• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best bow strings

Wilgabeast

What do you guys prefer for strings ? I think I’m gonna go with abb . But open to suggestions

I had mine made out of BCY X99. 454 is popular.

Following. Also, how often do you think you should swap out your string. My Mathews was new in 2020 so is there any good reason to swap it out? It looks to be in good condition.

I’ve found that price-point is really the thing with strings. If you find strings that are all within the same $10-15 range, they’re probably all quite similar to the point of being interchangeable. I have had stock Bowtech, stock PSE, Winner’s Choice, ABB, and now I shoot Lancaster Archery’s top-tier strings because they are a little cheaper when you take your bow right to them and get them to switch it for you. I definitely don’t skimp on string price though. I’m always either top-tier or just below. I only want to have to change my string when I actually have to, at the most every 2 years, and if I can help it no less than 4 years.

I was just researching this topic and ordered a set of GAS strings. I like the idea of a low wax string from the start and the thermal stabilization they are using with the Freakshow line seems interesting. They toute a 5-10 shot settling in time to ensure zero peep rotation.

I also found out they offer a 25% military discount.

Following. Also, how often do you think you should swap out your string. My Mathews was new in 2020 so is there any good reason to swap it out? It looks to be in good condition.
I’ve heard every thousand arrows, every two thousand, every two years, blah blah blah. I won’t go less than 2 years with a quality string (I don’t shoot a whole lot anymore, maybe ten arrows a week on a heavy week), even when I did shoot a hundred arrows a week or more. Now I like my strings to last 4 years minimum if I can. My Lancasters have been on since 2019, very little wear and tear.

You will get a million opinions on this one!
I like Mike at catfish custom strings. Good dude and he makes whatever you want and it’s usually at my house within a week
It’s a Ford, Chevy, Dodge type of question. I say Toyota!

I agree Catfish and Toyota.

I just put my catfish string and cables on last Sunday. I am very impressed. The ata was dead on and the cams were a half turn off of perfect timing right out of the bag! I can’t say that about my last set from another string maker.

Last edited:
John’s Custom Archery

Breathn on AT

Only strings I will buy.

1/2 the price of ABB and 10 times better

Only if it is fraying or you’re experiencing serving separation. I’ve had strings and cables on bows for years with light to moderate shooting they last decades. That being said, I also keep
mine well waxed. I am intrigued by the makers using the new bloodline fibers like outbound archery. I don’t have any personally that I’ve tried but I’m reading very positive things about the fibers and the string maker.

I’m a catfish customs but they’re a bunch of good ones. Threadz, A3, park n sons, crackers, gas and a host of others.

Back