• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Did I get bamboozled?

I take my deer to a very well regarded processor in my area - he is a little expensive but I think I usually get about 50% of my deer's dressed weight back in finished, packaged product.

I could be wrong though.

not saying you were bamboozled, but its worth noting that some game processors, especially ones that process alot of deer, will process all of the meat together and then give you what they calculate you should get back...meaning you get your deer and probably 2 other peoples deer and maybe you get more, maybe you get less. IMO its worth doing it yourself for the peace of mind and it doesnt hurt that it saves $$ as well.

Heck im usually happy getting 30# of deer that i process. I dont mess with ribs, or other parts that are as thin as thick cut bacon. Just not worth the hastle trying to get the fat off the meat. Necks on does aren't worth the effort most times, even when they are worth it, half of ends up clogging the grinder plate/cutting knife.

You'll never know id you got taken or not if you arent there to watch.

Heck im usually happy getting 30# of deer that i process. I dont mess with ribs, or other parts that are as thin as thick cut bacon. Just not worth the hastle trying to get the fat off the meat. Necks on does aren't worth the effort most times, even when they are worth it, half of ends up clogging the grinder plate/cutting knife.

You'll never know id you got taken or not if you arent there to watch.
You need a better grinder.

Prolly not too far off. Even if you use a processor, I would recommend quartering the deer, peel the backstraps and tenderloins out yourself as well as the neck roast or neck meat if you want it ground. You can easily cut those up into thirds or whatever you like and suck them down with a vaccum sealer. Then you hand the processor the shoulders, the hams and the neck meat if you want it ground. Where I’m from they charge by the whole carcass weight, so you can save a ton and have a much better idea of how many pounds of meat you should get back. Enjoy the meat!

Ive got a 1hp grinder. The sinews in the neck are rough if you dont trim em enough. Or too warm. More of a cleaning issue but smaller grinders have issues
I’ve got this grinder and have never had a clog. I’m only reasonable good about meat prep.
C9C10CCE-68D8-4AB6-A98D-93CB5AFA1E26.png

Ive got a 1hp grinder. The sinews in the neck are rough if you dont trim em enough. Or too warm. More of a cleaning issue but smaller grinders have issues
I usually grind nearly-frozen meat with the largest plate I have, then mix and run it through again. But the really sinewy stuff in the shanks and neck I usually braise instead of grinding.

Back