• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Water storage

Weldabeast

SH Member
Waters heavy and that sux.... Bottle? Bladder? Pouch?

I haven't/can't decide the best kind of water storage. Bladder adds weight to the shoulders, can be a little cumbersome to refill, and easier to forget to refill. Bottle adds weight that usually makes the load feel lopsided, noise potential, and noticable felt/heard slosh when walking

I'm kinda thinking small platypus style pouches so u can disperse that water weight evenly might be the ticket. 2-4 small pouches vs 1 larger bottle vs 1 large bladder.

My norma/current way is the 32oz bottle filled up and dano fleece pouch to hold to the left kidney area on my vest. I can reach it without taking my vest off and retrieve with 1 hand. When it's cold outside I won't fill the bottle up but maybe half - 3/4.

And I guess I nip that crap in the bud about not carrying water or only needing .0007oz for all day. I'm in the south and I'm real active the way I hunt....camels need not respond. I can drain that 32oz by lunch early season

Another negative with the bladder is no way to easily tell if it's about to be empty without having to take something off or unzip or open something. I've run out of water way more often with a bladder vs bottle

Get you one of those water filtration straws. Plenty of water all around you. No need to carry it.

Good points. I’ve tried several methods.

I don’t worry too much about it while carrying. I mainly consider how it is when in a tree.

That said, I ran a bladder for a while. Easy to access in the tree, with small movements and can be put down easily if needed (just put the hose down). It doesn’t clank or make any noise. Up here your hose can freeze so you need a sleeve in it. Bladders can leak and before you realize all your stuff is wet. So there is that.

Moved towards a fanny pack so a bladder didn’t make as much sense. I have been using silicone bottles because they’re quiet and can be shoved pretty much anywhere. Pretty durable too. Some of them you can suck the water out like a juice box so takes a bit less movement.

Good points. I’ve tried several methods.

I don’t worry too much about it while carrying. I mainly consider how it is when in a tree.

That said, I ran a bladder for a while. Easy to access in the tree, with small movements and can be put down easily if needed (just put the hose down). It doesn’t clank or make any noise. Up here your hose can freeze so you need a sleeve in it. Bladders can leak and before you realize all your stuff is wet. So there is that.

Moved towards a fanny pack so a bladder didn’t make as much sense. I have been using silicone bottles because they’re quiet and can be shoved pretty much anywhere. Pretty durable too. Some of them you can suck the water out like a juice box so takes a bit less movement.
Which style silicone?.what size?

U guys and ur Amazon links....I hate clicking those and avoid at all cost

Hahahah

Like a platypus style I assume?

U guys and ur Amazon links....I hate clicking those and avoid at all cost

Hahahah

Like a platypus style I assume?

Haha I hear ya…

Attachments

• 7509AFE7-4C6A-4390-9A32-EA02E56BA334.jpg
    7509AFE7-4C6A-4390-9A32-EA02E56BA334.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 20
  • 34DB0094-0D60-4AAD-B9E0-C0225F7BA6DC.jpg
    34DB0094-0D60-4AAD-B9E0-C0225F7BA6DC.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 20
I used a floppy Platypus bottle a few times. It’s great if it fits in fanny pack. I used it in early season in DE when I drink liter(s) per hunt, so mine was too small at 1L. Now I live in OH but early Oct can still warrant drinking 1-2L in a sit. More if I am putting up a new stand. I could see how it’s better for cold months, May try to run one in my bladder sleeve with a hand-muff or extra fleece around it so it doesn’t freeze on me.

Just jokin, dont get your hackles up. I've seen guys get sick drinking from an ice cold trickle in Colorado. Never know what critter peed in it above you.
Slightly off topic but I was on a mule deer hunt several years ago and the wife and I were camping on a nice little trickle of a stream during an unusually dry fall. I carry some water but filter/uv the rest from a source we find. This was before cell apps and handy digital aerial maps were really a thing so we just explored the areas once we got there.
We decided to hike upstream a few miles to find the source (assuming a spring) since these marshy areas usually will hold a few deer.
Our spring ended up being a small cattle feedlot and our trickle of a stream was runoff from the feedlot.
The filter and uv pen did their job since we never got sick and made for a memorable experience.

Back