• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best friction hitch for climbing and set?

Well nevermind then, back to the mechanical. I was thinking I could rappel on this and use my other hand as a brake hand. I was talking to my boss the other day (retired tier 1 SEAL). He broke a rope out and taught me to how to rappel by wrapping the rope around your arm, sit back, wrap your opposite thigh and the use both hands as brakes. He said they would rappel down a building like that, no knots, no devices, just a little rope burn if you are being shot at. That is my new self rescue technique.
You would use one hand to tend the friction hitch and the other hand would be the brake hand using a munter hitch. Super simple and super easy to learn.

I rappelled from about 12 feet the other day on a wlr hitch thinking I could use that to hang and rappel with. It worked ok but wasn't the smoothest ride. Guess I should have asked on here if it was safe to do before trying it. That's one of the reasons I love this site. So many guys on here that are smarter than me. lol

I agree, but I already have a gri gri I use.
Use a Cornell hitch over the gri gri as your back up…. Create a make shift tender to clip above the gri gri. Then you can work your device, the hitch is a back up that you can safely tend AND you still have your brake hand

I don't run a back up on my devices. When I am at height I tie in an alpine butterfly. When I rappel I am only rappelling for 20 seconds with my left hand feeding line (brake hand). If I can't stay in the moment for 20 seconds I shouldn't be climbing a tree to begin with.

Well nevermind then, back to the mechanical. I was thinking I could rappel on this and use my other hand as a brake hand. I was talking to my boss the other day (retired tier 1 SEAL). He broke a rope out and taught me to how to rappel by wrapping the rope around your arm, sit back, wrap your opposite thigh and the use both hands as brakes. He said they would rappel down a building like that, no knots, no devices, just a little rope burn if you are being shot at. That is my new self rescue technique.
Use a foot lock to add friction and let your shoes or boots take the abuse.

We’ve come to value gadgets over knowledge and skill.
How are gadgets not knowledge? At some point cars were gadgets. Your feet will get you from point A to B. Just because someone uses a device doesn't mean they can't tie a knot, a hitch, or have a way to self rescue. Unless you are throwing a sharpened stick, EVERYTHING you are using is a gadget. It is ok to evolve.

How are gadgets not knowledge? At some point cars were gadgets. Your feet will get you from point A to B. Just because someone uses a device doesn't mean they can't tie a knot, a hitch, or have a way to self rescue. Unless you are throwing a sharpened stick, EVERYTHING you are using is a gadget. It is ok to evolve.
Yes, but do those gadgets stunt peoples growth when it comes to developing knowledge and skills? ie I have a rangefinder so I don't need to be able to judge distances. Oops, I forgot my rangefinder at home and missed that new state record buck by a mile lol.

Yes, but do those gadgets stunt peoples growth when it comes to developing knowledge and skills? ie I have a rangefinder so I don't need to be able to judge distances. Oops, I forgot my rangefinder at home and missed that new state record buck by a mile lol.
100% it does if you are a lazy person and do not educate yourself. That is on the person not the gadget. Like the sticker says, "Can't fix stupid", just like you can't fix lazy.

I don’t think he’s saying gadgets aren’t knowledge. They are a different type of knowledge. Reliance on Gadgets do however lower people’s skill sets. You don’t have to develop your skills as well with gadgets as you would if you didn’t have them. I can tell you first hand, now that we have boom trucks, piking is a skill set very few utility workers posses.

I don’t think he’s saying gadgets aren’t knowledge. They are a different type of knowledge. Reliance on Gadgets do however lower people’s skill sets. You don’t have to develop your skills as well with gadgets as you would if you didn’t have them. I can tell you first hand, now that we have boom trucks, piking is a skill set very few utility workers posses.
Piking?

Everyone in that picture is in danger. If the bottom kicks that pole is going forward. That pole is not going to fall straight down with 6 guys pushing from different angles. I think that pic was taken long before OSHA came into the work place.

AND as much as I dislike OSHA, there is not a rule on their books that was not a result of serious injury or death.

And then knowledge came along to use a boom truck and people stopped dieing. Which part of that looks safe?????
I’m not disagreeing with you however I offer a different perspective… Which part of line work in general would you consider safe? Or climbing trees and shooting weapons? We mitigate risks to the best of our abilities. Sometimes hydraulic lines bust. Sometimes trucks flip or poles fall on people. Sometimes mechanical climbing devices fail (usually operator error but still happens) when a device fails having the “skill set” that your mechanical replaced, can save your life. That’s what I think Jammingtree is referring to. Gadgets are great but so is knowing the basics of what people did before gadgets were a thing is also more important than people realize

Back