• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Choice For Saddle Hunting

EJohnson

I currently have an Elite Enkore which is 33” A to A and a 6” brace.
Do you tend to go with shorter A to A (28-31) bows with larger brace heights or does it really even matter?

I’m kind of in the market and have 3 bows on each end of the spectrum.
Bowtech CP30 with a 6.75 brace and a PSE Mach 34 with a 7.25” brace. Could also throw the Elite Era which is 31” and a 7.25 brace.
Leaning towards these for the ease of tuning.

No one can really tell you what bow. This is a Chevy vs Ford debate. The best bow is the one you shoot the best. The only rule I think about is keeping the ATA longer than the draw length. There is some wiggle with the mathews bows on that. I wouldn’t worry about anything except your ability to shoot. Good Luck and the Era does look very interesting.

I shot a buck at 7 yards with a 62” longbow while tree stand hunting. The only time I think you have to worry about this is if you hunt in a ground blind a lot. One of my favorite hunting bows was a C4

Guys shoot long bows. I think you will be okay either way. Haven't read a lot on here about guys having problems with lengths. Just saw someone had an issue with the JX3 and a 60"+ long bow I think. But that's a hybrid.

For awhile I used to chase accuracy and preferred longer ATAs, sometimes some side bars. I shoot 29.5” draw and have two bows 32” and 34” ata, have never had issues from the saddle or the JX3 with either. I’m now pretty much convinced whitetail is a short shot game, and not sure the added accuracy is needed for 30 yards and in, so maybe a shorter bow would be fine, maybe better a little less to manage, brush bust with, more compact. I do find myself picking up the shorter bow more often. Long story short either end of the spectrum is probably fine in the saddle and past that it comes down to your accuracy vs gear weight/ mobility / compactness preference.

For a compound bow, it does not matter at all. I shoot my TRX7 which is 40 ATA out of a saddle with no problem. Trad bow is a little more practice due to some canting so you dont hit the tree with your tip.

I'm told you can go past 28 draw length no problem on a CP28, I'd guess it's those big cams. All 3 of your bows look like solid choices!

For awhile I used to chase accuracy and preferred longer ATAs, sometimes some side bars. I shoot 29.5” draw and have two bows 32” and 34” ata, have never had issues from the saddle or the JX3 with either. I’m now pretty much convinced whitetail is a short shot game, and not sure the added accuracy is needed for 30 yards and in, so maybe a shorter bow would be fine, maybe better a little less to manage, brush bust with, more compact. I do find myself picking up the shorter bow more often. Long story short either end of the spectrum is probably fine in the saddle and past that it comes down to your accuracy vs gear weight/ mobility / compactness preference.
I’m in agreement. I only hunt whitetail and 99.9% of my shots are 25 yards and under due to the thickets I hunt in Mid TN.
I’m not sure I could tell a difference in a 34” bow to a 30” bow at that range. I’ve always had 33”-35” bows and thought about going a little shorter.

Lots of good insight here already. My advice is to pick a bow that you like and fits/feels good, tune the hell out of it and hunt. I plan my hunting locations on lots of factors, but not bow size. If anything, I wonder about stabilizer length way more than ATA.

Last edited:
If you are going to have bow shop tuned and setup your bow and adjust for any change it doesn't matter too much, selection and budget. If you plan to manage, tune, and setup your bow get something you have the skills, budget, and tools for. For ease of use I always enjoy single cam bows, less headaches. I do have dual cam bows and shoot winter league with one, just do not prefer them for hunting. This is just my objective opinion.

I've used my Elite Synergy 33.5 ata 4.4lbs & Mathews Chill 30.5 ata 3.9lbs(which I regret selling!) mainly over the last 10 years out of a saddle. I love my Elite, but that weight of the Chill was WAY better. It was a 70lb bow AND I was shooting it at 58lbs the last couple years before determining I needed a bow I could shoot at 50lbs, I was just trying to be proactive AND not end up with needing shoulder surgery. I love my Elite, 40-50lb version I hunt at 50lbs. The Elite is much more accurate and a joy to shoot both in the stand and on the range, it just weighs a bit to much to carry in.

Since going full mobile ultra light set up I've been looking for a lighter bow the last couple years, sub 4lbs. The new Elite Carbon Era looks tasty! 3.9lbs weighed by Lancasters PJ Reiley...sounds like it is awfully nice. Can't wait to shoot it at the shop this month. If it at all feels like an Elite AND is low on hand shock, I'm ordering one. Weight has been the hardest thing to overcome trying to go on a super nasty trek into anywhere new on a hang and hunt. That 10 ounces shed from the haul in is major. I won't lie, until the Era was introduced this week, I was convinced I was going to buy one of the BowTech/Diamond carbon bows at 3.2lbs. If not for the "warping" issues I've heard about, I would have already done so. The Zion still might edge out the Era for super ultralight mobile set up into the jungle!

Last edited:
Prefer a bow with a little longer ata With a 30”draw length the string angle is pretty harsh and makes for an uncomfortable anchor point for me and I am too old to be changing that up

I've used my Elite Synergy & Mathews Chill (which I regret selling!) mainly over the last 10 years out of a saddle, but since going full mobile ultra light set up I've been looking for lighter bow, sub 4lbs. The new Elite Carbon Era looks tasty! 3.9lbs weighed by Lancasters PJ Reiley...sounds like it is awfully nice. Can't wait to shoot it at the shop this month. If it at all feels like an Elite AND is low on hand shock, I'm ordering one. Weight has been the hardest thing to overcome trying to go on a super nasty trek into anywhere new on a hang and hunt. That 10 ounces shed from the haul in is major.

One of the bow that I'm always on the lookout for is the Mathews HeliM. Many has told me that its one of the best bow they ever owned. Plus l love solocam. My Creed is 3.8lbs and the HeliM is 3.5!

I've used my Elite Synergy 33.5 ata 4.4lbs & Mathews Chill 30.5 ata 3.9lbs(which I regret selling!) mainly over the last 10 years out of a saddle. I love my Elite, but that weight of the Chill was WAY better. It was a 70lb bow AND I was shooting it at 58lbs the last couple years before determining I needed a bow I could shoot at 50lbs, I was just trying to be proactive AND not end up with needing shoulder surgery. I love my Elite, 40-50lb version I hunt at 50lbs. The Elite is much more accurate and a joy to shoot both in the stand and on the range, it just weighs a bit to much to carry in.

Since going full mobile ultra light set up I've been looking for a lighter bow the last couple years, sub 4lbs. The new Elite Carbon Era looks tasty! 3.9lbs weighed by Lancasters PJ Reiley...sounds like it is awfully nice. Can't wait to shoot it at the shop this month. If it at all feels like an Elite AND is low on hand shock, I'm ordering one. Weight has been the hardest thing to overcome trying to go on a super nasty trek into anywhere new on a hang and hunt. That 10 ounces shed from the haul in is major. I won't lie, until the Era was introduced this week, I was convinced I was going to buy one of the BowTech/Diamond carbon bows at 3.2lbs. If not for the "warping" issues I've heard about, I would have already done so. The Zion still might edge out the Era for super ultralight mobile set up into the jungle!

Gearhead carbon T-series

As advertised:
20" is 2.8lbs
24" is 3lbs.
30" is 3.3lbs

Never shot one, but they have quite a few Vegas wins to boast. A lot of that is the shooter I'm sure, but still, it's not for nothing they win with them.

I've all but given up on finding older bows. I've bought a few, but only 1 turned out to be a winner. The others had issues tuning, which was likely why they were passed on. Either way, 3.5lbs sounds nice AND if only you could still buy them new!

One of the bow that I'm always on the lookout for is the Mathews HeliM. Many has told me that its one of the best bow they ever owned. Plus l love solocam. My Creed is 3.8lbs and the HeliM is 3.5!

I went on a wild goose chase trying to locate a single gearhead bow to demo here in Michigan earlier this year NOBODY carries them anymore. BUMMER! I refuse to buy a bow without shooting it first.

Gearhead carbon T-series

As advertised:
20" is 2.8lbs
24" is 3lbs.
30" is 3.3lbs

Never shot one, but they have quite a few Vegas wins to boast. A lot of that is the shooter I'm sure, but still, it's not for nothing they win with them.

I went on a wild goose chase trying to locate a single gearhead bow to demo here in Michigan earlier this year NOBODY carries them anymore. BUMMER! I refuse to buy a bow without shooting it first.
If I remember correctly they were at the huntin' time expo in grand rapids last year. Maybe something to keep on the lookout for

Also really nice to see other people want a lighter bow! Hopefully the industry takes note and offers some lighter options.

I'm sure all big names monitor the forum :tearsofjoy:

the trend is heavier though AND then they lie about that too! 4.5 is really 5.1! NUTS

Also really nice to see other people want a lighter bow! Hopefully the industry takes note and offers some lighter options.

I'm sure all big names monitor the forum :tearsofjoy:

Back