10 yards away. When trying to retrieve my bow, the “clip” was cumbersome and by the time I was able to get my bow free, he blew, and gave me a beautiful view of his splayed tail as he crashed through the understory.

This first season has been an amazing learning opportunity (don’t hunt with your ears after a decent rain) and I’m honestly excited that I was able to read the sign and set up in the right place, so I’m not too torn up that I missed a shot opportunity. I would however like to put some meat in the freezer the next time I see one and my current bow hanger works great for hanging a bow but not for actually using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Large S-Biner are you using?

I am using the HeroClip along with the Hys strap from Tethrd. But I use it upside down by some peoples concept. By using it upside down I can just pick it up and go. It also makes is very secure on the Hys strap.

View attachment 74701

Take all of that with a grain a salt as I have now hunted one month from a saddle.

That’s not upside down. If you did it the other way, removing your bow would require two hands. That’s crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, I’m not proud of it but I’m currently using a very large S-Biner from Nite eyes that I found at a hardware store.

2fe91972f68660944fec25c3dbdcc30d.jpg

That’s not upside down. If you did it the other way, removing your bow would require two hands. That’s crazy.
If you look at the original concept for the product you will see thay saddle hunters do hang it upside down.
1666821768779.png

If you look at the original concept for the product you will see thay saddle hunters do hang it upside down.
View attachment 74709
So, I’m not proud of it but I’m currently using a very large S-Biner from Nite eyes that I found at a hardware store.
There's yer problem right there.
At best you need to break off that spring clip on one side. At best buy a Heroclip.

View attachment 74709

Interesting. Obviously, the inventor didn’t think about needing to stealthily remove a bow from her product (I do remember that it is a woman who invented it).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

View attachment 74709

There's yer problem right there.
At best you need to break off that spring clip on one side. At best buy a Heroclip.

Well sometimes all you need is another perspective .

I’ll rip the retainer off and put some athletic tape on it to reduce any rattling noise impact.

I use the Genesis 3D printing strap and bowholder. I’ve tried many of the alternatives. Hero clips etc.

I use a bent coat hanger. It works just fine. I use a heavy crossbow too.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your input!

I took off the retainer and covered the bottom half of my S-Biner with kinesiology tape and that solved my problem.

I am actually kind of amazed how much the tape deadens the sound.

Trad bow:

Amsteel daisy chain with cam jam and a Genesis 3D bow hanger. This combo works well, holds my backpack as well. Packs down to nearly nothing.

To each their own, but I don't understand pay $30 for a hero clip when a drill hanger works the exact same. I've been using something like this for the past 3 years.

Agree with this. I bought a hero clip thinking it would be the jam. Used it a few times and ended up tearing it apart. What I was left with was the inside hook that I straightened out a bit and wrapped in heat shrink. Works well for what I do. Could have gotten of a lot cheaper.

4b2fa63f6d1a334594b9124dd25483a7.jpg

I need to take a pic of these nite eyes biners I just got. They have a V shaped notch in the back that'll slip in between a tether and the tree....no clipping or threading. I bought two to try out.

I like to make my own. I made 2 sets for $12. Here is a video on making the hooks:

nTnNIrf.jpg

Sus2d7v.jpg

ruDQ9VK.jpg

Last edited:
Ive got a strap with 4 hooks. Works plenty good. Use one on opposite side of tree for my pack, 1 hook for the bow, 1 for rattlin antlers & 1 for my quiver. Hnh gear TLB hooks n bow holder. Also have similar one from another company. Work great.

I buy the big, cheap D ring carabiners from Home Depot and pull the gate off and tape them up (no noise). They work great with the HYS strap for bow and pack hangers. Slip the small end up and thru the HYS opening and it leaves the large end as a bow holder. Cheap and easy.

Back