• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Veterans sound off

This is how I feel too.

I definitely feel awkward in those conversations, too. Especially since my Guard unit spent more time sweeping floors than training for our job…and I never deployed. My wife has to elbow me any time we’re in a meeting and someone asks if there are any veterans in the room.

But I think it’s good to be able to receive thanks from someone. That conversation may be as much about them sharing gratefulness as it is about you receiving it.

I was at the liquor store this evening, BS’ing with the owner, another customer heard us talking and paid for my beer. I felt ashamed.

I know he was doing it to be nice and “thank you for your service”, but I didn’t join for the free stuff. I joined to springboard myself to a civilian job and nothing more. Things changed after 9/11 but I was still there to simply do my job.

To be honest, I have no idea what to say when someone says “Thank you for your service”. Even worse, I feel ashamed for reaching out to the local VA rep today due to my lungs.

What a funny world we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always say " Thank you, it was my honor". Regardless of your reasons for serving, you served. regardless of where or when you served, you served. I've not met one veteran who served who did it for the accolades. Chin up troop! Accept the appreciation of those you served for with the same pride that you felt when you volunteered to "raise your right hand". You are forever a veteran of the United States of America, wear it with pride. Accept the support from the VA as benefit not given, but for what it is,,, a benefit earned.

I was at the liquor store this evening, BS’ing with the owner, another customer heard us talking and paid for my beer. I felt ashamed.

I know he was doing it to be nice and “thank you for your service”, but I didn’t join for the free stuff. I joined to springboard myself to a civilian job and nothing more. Things changed after 9/11 but I was still there to simply do my job.

To be honest, I have no idea what to say when someone says “Thank you for your service”. Even worse, I feel ashamed for reaching out to the local VA rep today due to my lungs.

What a funny world we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to always be uncomfortable when people would tell me thank you for your service. My unit saw some combat and a lot of deployments in my 4 years, but I felt so awkward when people would say this me. Last year I started answering back "thank you for your support" and it has really helped me be comfortable with those situations. I really do love the support non-veterans show us, and we should never forget how lucky we are to be supported, unlike the Vietnam era veterans. Now I have no issues and welcome talking to people about my service. I guess I just needed shift in the way I thought about those situations.

It is not always just about showing appreciation for your service when we say thank you, sometimes it is also a sort of acknowledgement of our regret for having not served. At least it is for me. Wanted to be a marine sniper and went and talked to the guy at the recruiting office. He told me I would never be selected for that program because of my medical history. Pissed me off and I never looked at military service again really.

It is not always just about showing appreciation for your service when we say thank you, sometimes it is also a sort of acknowledgement of our regret for having not served. At least it is for me. Wanted to be a marine sniper and went and talked to the guy at the recruiting office. He told me I would never be selected for that program because of my medical history. Pissed me off and I never looked at military service again really.
I went in for the Army originally, they told me because of a screw in my face from a surgery to correct a cleft lip, they wouldn't accept me. Id never be combat able. Air Force accepted me with a waiver, but it took months to find out if they would or not

I agree with @BTaylor when I say thank you for your service, it's because I truly am grateful. You did something that enables me to be the free person that I am, and I am in your debt for it. Please, when you are thanked, accept it. It is literally the least anyone cound do to show appreciation.

As far as the discounts and all that go, in my opinion it's deserved. You signed up for something that we didn't, so it's just another way to acknowledge that.

I used to always be uncomfortable when people would tell me thank you for your service. My unit saw some combat and a lot of deployments in my 4 years, but I felt so awkward when people would say this me. Last year I started answering back "thank you for your support" and it has really helped me be comfortable with those situations. I really do love the support non-veterans show us, and we should never forget how lucky we are to be supported, unlike the Vietnam era veterans. Now I have no issues and welcome talking to people about my service. I guess I just needed shift in the way I thought about those situations.

I'm shifting the awkwardness off onto others this year.

1669229669363.png

Back