• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Camo is not unnecessary

Its the 80/20 rule. Most deer you won't need it but theres a few that do. The question is do you care about the 20% or not?

If the 20% is filled with mature bucks that have learn to survived the seasons, then yes!

I understand that you don't NEED camo, but does camo hurt your chances?

If camo increase my odds just 1%, I dont see why not. That's one of the thing about Jason's video I disagreed with, he used a stationary shirt as example. I DMed him saying that he needs to do the same experience with movement, but he only replied back with his 'hunting resume' basically and saying the outcome would not change. Wearing a camo pattern suited for your back drop will hide movement, especially when you are drawing a bow. I dont have as much experience as most here, but if just wearing camo give me just a little bit of confident, I will keep doing it.

Last edited:
Calling @BCHunter, he proved a point by wearing a blue onesie while hunting. The whole thread is worth a read if you haven't went down the rabbithole in the past. It's definitely a thing on the site that is brought up regularly:

The deer is brown. The rabbit is brown the coyote is brown. It’s not by happenstance the animals we chase are not covered in realtree. U don’t have to over think it nature is giving us the answer.
"Brown" is a bit of an oversimplification of the colors present in the hair and fur on game animals. They are largely brown, but it is a couple different shades of brown with flecks of black and tan and even white mixed in. If you look closely at a deers hair you can see what I'm talking about. It's really a high res version of flecktarn.
1670352715595.png

Calling @BCHunter, he proved a point by wearing a blue onesie while hunting. The whole thread is worth a read if you haven't went down the rabbithole in the past. It's definitely a thing on the site that is brought up regularly:

Be a Timberpimp, not a Timbersimp... :tearsofjoy:

Are the solid colors to let y’all use your $1000 jumpers for more than just hunting? Or just because too many kooks like me are limbering around with new camo / one sticks / hybrids, stickbows and 500$ packs
It’s getting hard to keep up around here ;)

Are the solid colors to let y’all use your $1000 jumpers for more than just hunting? Or just because too many kooks like me are limbering around with new camo / one sticks / hybrids, stickbows and 500$ packs
It’s getting hard to keep up around here ;)
* lumbering around. limbering sounds fun tho

I have expensive camo and cheap camo and I have moved to comfortable and warm layers covered by a leafy top, sometimes bottom. I play the wind like we all should, you can’t beat a deers nose. My leafy suit was about $30 on Amazon and deer don’t care what is under it… however I wouldn’t be caught dead without camo underwear… that’s a game changer.
Bro. Hunt commando. That's a game changer.

I am a firm believer in wearing camo. That is primarily because the fit function and durability I want from hunting clothes is easiest found in camo clothes. I likely wont be all matching but in camo. This past weekend for instance, sitka mountain pants in open country pattern, FL merino top in cipher and nat gear fleece windproof vest.

I own it and wear it for no particular reason other than it's what I have. When searching for new stuff, camo or not is irrelevant to me. My favorite stuff I have is almost all non camo.... military surplus has highest quality to price ratio and sometimes it's camo and sometimes it isn't.....if I was to know what I know now back then I would have just bought surplus layer system and a leaf suit

Another thing to consider is most of us are hunting elevated. That is a huge leg up imo. I ground hunted for a lot of years and I think camo helped more in that situation. I always cover my face and hands too. I never understood spending hundreds on a camo pattern and then not covering your face or hands.

"Brown" is a bit of an oversimplification of the colors present in the hair and fur on game animals. They are largely brown, but it is a couple different shades of brown with flecks of black and tan and even white mixed in. If you look closely at a deers hair you can see what I'm talking about. It's really a high res version of flecktarn.
View attachment 77568
Now we’re just splitting hairs :)

Another thing to consider is most of us are hunting elevated. That is a huge leg up imo. I ground hunted for a lot of years and I think camo helped more in that situation. I always cover my face and hands too. I never understood spending hundreds on a camo pattern and then not covering your face or hands.

ah good point I am a ground pounder so why i think differently I guess. I did find a leafy jacket when inthe saddle fooled a lot of deer. Cause of my angling out maybe looked like a limb

Bro. Hunt commando. That's a game changer.
I don’t like to wash my hunting cloths to often during the season…. Going commando would change my preping tactics to drastically. Besides… then I would have to practice shooting my bow commando to make sure the flight of my arrow doesn’t change and my shooting partners might not like that under my mesh leafy suit pants…

Back