• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best place in America to Hunt Whitetails

If you are fortunate enough to live to my age, there will be plenty of time for hunts after the children are grown. This is my eighth season since retiring and the little woman is happy to have me out hunting for her alone time. Cherish the time with the kids, grandchildren, greatgrandchildren, etc.

How? Based on what I saw for KY alone it would be close to $300. My in-laws have a 140 acre farm there. I need to figure out how to become a "resident"!
Simple, plan a 5 week hunt, after 4 weeks of scouting you'll be a resident! Last week, hunt!
Think of all the money you'll save....no wait.....

How? Based on what I saw for KY alone it would be close to $300. My in-laws have a 140 acre farm there. I need to figure out how to become a "resident"!
Sorry, should have clarified a little more. None of those states are over $350 individually, I dont think. I didnt mean all together. I have KY down as $335 for archery. That may not be exactly correct either. I was just trying to put a quick list together before going back to confirm the details.

Not sure if this will work for you but it is what I did.

I found a 40 acre property in the state that I like to hunt with a cabin on it when my wife was 6 months pregnant. It is 4 miles from a 3800 acre public piece that is archery only. We bought it as an investment and have the field farmed to help cover the payment. We take a 2 week family vacation to the cabin each year. We spend 3 days driving up and 3 days driving home while stopping at multiple locations based on what the family wants (zoos, aquariums, museums, etc.). We are at the cabin for 7-8 days during which I get to devote to hunting.

Key benefits:
It brackets the hunting trip with family adventures so no one feels left out.
I still get to sleep with my wife and tuck the kids in at night.
My wife takes care of the cooking while we are there so that is less stress on me.
She doesn’t feel abandoned like she would if I were to take a week hunting trip by myself.
Our property value has went up 30% in the last 3 years.

We just got home from our trip this year and we have our 2nd child due in Feb.

Not sure if this will work for you but it is what I did.

I found a 40 acre property in the state that I like to hunt with a cabin on it when my wife was 6 months pregnant. It is 4 miles from a 3800 acre public piece that is archery only. We bought it as an investment and have the field farmed to help cover the payment. We take a 2 week family vacation to the cabin each year. We spend 3 days driving up and 3 days driving home while stopping at multiple locations based on what the family wants (zoos, aquariums, museums, etc.). We are at the cabin for 7-8 days during which I get to devote to hunting.

Key benefits:
It brackets the hunting trip with family adventures so no one feels left out.
I still get to sleep with my wife and tuck the kids in at night.
My wife takes care of the cooking while we are there so that is less stress on me.
She doesn’t feel abandoned like she would if I were to take a week hunting trip by myself.
Our property value has went up 30% in the last 3 years.

We just got home from our trip this year and we have our 2nd child due in Feb.
Plenty of value in going that route but I get the sense that he is somewhat like me and likes to see and hunt other places and different terrain too, more than just having a place. That can be both in state and out of state too.

We've veering off topic a little but I'll give you a little more unsolicited advice. This was really good advice. Generally if I do a morning hunt now I only do 1 morning of the weekend and let my wife sleep the other. Last year I could do both because her and my daughter would sleep in until 9 together so I was barely missed in the morning. But now that the baby is here it makes a big difference for me to take her one of the weekend mornings so my wife can sleep in. Basically the only weekend I even think about 2 weekend mornings right now is opening weekend when I'm trying to get my doe. More advice, try not to be gone all day. Even if you hunt 2 days of the weekend, hunt only one sit. If you hunt 2 sits in a day it helps if you get back home and spend some time with the family during lunch if you are close enough. Trust me, I've made most of the mistakes that you can make in this regard. Sometimes just a little bit of effort or consideration will go a long way.
I both agree and disagree with this, and some of it comes down to the dynamics of your relationship. My wife would throw a ****fit if she was planning on me doing an AM sit and then me being home late because I shot a deer (even though that's... You know, the point). I therefore budget time in an all day fashion only when around hunting. If I come home earlier than expected so what.

But I feel like I'm helping this whole thread go down a tangent you may have no interest in, you were asking about what states to hunt, not for relationship advice.

I hear people talking about Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, Kansas a lot. Had another thought that you may want to consider season dates and lengths? And then that combined with how long you can get away for in a stretch and what time of year may narrow the field somewhat and not waste time looking up deer numbers for a state you logistically can't get to easily?

That’s the real question he needs answered…. He just doesn’t know it yet. Lol
Preparing for your first baby, for me, was like putting on a bulletproof vest ready to demonstrate its stopping power against a 9mm, and then a tank shoots you, haha. You think maybe you know but probably not… it’s the relentlessness of it, somebody sets the treadmill to 7.8 and you can never get off. But it’s awesome too.

@kyler1945 as a new father gift, if you can ever get to southern Ohio I can point you right to a pre-scouted section that has really big deer in it. I’d hunt it myself but I’m near Cleveland and my wife won’t let me lol.

Also, I do agree that a separate thread on hunting tips for those with kids is a good idea! I go to r/daddit on reddit sometimes for therapy.

Id
I’m staring down kid number one, work, and lots of other hobbies and interests.

I have traditionally been able to hunt successfully in Louisiana near where I live(less than 3 hour drive), and made trips to several other states and enjoyed success. Going forward I may not have the time money and focus to plan so many logistics.

This might just be crunching the Nutterbuster spreadsheets, but I figured I’d get other opinions as well.

I’m looking for the best place to spend my money. As a combination of public land with low hunter density, high deer density, the ability to kill 4+ deer per season(both sexes), reasonable chances at big deer, and pretty country.

I’ve been able to piece this together traveling around. I’m looking for one state to spend a season.

Let’s hear what you guys think.
For context i have 5 boys all 7yr-2mo and a wife at home but ive never felt the need to hunt anywhere else beside kisatchie near Georgetown, Tensas and bayou Macon. As far as filling tags if i dnt have 4 down before T-giving its a slow year or i just haven't put in the time or needed to, most years i buy a half or quarter calf depending on deer downed. As far as things for the wall, not me personally but everyone i know in these forementioned areas have plenty. I only bowhunt these 3 reserves and only ever have with the ocasional Thistlewait and Indian Creek so if its brown is down, and spikes and 4’s taste better anyways lol but ive never felt the need to leave sportsman’s paradise to hunt.

So you’re having a kid and now you’re trying to figure out how spend a season in a distant state. Not sure if you’re logic is unsound or you communication skills are subpar, but good luck either way

Does the wife work? Does she like to get out and do things? What are these other “hobbies” you have? Depending on how she’s wired and y’all’s other hobbies buy a camper and take them with you. Ditch some of the other hobbies that don’t make much sense and take the camper places she wants to go when it’s not deer season.

Find a state that meets your ego criteria for deer, find a job and move there. And I say ego there not as a shot at you, but as the truth. If your local deer aren’t good enough it’s because of some criteria you’ve set for yourself and that’s ego. Now, if you want to challenge yourself as a hunter instead of simply killing bigger deer come to damn near any Southeastern State and hunt public land. And, I dare say, your home state fits that bill perfectly as well.

So you’re having a kid and now you’re trying to figure out how spend a season in a distant state. Not sure if you’re logic is unsound or you communication skills are subpar, but good luck either way

Does the wife work? Does she like to get out and do things? What are these other “hobbies” you have? Depending on how she’s wired and y’all’s other hobbies buy a camper and take them with you. Ditch some of the other hobbies that don’t make much sense and take the camper places she wants to go when it’s not deer season.

Find a state that meets your ego criteria for deer, find a job and move there. And I say ego there not as a shot at you, but as the truth. If your local deer aren’t good enough it’s because of some criteria you’ve set for yourself and that’s ego. Now, if you want to challenge yourself as a hunter instead of simply killing bigger deer come to damn near any Southeastern State and hunt public land. And, I dare say, your home state fits that bill perfectly as well.

Camper or an AirBnB near your ground is the way to go. I have a 7 and a highly autistic 19 yr old. Every time I go hunting, the camper goes. The wife even asks for me to go hunting so we can go camping. She got pissed a couple of yrs ago when I got out of a club because she didn’t have anywhere to camp…so I got my own ground, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe he previously mentioned she is a school teacher. If my recollection is correct, that at least makes her time off relatively predictable. But also limits time off to a certain schedule that would't be the top choice for many hunters. Kind of a unique challenge to take on.

Last edited:
We've veering off topic a little but I'll give you a little more unsolicited advice. This was really good advice. Generally if I do a morning hunt now I only do 1 morning of the weekend and let my wife sleep the other. Last year I could do both because her and my daughter would sleep in until 9 together so I was barely missed in the morning. But now that the baby is here it makes a big difference for me to take her one of the weekend mornings so my wife can sleep in. Basically the only weekend I even think about 2 weekend mornings right now is opening weekend when I'm trying to get my doe. More advice, try not to be gone all day. Even if you hunt 2 days of the weekend, hunt only one sit. If you hunt 2 sits in a day it helps if you get back home and spend some time with the family during lunch if you are close enough. Trust me, I've made most of the mistakes that you can make in this regard. Sometimes just a little bit of effort or consideration will go a long way.
Yup, this is how I work these days. 4 year old and 7 year old. I hunt mornings mostly. 30mins before sunrise till about 9:30. Only days I'm in the woods longer than that usually are if my wife has family stuff at the in-laws, or opening weekend of archery and bow.

Towards this point in the season, I'll do one morning one day, and an evening another. that lets my wife sleep in one morning(she works in the md field and works A LOT and is up doing work super late).

Deer hunting will be there the rest of your life. Dont miss out on moments you'll never get back again with your family. Kids may want to hunt with you for a bit when they're younger, they may not...they may prioritize it over sports...they may not...but there will probably come a time they want to prioritize their own interests over hunting(significant others, school, sports, sleeping, whatever) which is OK-- Hunting will be there for us then.

Enjoy it all.

As usual, I got a whole lot more than I bargained for here!

I'm fully prepared to be fully unprepared when the little snot factory arrives.

I don't intend on abandoning my family.

I plan to hunt my old haunts in LA when home visiting family, and I'll hunt around the house on public in TX. Those will be convenient "hunt without making everyone mad" options.

I don't have "ego deer". I shoot pretty much anything legal until the freezer is full. And then I'll be selective if I'm in a place that being selective makes sense. I like to bowhunt because there's less people in the woods. That's it. I don't have some notion I'm more noble because I shoot stuff with a bow. I will gun hunt just as much. In the same places, where deer are almost always 50 yards and in. In other words - I'm an opportunistic hunter, looking to get the most bang for the buck on time/opportunities. I chase cold fronts, good dirt, and thick cover.

I'm not "planning" to leave for 3-4 weeks next deer season while I leave my lady to tend to the offspring. But I want to prepare for carving out 7-14 days total, spread across a few long weekends or vacation days. If it makes sense, I do it. If it doesn't, I don't.

I've killed deer in Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Arkansas, and Missouri. I have a good feel for those states. It is good to hear folks perspective on those, and others though.

The lady likes to hike, hunt, and generally be in the woods about 20-30% as much as I do. Both in terms of quantity (time) and quality (willingness to do it in crap weather, ugly woods, etc.). Which is perfect - She's game for 45*-75* weather, and pretty woods. This creates opportunity to camp, hike, and hunt together enough to get quality time. Much of that will be doable with the half pint in tow - we can hotel, camper, or cabin it. I can tack on more intense hunting activities around that type of trip.

Has anyone figured out a pulley system to hoist up the crash rated car seat to hunting height yet?

I should also say that I'm fully prepared to enjoy hunting 10% as much as I do now the second the kid is born. And that will be just fine too.

I'm just peeking down all trails before the baby picks one for me.

I plan to hunt my old haunts in LA when home visiting family, and I'll hunt around the house on public in TX. Those will be convenient "hunt without making everyone mad" options.

I don't have "ego deer". I shoot pretty much anything legal until the freezer is full. And then I'll be selective if I'm in a place that being selective makes sense. I like to bowhunt because there's less people in the woods. That's it. I don't have some notion I'm more noble because I shoot stuff with a bow. I will gun hunt just as much. In the same places, where deer are almost always 50 yards and in. In other words - I'm an opportunistic hunter, looking to get the most bang for the buck on time/opportunities. I chase cold fronts, good dirt, and thick cover.

I'm not "planning" to leave for 3-4 weeks next deer season while I leave my lady to tend to the offspring. But I want to prepare for carving out 7-14 days total, spread across a few long weekends or vacation days. If it makes sense, I do it. If it doesn't, I don't.

I've killed deer in Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Arkansas, and Missouri. I have a good feel for those states. It is good to hear folks perspective on those, and others though.

The lady likes to hike, hunt, and generally be in the woods about 20-30% as much as I do. Both in terms of quantity (time) and quality (willingness to do it in crap weather, ugly woods, etc.). Which is perfect - She's game for 45*-75* weather, and pretty woods. This creates opportunity to camp, hike, and hunt together enough to get quality time. Much of that will be doable with the half pint in tow - we can hotel, camper, or cabin it. I can tack on more intense hunting activities around that type of trip.

Has anyone figured out a pulley system to hoist up the crash rated car seat to hunting height yet?
To Answer your original question: NOT VERMONT.

ITs a little further for you ovbiously...but all my friends that travel now to hunt Generally make a trip to Ohio or Pennsylvania. They ALWAYS tag out on big deer...

Yah come on up to Maryland and bring the wife along. She could visit some of the (really good and a lot are free) museums in DC if she doesn't want to go to the woods. Or head to western Maryland there's resorts and such in the Deep Creek Lake area though there's other guys here that know that area better.

I've got a new ground blind you can use if you can't figure out getting the carseat elevated lol.

Bonus: sika deer.

Back