• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How far are you guys driving to your pieces?

I shoulda reworded the question as I was more interested in if people would rather stay local to get more hunting in or travel to get closer to bigger deer.

For me, there basically is no local hunting unless it's a controlled hunt or some other special case. It's about a 1hr drive anywhere to hunt.

The areas I hunt are about a 25 to 40 minute drive. I did pick up a private permission property very recently close to the house, but I have not scouted it much at all. I plan to go over it with a fine-tooth comb in February.

I also have some permission property about an hour from me that I have really neglected scouting out and setting up properly. Getting that place dialed in post season is high on my to do list. I can do dialed in preset rut spots there so I'm looking forward to that.

My problem is I hate to drive, and I absolutely hate to drive in the dark. This time of year, it is all driving in the dark.

I have a lease 40 mins away that’s close to public I hunt. But I also live on 40 acres, and just walk out the back door some mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1-hr to leased 60 acres, adjacent to 1000s of MI state land.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I can walk out my back door and hunt my 40 acres and 10k+ acres of public in the Cherokee National. Also have smaller plots of land both public and private within a 30-minute drive.

2 hours to in-laws 60 acre farm. Can be on thousands of acres of public in about 20 minutes, but it is tough mountain hunting. I liked that stuff when I was young and had a lot of free time, but only occasionally now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back