• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

help me decide deer rifle and caliber: 6.5 CrMo vs 270 Win and savage storm lightweight vs tikka t3x superlite

which rifle of the 4 below? details in post

• savage lightweight storm in 270 Winchester (5.8 lbs, 20 inch barrel)

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • savage lightweight storm in 6.5 Creedmoor (5.6 lbs, 20 inch barrel)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Tikka T3X Superlite in 270 Winchester (6 lbs, 22 inch barrel)

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor (6 lbs, 24 inch barrel)

Votes: 23 37.1%

• Total voters
Savage rifles have always been shooters, the action is meh, the accutrigger with the blade thing is a gimmick, don’t overlook Browning either, great rifles out of the box.

Modern Savage rifles are known to be quite accurate.

If you don't have a bunch of Cabelas rewards I'd shop on that price.

I see a perfectly nice Tikka T3x Lite Compact (20" barrel) in 6.5 for $650.

The only 2 places that sell the Tikka Superlite (I believe) is Cabelas with a camo stock and Sportsman's Warehouse with the black stock. I recall they were made for those companies.

I'd probably get the black one as I recall Sportsman's price is a little better.

There probably won't be any deals at those box store, but with the slightly heavier Tikka I could shop around. The local pawn shop orders new guns for me and they used to cut 100 to 200 off the MSRP.

They shoot better than they should for the price point, lots of plastic on them though I’m not a fan personally, a great rifle at a mass produced price, for people wanting something that shoots good and easy to get Tikkas win.

They have replaced some of the plastic on newer models, (minus stock, lol). But there is aftermarket replacements for about everything.

Savage rifles have always been shooters, the action is meh, the accutrigger with the blade thing is a gimmick, don’t overlook Browning either, great rifles out of the box.

I'm actually now pondering that Barrett you linked.

It seems like something I would buy and want to keep and hunt with the rest of my days.

They have replaced some of the plastic on newer models, (minus stock, lol). But there is aftermarket replacements for about everything.
Yes and after you buy that stuff your into a bigger category of rifles to choose from, price point.

yeah...just by reputation they kinda remind me of one of these tuned up Honda Civics where somebody figured out how to add 10K to a 20K vehicle and almost keep up with a new Vette.....

Didn’t you have a friend or relative that worked for Melvin Forbes? Call him and see what’s hiding in the closet locally, if you find 2 send me a PM lmao.

fb25df637d060969f75fc8ad35fb7a32.jpg

I don’t know much about rifles either but I’ve been shooting this model 700 7mm 08 my whole life. Outside of a couple year stretch when I was in highschool punching the trigger like crazy she’s been great to me. I’m going to upgrade the glass to the viper HS 2.5-10 at some point but the ol redfield 5 star has worked well for the most part. It was my grandads then my dads and now my rifle. I’m shooting 139g hornady whitetail special and haven’t had a problem with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and after you buy that stuff your into a bigger category of rifles to choose from, price point.

I agree. The upside is you get into a shooter at about $600 and over time you build it out. Or buy once cry once go in on an even better rifle from the get go.

The only 2 places that sell the Tikka Superlite (I believe) is Cabelas with a camo stock and Sportsman's Warehouse with the black stock. I recall they were made for those companies.

I'd probably get the black one as I recall Sportsman's price is a little better.

There probably won't be any deals at those box store, but with the slightly heavier Tikka I could shop around. The local pawn shop orders new guns for me and they used to cut 100 to 200 off the MSRP.

I don’t know much about rifles either but I’ve been shooting this model 700 7mm 08 my whole life. Outside of a couple year stretch when I was in highschool punching the trigger like crazy she’s been great to me. I’m going to upgrade the glass to the viper HS 2.5-10 at some point but the ol redfield 5 star has worked well for the most part. It was my grandads then my dads and now my rifle. I’m shooting 139g hornady whitetail special and haven’t had a problem with it yet.

She’s a beaut Clark and never get rid of that rifle, made when Remington had pride.

Didn’t you have a friend or relative that worked for Melvin Forbes? Call him and see what’s hiding in the closet locally, if you find 2 send me a PM lmao.

good memory! it was my first cousin and he sadly passed away (RIP).....he worked at a machine shop that made the actions for Melvin at least at one time....very smart guy and a great shop....I wasn't plugged into Ultralight Arms at that time, so I didn't question him to get all the details

Hopefully Remington turns around....you have a great gun there.

Same thing happened to Gibson guitars. How much of a dingle berry do you have to be to screw up Remington Arms OR Gibson Les Pauls ?!?!?!

good memory! it was my first cousin and he sadly passed away (RIP).....he worked at a machine shop that made the actions for Melvin at least at one time....very smart guy and a great shop....I wasn't plugged into Ultralight Arms at that time, so I didn't question him to get all the details
The Barrett Fieldcraft is a direct copy of Melvins stuff, they actually just bought out the rights to NULA, his shop is still open though for service work, I’m sending in some work today lol.

what makes you such a fan? primarily short action?

Short action is big.

Readily available factory ammo and loading components esp 308.

Versatile loads for anything from varmints up to heavier game.

I shoot a .270 and I'm not a big rifle hunter, primarily bow, but if I had to do it over again I'd get a .308.

Anyone play with the Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0?

Short action is big.

Readily available factory ammo and loading components esp 308.

Versatile loads for anything from varmints up to heavier game.

I shoot a .270 and I'm not a big rifle hunter, primarily bow, but if I had to do it over again I'd get a .308.

This year cruising the box stores.....all the loaded ammo around here on the shelf near deer season were......308, 223, 6.5 CM, 6 CM (to my surprise), and 350 bushmaster

Having said that, i'll probably start handloading once primers start to become more available again....in 2020 i almost pulled the trigger on a starter setup but stopped when i realized how tough getting components might be

Coming from a person whose owned every niche caliber known to man, the latest craze if you will, the .308 Winchester hands down is the most versatile, respected caliber ever created in my opinion, a do all caliber that shines at just about everything, super easy to reload for, components are always available, maybe it’s not cool enough for the flat brim crowd but I’m here to tell you if I were to pick one caliber for a rifle that would be my forever gun it would be in .308.

Back