• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Option for climbing platform

Why can’t you do that simple modification to this stand. That’s my point. The whole point of the thread.

Im not jumping. It’s literally the only thing I said in original post!
I guess what I am saying is without some significant modification and possibly welding I am not sure that you could. Do you have clear photos? The one on the site didn't look like great quality to me and I could get to bigger photos to see more details of the stand.

I guess what I am saying is without some significant modification and possibly welding I am not sure that you could. Do you have clear photos? The one on the site didn't look like great quality to me and I could get to bigger photos to see more details of the stand.

What I had in mind is cutting the arms down to length to match where they’d end on a summit or lone wolf, or barren ridge.

Then modify end of arms to do whatever is needed to accept cams or stops for cables. Tubing inside of tubing is easy and can be bolted and doesn’t require welding.

Only thing I see possibly being difficult(relatively) is if the current supports can’t manage the side load generated by the cable or belt. If so, that’s an easy bolt on.

The hard bar wraparound design sucks, cables or belts are the answer.

In many respects I agree. The original lone wolf climbing stands had a hard bar design and they changed to the farm equipment belts (or whatever they are), which saved weight and bulk. Could climb bigger trees as well.

But, there were a few reports of cables failing. That never happened to the other guy.

Also, hard bar makes for an easy climb.

Not that I'm complaining.

99F172A9-15DC-4C66-847F-A31A23D5CD9E.jpeg

What I had in mind is cutting the arms down to length to match where they’d end on a summit or lone wolf, or barren ridge.

Then modify end of arms to do whatever is needed to accept cams or stops for cables. Tubing inside of tubing is easy and can be bolted and doesn’t require welding.

Only thing I see possibly being difficult(relatively) is if the current supports can’t manage the side load generated by the cable or belt. If so, that’s an easy bolt on.
In that case, then yes, that is what I think it would require as well. I think it would be more of a pain to do. I tend to underestimate projects and then get annoyed when they take a lot more effort than I was originally expecting. I was just trying to manage expectations lol

In that case, then yes, that is what I think it would require as well. I think it would be more of a pain to do. I tend to underestimate projects and then get annoyed when they take a lot more effort than I was originally expecting. I was just trying to manage expectations lol
In many respects I agree. The original lone wolf climbing stands had a hard bar design and they changed to the farm equipment belts (or whatever they are). Saves weight and bulk.

But, there were a few reports of cables failing. That never happened to the other guy.

Also, hard bar makes for an easy climb.

Not that I'm complaining.

View attachment 77643

Unbolt “arm and support” section of lone wolf.

Bolt to this new thing I’m discussing modifying.

Saddle friendly climbing platform.

Expensive, yes, time consuming, yes.

But I’d imagine the crossbreed is something close to what everyone is looking for.

If we’re cutting & modding. I would think the original Ol’man bottom fits the bill. Shorten the length & move the cable arms up. 71D8A142-B043-4D52-9C9C-E0B79A904D71.jpeg

So it seems we've got a capable man with a plan! Let us know how it works out

If we’re cutting & modding. I would think the original Ol’man bottom fits the bill. Shorten the length & move the cable arms up. View attachment 77644

I watch marketplace for an ole man every day. I’m going to have to give in for planted pine. I hate it but it’s coming.

Also, barren ridge could make all this moot. They can take 6 hours and build a new jig for their exact platform, but 18-20” wide.

I think you would mess up that platform if you cut it down and tried added a cable to it. The pressure on the side walls of the aluminum tubing caused by the curvature of the cable or belt pulling the arms in will not hold up. I have tried something similar and it tears the tubing out or try to bend the arms in, especially on smaller trees. With the way these are built, the stands arms that straddle the tree are supported by piece that goes behind the trees that connects perpendicular to them. The force is transfered to the rigid back piece which keeps the arms parallel instead of pulling in like what occurs with the cables in certain builds.
I agree. You would need to modify to something more like an Ol'man if you drop the V bar.

Edit: I see I wasnt reading fast enough while trying to eat my lunch. @Cbigbear was on the same thought process.

If we’re cutting & modding. I would think the original Ol’man bottom fits the bill. Shorten the length & move the cable arms up. View attachment 77644
I like the swivel of the arms that allows the oleman to lay flat packed up. I think this is a better design for a packable tree climber platform. I was thinking hack it from the other side though like this. You would need the arms that hold the cable up to decrease in height though to keep the same geometry.1670437261315.png

I agree. You would need to modify to something more like an Ol'man if you drop the V bar.
The ole man support arms being able to swivel means that when youre on smaller trees those arms just rotate in when weighted which gets rid of the cable pulling on the tubes weird. I think it contributes to how rock solid the are as well since it adds to it grabbing the tree. My ole man climber has a straight blade for teeth too. It cuts into the tree bark real well and it doesnt go anywhere.

The ole man support arms being able to swivel means that when youre on smaller trees those arms just rotate in when weighted which gets rid of the cable pulling on the tubes weird. I think it contributes to how rock solid the are as well since it adds to it grabbing the tree. My ole man climber has a straight blade for teeth too. It cuts into the tree bark real well and it doesnt go anywhere.

I wild imagine folks can tolerate width of ol man if it folds flat, and overall length is something more like 20-24”, not 4’. For saddle hunting.

Personally for me, the way I’d use it, the base as is would be fine. But saddle hunter Goldilocks!

Maybe with a post in the middle that comes up and you can attach it to the tree with the stability of a traditional cam over platform?

Someone added a post to their Hand Climber top. I have a picture somewhere. It's a proper deal.

I have a small post on my climbing platform. It had to be cut short due to the cross member. (The XOP variant has a curved support that would accommodate a longer post). I can still "cam" the stand to snug it tight, but the cable is what ultimately holds the stand up. The post is imo nice for securing the stand so it isn't going anywhere on you. But, most of the LWHC folks like it unsecured so they can move around the tree.

I like the cross member. It strengthens the arms. And I rest my feet on it.

A few guys added aluminum tube as a cross member on their LWHC platforms.

3759E762-B970-4B6B-9E12-9DCECF5CA6EA.png741ACC77-A1FE-41CA-892A-58EF53A4FB8E.jpeg
33DCE1A0-9869-4AE9-AC47-33830B4EBC8D.jpeg

Last edited:
I am going to back up on my last thought and pose a question because I think @kyler1945 could be closer to right than I initially thought. on the stand he posted, could you not cut the arms down like he suggested but ditch the cable/belt thought. Here's the question, could you not mount a versa button on each arm and run an amsteel daisy chain through some 1" tubular webbing and help the load situation?

a la @FayetteKong

8E013DA1-5638-42BD-943A-59D2711BAE70.jpegD818E096-EA0E-4423-9F23-69FD99A0B26C.jpeg
4E859F53-3A4E-4ACD-91B3-B296767D6405.jpeg3F797C25-A15F-4BF0-9511-168D4B94FF65.jpeg

It’s a tubular aluminum all bolt and river stand. It’s pretty strong. It’s not as quiet as welded platforms though.

Back