• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

School me on rain gear

This sort of confirms my suspicion that a day forecast to be a nonstop light to moderate steady rain will keep a lot of folks out of the woods. During certain times of the season it makes sense to me to be out. The Pre rut and rut are these times when hunter numbers are up, and bucks are moving.

For instance. I usually don't hunt weekends or holidays on public due to increased pressure from other hunters, especially once gun season starts. If I had a Saturday or Sunday and it was forecast to be a light to moderate rain from dark to dark, I might go out and sit some good spots if I felt the bucks might be on their feet and I had the right gear.

Wait....are you guys saying there is other wether?.
6 of the next 7 days have rain forecasted. 2 weeks ago our lows were in the 20's and highs in the 40's. The next 3 days our highs will be in the low to mid 70's. So we will be going from almost our coldest type weather to breaking out the thermacell's again, IN DECEMBER.

I picked this jacket up off ebay the other day for a good price. I got it in yesterday and was thinking if we got a good soaker today, I would try it out. Well, the rain cleared out early so far, so I got impatient and just put it on and got in the shower and turned it on full bore. I would hate to be out in a rain hitting as hard as that shower was blasting. I would not want to be in a tree under those conditions, dry or not. Pretty impressed.
If you can layer under that jacket it is likely the answer you are looking for. wool or fleece under that once you get in the tree should be comfortable down below freezing if it keeps you dry and the wind doesn't cut through it.

6 of the next 7 days have rain forecasted. 2 weeks ago our lows were in the 20's and highs in the 40's. The next 3 days our highs will be in the low to mid 70's. So we will be going from almost our coldest type weather to breaking out the thermacell's again, IN DECEMBER.
You must live near me lol

I have the scent lok rain gear and it’s just ok. My best luck of staying dry has always been with a milspec poncho and a tree umbrella. If it’s going to be absolutely pouring I wear a vinyl poncho like the 10 dollar Walmart ones that come folded up in a little square. Yes they’re noisy as all hell but if it’s raining that bad no deer will really pick upon it from my experiences

I always preferred Cabelas MT050 goretex. I never had it fail to keep me dry. I also have the Kuiu and it works well but is a bit noisier.

Yeah, we have the same weather. It is 74 degrees here according to the phone. One of those muggy days where the concrete carport sweats. I set out all day yesterday and saw 2 does, both at 30 yards...bit too far and not a good angle. That was 11:45 AM near a primary scrape. I wore rain gear and didn't need it. It lightly spritzed a few times. Most of the rain was north. I got home and the moon was dead overhead and full. I thought those crazy things will be up moving all night and lay up all day.

If you can layer under that jacket it is likely the answer you are looking for. wool or fleece under that once you get in the tree should be comfortable down below freezing if it keeps you dry and the wind doesn't cut through it.
I put on a fleece vest to see if it would work and it did, so some layering is possible. It is a small though. That said, around here it is generally either clear and cold or warm and rainy, like it is now. It's 74 degrees here and very humid.

I have a question about this jacket I bought. It has a paraffin wax smell. I washed it twice in scent free laundry detergent and hung it outside all day to air dry. It is not as bad as when I got it, but it still has that paraffin smell. Since this is my first Rivers West rain jacket I was wondering if this was a one-off stinky jacket or is this a normal thing that will dissipate?

I always preferred Cabelas MT050 goretex. I never had it fail to keep me dry. I also have the Kuiu and it works well but is a bit noisier.

I just picked up the MT050 pants yesterday. They feel like they are good quality. I like the suspenders. I’ve had issues with my saddle pulling my pants down and haven’t been totally satisfied with any of the 3 or 10 sets of bibs I’ve tried over the years.

I just picked up the MT050 pants yesterday. They feel like they are good quality. I like the suspenders. I’ve had issues with my saddle pulling my pants down and haven’t been totally satisfied with any of the 3 or 10 sets of bibs I’ve tried over the years.
I agree, and only wear bibs for cold weather ground hunting.

Well, I got out yesterday and set up while it was sleeting and soon the sleet turned into a steady cold rain. I wore my new Rivers West jacket over some base layers, and it was very nice. I sat from about 10ish until past dark. It rained until about 20 minutes before dark. The jacket kept me dry and was 100% wind proof.

I wore a Drake waterfowl Boonie hat on top of a small toboggan on my head. It was a nice hunt, and I saw a doe at 9 yards and a buck off in the thick pines at about 60 yards. I hoped he would follow that doe but no such luck. So far, I'm really liking the rain gear and I plan to start really incorporating rain hunting into my tactics from here on out.

I'm thinking I need some better rain pants so I will be on the lookout. The ones I have now are just pull over but I would like to get some with pockets.

Attachments

• Rainy day 1.jpg
    Rainy day 1.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 18
Back