• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

help me decide deer rifle and caliber: 6.5 CrMo vs 270 Win and savage storm lightweight vs tikka t3x superlite

which rifle of the 4 below? details in post

• savage lightweight storm in 270 Winchester (5.8 lbs, 20 inch barrel)

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • savage lightweight storm in 6.5 Creedmoor (5.6 lbs, 20 inch barrel)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Tikka T3X Superlite in 270 Winchester (6 lbs, 22 inch barrel)

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor (6 lbs, 24 inch barrel)

Votes: 23 37.1%

• Total voters
Yep, that's the same trigger the Bergara Premier 2.0 uses.

I'd love to hear about your break in process. You shoot a lot and I'm sure have it down. I've read a fair bit on the topic and it's interesting that there are a few wildly different approaches by experts in long range shooting and riflemaking. Would be a good thread to start (or continue if it already exists).
Plebe I follow whatever the manufacturer calls for in the book, each is different, I use bore guides with the correct rods and attachments, I have a huge box of stuff I have to sort through every time I clean a rifle but it’s done right at least. That being said I don’t buy many new rifles, most of mine are used, I have one rifle I have to fire form brass for, now that is a project, a 416 Hoffman.

I have never held a Fieldcraft, I would think the build quality would be better than a Christensen, off reputation alone, I’m not sure you can even find a Filedcraft anymore, every time I found one @TK161BOONER brother was on top it, no joke, they both have them, I have the Forbes Rifle, another mass produced copy of Melvins NULA rifle, Melvin produced the finest lightweight mountain rifles ever known to man imo, I’m sure some would disagree but he was ahead of his time and I owned a couple and they all were shooters. Melvin Forbes first run was ULA rifles, full custom, then he he tried to mass produce them at an affordable price through another company, those were called the Colt Light Rifle, it didn’t work, QC problems and whatever ended the deal, so then Melvin started back up under NULA, New Ultra Light Arms, once again full custom big $$$, once again an attempt was made to mass produce his rifle, it was called the Forbes rifle, made at a different facility to meet a cheaper price point, and like earlier it failed, QC problems and whatever else, so back to NULA for one at a time full customs big $$, somehow after all the attempts at mass producing his one of a kind rifles Barrett got involved and the Fieldcraft was born, another clone… this time it worked, and for whatever reason Barrett pulled the plug on the Fieldcraft, some say military contracts.. who knows… but like everything that is good but no longer made the price went ballistic and good luck even finding one, no joke.. and just this spring Melvin sold NULA to Barrett for good, so it’s over, I have no idea what Barrett will do, maybe they are making them again I have no idea, everything written above could be off a bit but you get the idea of what transpired, his shop is still open I called the other day, they service rifles already produced and in customers hands. Every rifle made that was a clone of the original NULA customs, all the copies, if there was any problem Melvin took care of it at his shop, I sent mine in for some work right after I bought it, simple stuff LOP change and new paint. The Fieldcraft would be looked at by Barrett would be my assumption, if by chance there was an issue. When those clones were being dumped for cheap prices people were gobbling them up and sending them back to his shop for the full treatment and getting almost full custom rifles back at a cheaper price, I owned both, a Forbes and the real deal NULA rifle, I honestly couldn’t tell much of a difference. I have a Christensen Arms here for my son, Mesa, it’s nice, I haven’t messed with it much, the internet is full of horror stories about Christensen Arms, I don’t know what to tell you on that ours is nice, my buddy bought the new FFT model in a Ridgeline, 7/08, he loves it. Basically with any of these premium off the shelf rifles your getting a semi custom gun at a mass produced price. What makes a full custom better? Well the action will be smooth, it mite shoot 1/2” groups versus 1”, maybe… the fit and finish should be better, maybe…. I say all of this because I’ve owned all of this stuff and to make it real simple probably none of it is worth it, snob appeal is why most folks have $5k rifles, a $300 Savage Axis still kills deer dead, like everything deciding what is most important to you is what matters most, in my opinion I try to find a happy medium, I like nice stuff but realize all the fluff of a full custom super expensive rig doesn’t appeal to me, a nice semi custom or premium ready to go rifle is what I like. Remington 700 rifles made in the late 90’s and before are about as slick as it gets, the actions are smooth. I never paid retail on any of the full customs I owned, all were screaming deals or I wouldn’t have bought them, most went down the road, I’m a lefty and hunt the internet auction sites like a beast, deals can be had trust me. It all depends on what you want, there is no end to this stuff, I’ve been chasing it my whole life, for a lightweight, ready to go mountain rifle IMO the Fieldcraft would be hard to beat, but they are gone… if you find one buy it.. next up would be the Christensen Arms FFT, that’s my opinion, for a premium, off the shelf lightweight mountain rifle in that sub $1,500 price, people are going to scream Tikka, I understand, they shoot and are affordable, talk to any serious gun nut and ask how many Tikka’s they own, buying a long action with some stupid blocker thingy to make it a short action is non starter for me, I hate lots of plastic on my rifles in places metal should be… Just my opinion.. I’m glad everybody likes their Tikka’s so don’t hammer me too bad lol.

thanks, i assumed the barrett was still being made

Savage with short barrel in 308 if you don't hand load. Get the 6.5 if you do hand load and want to tinker.

Even the classic calibers have been scarce around here lately. I haven't seen a box of 270, 30-06, or 30-30 in a year. Lots of 308 though.

Get the light gun and short barrel. You carry it 99% of the time and only shoot it 1% of the time. I've got 2 light rifles with short actions and short barrels and one big long 30-06 with a 24" barrel. I haven't hunted with the 06 in years.

308 in a light gun is tough to beat. Easy to handle, easy to carry, and packs a punch........ Says the guy who is writing this from the tree while hunting with a 6.5 pistol. :D :D :D

Savage with short barrel in 308 if you don't hand load. Get the 6.5 if you do hand load and want to tinker.

Even the classic calibers have been scarce around here lately. I haven't seen a box of 270, 30-06, or 30-30 in a year. Lots of 308 though.

Get the light gun and short barrel. You carry it 99% of the time and only shoot it 1% of the time. I've got 2 light rifles with short actions and short barrels and one big long 30-06 with a 24" barrel. I haven't hunted with the 06 in years.

308 in a light gun is tough to beat. Easy to handle, easy to carry, and packs a punch........ Says the guy who is writing this from the tree while hunting with a 6.5 pistol. :D :D :D

that encore/contender is in 6.5 creedmoor?

I agree. The upside is you get into a shooter at about $600 and over time you build it out. Or buy once cry once go in on an even better rifle from the get go.

Having been down that road many times (starting with a decent gun and building it out) I think there's 2 basic paths. If doing it with a factory action (700, Tikka, Savage, etc) don't spend a ton of money on upgrades cause at the end of the day it's still built on a factory action and the value reflects it. If a person has a higher budget for upgrades then start with a high quality action whether it's a higher end factory rifle like the Barrett or one of the many aftermarket actions. And I agree with topdog, look used, guys throw all kinds of money at building rifles and 6 months later they're dumping it for the next project. And for the reloader or maybe non-reloader too if they plan to ditch the barrel, wildcat chamberings can be a real bargain for a donor rifle cause they drastically limit the potential buyer market. Most shooters don't reload and most reloaders don't wildcat so that can work to your advantage

I was close to getting the Tikka several years ago when looking for a rifle but after researching and comparing I went another route. Nobody’s mentioned it yet but I absolutely love my Howa. Guaranteed minute of angle from the factory and with a tupperware stock, it shoots holes that touch. It has a 3 lug bolt and the angle makes it quicker to cycle because you don’t have to move as far. Japanese made, but they are allies right?

I've never shot one but I like their mini actions, in 6.5 Grendel I bet that's a hoot

That’s what I’d vote and what I want! Grendel is just slower than Creedmore and that mini action is supposed to be awesome. Already works great on deer for me in an AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was close to getting the Tikka several years ago when looking for a rifle but after researching and comparing I went another route. Nobody’s mentioned it yet but I absolutely love my Howa. Guaranteed minute of angle from the factory and with a tupperware stock, it shoots holes that touch. It has a 3 lug bolt and the angle makes it quicker to cycle because you don’t have to move as far. Japanese made, but they are allies right?
Howa superlite 308 or 6.5. 4pounds 7oz. I don't own 1 but would like to. Expensive

Back