• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Live from the saddle 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks Like You Have Some Pretty Big Chickens There in Florida....
Osceola long neck chicken

I opted to go straight and follow the deer for maybe 200yd until the trail entered real thick palmettos that I'm not going into....should have turned right after the chicken

Got this picture from the spot I was in last night. It’s set on a beaver dam crossing in some swampy stuff. Thinking of pulling an audible and going in behind him now before he comes back. Skinny woods and more of a travel cooridor so that’s why I think I can get in behind him before he comes back. Thoughts?E866B125-622A-4385-A8D9-755D61A01D53.jpeg

0CF5C5C0-432B-4D0A-9F69-C389C432A23B.jpeg2F4AE1A5-3737-45D6-A4CC-ECBAB8AC82C4.jpeg
bunch of does feeding in the field where I’m pointing (plus I wanted everyone to see how cool I am for wearing Sitka:tongueout:). Decent buck was out there trynna lookup their skirts but my does are modest ladies so he lost interest. Almost killed my first coyote today, he came to 20 yds and I squeaked my lips at him, but he eventually pegged me when I reached for my bow. Fingers crossed for a freezer filled this morning. Wind is doing sinful stuff to my fingers so big ups to @boyne bowhunter for the cheat code of hooking muff to my bridge. Genius, genius, geeeeeeniuuuuuus!

Osceola long neck chicken

I opted to go straight and follow the deer for maybe 200yd until the trail entered real thick palmettos that I'm not going into....should have turned right after the chicken
We have em here too but they're Eastern Long Necks

I didn’t catch that buck on either of my cameras which he was between so I have no clue where he went. I went for a little scout after the morning sit and saw a does tail up in the air, she wasn’t running off just pooing I guess. We had some rain this morning and she was walking away from me so I put a quick stalk on her. I got to about to 40 yards and I came in a little quick and she heard me. She didn’t blow but was looking all over for me. She stood there stomping for about 5 minutes before walking away.

Soon after I found a lot of still fresh and dropping acorns with more sign than I’ve seen in while, so I decided to set up on it. I’m hoping some more come to feed before dark. The Leaves are surprisingly still fairly green here. They may be red oak acorns but they’re fairly large and all that I’ve seen dropping so I think they are feeding on them now.88945CFC-7BF6-4038-8260-AFBA0F28C234.jpeg2DE15D5A-18B8-4CCE-A352-30E8A6C14A92.jpeg

Set up on a fairly limby tree with some small maples to break up my figure. Wind is kind of screwy and I smell like a goat but gonna give it go. Hope to see some does.
D4737CF3-FF21-4AFC-B845-F80CE7B17CAE.jpeg

Had 10 does and yearlings come in 25 mins before last light. They were running around all over the place. They came in in two groups from two different directions so I was trying to watch both groups at the same time. It was some jam packed action! They were within 30-60 yards for 15-20 mins. I just didn’t have one come in close enough.

I just killed the biggest buck of my life… the story is unreal, it’s gonna take me a couple days to do a write up but I will, I’m miles deep and have one sketchy bar of service, an absolute giant, always follow your dreams and never give up my friends.
I’m back fellow hunters, it’s been a long 24 hours, read my story and you will know why! I really enjoyed this thread and hope it’s around next season when I’m back at it sitting in a tree or climbing mountains, I have a long 10 months until next season, good luck to all those still hammering away!

Up in a tree for MDs rifle opener. Just a spike and a basket rack 8 so far

d025a9d6ee3d78421d0fdb2eff28dc09.jpg

7a310dd76a913a3d68e9401a986b7fcd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left my phone this morning so no live from the tree. Bumped a few deer going in but they didn’t blow. Later I Had two fawns and a yearling around my tree at different times. I practiced my draws with the stick bow. Later I got down and scouted and found a white oak that was getting absolutely destroyed, and had scat piles all around. I’m hoping to get back and hunt it soon.

Had my fifth encounter with a nice 8 point this morning. I watched him for over an hour. He was between 50 and 85 yards the whole time, but never gave me a clean shot (rifle season). Headed back out this afternoon with high hopes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D9B6D122-DF24-4893-A113-C62FE6665F96.jpeg
on a part of the property I haven’t pressured much. We see 10+ deer in the corner of the field behind me every night so my main mission is to tag a second doe/deer in one season for the first time ever. I’m super happy to have shot a nice nanny in October. That being said, my family loves venison and grocery stores ain’t exactly dropping prices. Any luck is appreciated!
Bonus: deer loin is salted and ready for the grill when I get down. Let’s replenish those backstraps!
0EF43CB8-129D-476F-B7E5-AF182EAB0548.jpeg

Attachments

• 302135CE-72CC-4CAA-A6CC-C283F328B714.jpeg
    302135CE-72CC-4CAA-A6CC-C283F328B714.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 13
48388B9D-8C89-403D-BB37-AAAC644ACAA5.jpegE0548825-F43D-42B2-82CA-34AA73C491C5.jpeg18AA4068-5A62-43E3-90D9-D3E5039EF4C7.jpeg
5pt came in right before sunset. He got the pass (though I’ll admit I did drool a bit cuz I’m always thinking with my stomach). If I was in a two-buck state or on public land he may have gotten the Easton. I’m on my home property and it’s not late enough in the season to make me desperate or feel too saucy when I know there are still bigger bucks using the property, so he gets to live and blow at me in return for passing him like the little d***head he is. Sometimes I miss the simplicity of shooting the first legal deer that walks by. But I also appreciate the blessing/ability to choose how and when to shoot deer with my bow vs with my camera on my family’s land. A picture of this little man is worth as much as a bite of his tenders or his horns over the fireplace.

Last edited:
Found fresh sign. Didn't think it was the best time of day to hunt it but if It was by far the hottest sign I've found lately. Planking on going back in the morning. Also seen fresh buck droppings and a couple fresh rubs nearby! IMG_20221126_153713.jpg

Not from a saddle but did hunt new-to-me public land today. Walked about 2.5 miles and found alot of fresh sign which was very encouraging. Even better, it was low 50's in late November MN which means I was hunting in the same stuff I was wearing 6 weeks ago.

Nothing happened tonight but the sign tells me they're moving through there. A cold front is pushing through tonight with tomorrow highs 20 degrees colder so I going to the same area before first light with fingers crossed and warmer clothes.

Not from a saddle but did hunt new-to-me public land today. Walked about 2.5 miles and found alot of fresh sign which was very encouraging. Even better, it was low 50's in late November MN which means I was hunting in the same stuff I was wearing 6 weeks ago.

Nothing happened tonight but the sign tells me they're moving through there. A cold front is pushing through tonight with tomorrow highs 20 degrees colder so I going to the same area before first light with fingers crossed and warmer clothes.
Best of luck to you!! Sounds like a pretty good spot to be in!

Unfortunately, unless I find a spot worth spending multiple days in, anything I get will earn zero points for my team as I'm still hunting this land and scouting for next year.

On the plus side, if I do get something I'll finally blood my Hawkens that I built 17 years ago.

Unfortunately, unless I find a spot worth spending multiple days in, anything I get will earn zero points for my team as I'm still hunting this land and scouting for next year.

On the plus side, if I do get something I'll finally blood my Hawkens that I built 17 years ago.

I, for one, would love to hear that story 17 years in the making!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back