• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Zip tie stopper on shock cord

If you simply squeeze a zip tie down on shock cord, you can slide the cord through the tie by stretching that section of cord and reducing its diameter. Only way I know this is my Recon belt is lapped cord, zip tied, and it holds.

@Allegheny Tom

Where you at!

Didn’t you have some way to use a zip tie on shock cord to create a stopper that could be moved?

Thanks!
Yep. Zip ties are the cat's arse on shock cord. It's a matter of how tight you zip the tie. If you pull it super tight, it locks on and won't move. But if you zip them click-by-click, you will find just the right spot that the zip tie can slide when the cord is stretched but it cinches tight when the cord is relaxed. Hope I explained that clearly. I don't cut the tag-end of the zip tie until I've tested it a little to insure that it's the right tightness. And as always, I'm so anal about some things. I ALWAYS smooth the cut end of a zip tie with some sandpaper because the sharp cut can snag gear and clothing which can make noise (always at just the wrong time!) or it can snag some clothing fibers and cause some damage. It's one thing that I do when I rig my milkweed pods...always smooth the snipped end of a zip tie. Details might not make a difference 99/100 times but that other time can be a Bi+ch.
I've found that the smaller zip ties seem to work better than a wide one because the narrow tie bites-in to the cord where as a wider zip may tend to slide when not intended. And I've only used this method on cord up to 3/16" (I think) and quality marine grade 2:1 stretch ratio. Not sure how well the method will work on large diameter or junk shock cord.

Last edited:
I have literally hundreds of things set up with zip ties and shock cord since [mention]Allegheny Tom [/mention] showed how to make a belt for the Recon. Anywhere that I used to use a rubber band or Ranger band I now use this method. BTW, the it is perfect for that Recon belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have a recommendation for a source for the bigger diameter cord?
Sgt Knots is what I've always used. They advertise it as "military grade" whatever that means, they call it marine grade, too.Not sure if those are just buzz words or if they are actually higher quality, but the stuff that I've bought from them has been terrific...Zero complaints. It looks like they have more choices than Paracord Planet.
Sgt Knots has a variety of sheath/cover materials. They even sell dyneema bungee.
Sgt Knots is also on Amazon.

I'll need to get more pics of stuff and resize them but here's one use. The tightness of that bungee is adjustable. A step can be made semi snug so it's position on the strap/tree can be adjusted and the bungee can be made rock-solid tight so it cannot slide on the strap. Just one of tons of applications for bungee-zips. I'll post more later.
20190910_170124.jpg

Use one on a Treehopper drill. It'll keep the sharp tip of the bit from ever poking thru a pocket or pack and the loop becomes a little hanging strap if you need it while climbing. Just hang it off the last bolt if you need both hands free for something.
More pics later.....

20221207_135025.jpg20190316_201543.jpg

Last edited:
Back