• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Kestrel Clone

Next I’ll be making some matching draw string dump pouches.

Turns out I had a '75 Kenmore model 158 in my basement. A second hand freebie from Mom to wife years ago we never even got out of the travel case. Woo!

After I got it working on a webbing test case, figured I'd take a shot at this too. I scaled up the dimensions to 36x18 (total combined cut size). I used 1000d cordura off eBay. Waiting on grosgrain to continue, but here's the work so far.

Your stitching makes mine look awful, but its been 30 years since Jr high home-ec, and the more I do, the better it gets.

Thanks for sharing such detailed pics and steps!
9a0e18f5e3b7aa67a26ed506cab4cf67.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looking great! I was waiting to see who would be willing to give it a go. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

What thread are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking great! I was waiting to see who would be willing to give it a go. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

What thread are you using?

Coats & Clark 3 strand bonded nylon upholstery thread. Not sure how it compares to guttermans, and I could break one thread with a good pull, but 2 was pretty strong.

I'm double stitching everything I can, and I figured I might run 2 vertical webbing straps connecting from top to bottom on the outside if I have any doubts when it's nearly done. Molle would go on over that.

Looks great! Jealous

My father in law has an indusrial upholstery machine out in CA, gonna get the materials together for my next visit!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I see the large webbing strap went across the bottom first, after the leg straps were on. Was that a solid piece of webbing with the two loose ends left dangling for later work, or two separate pieces? And how are they joined up again across the back of the top - do they cross each other and fasten through for strength? Tough to tell in the black on black threading/webbing photos.

Thanks

I see the large webbing strap went across the bottom first, after the leg straps were on. Was that a solid piece of webbing with the two loose ends left dangling for later work, or two separate pieces? And how are they joined up again across the back of the top - do they cross each other and fasten through for strength? Tough to tell in the black on black threading/webbing photos.

Thanks

The leg straps are one continuous piece. The leg strap is first tacked to the saddle body at the halfway point (the fold) to hold it in place. The 2" webbing goes over that and then the other half of the leg strap goes over the 2" webbing. Then, like you said, the ends "dangle" until you're ready to put buckles on them. The 2'' webbing is one large piece that has a 2" overlap where they met at the top in the center of the back. I hope I answered your question. I'll try to upload some better pics.

The leg straps are one continuous piece. The leg strap is first tacked to the saddle body at the halfway point (the fold) to hold it in place. The 2" webbing goes over that and then the other half of the leg strap goes over the 2" webbing. Then, like you said, the ends "dangle" until you're ready to put buckles on them. The 2'' webbing is one large piece that has a 2" overlap where they met at the top in the center of the back. I hope I answered your question. I'll try to upload some better pics.
Ah, yes it was the 2 inch webbing I was asking about. Got it, thanks

My buckles are still on the way, but the lineman's belt loops and leg straps got added today. It's at 1.3lbs now.

I've hit a limit on my machine- I can't seem to punch through the top webbing reliably anymore, so I might add the belt 2 inches lower on the inside, right over the leg strap/lower molle that's on the outside... Or I'll have to use a stitching awl.

Oh, and I don't have adjusters to put on yet and need to figure that out still.

Can't wait to get to try it out, but we're having a cold snap at the moment and I'm traveling for work this weekend so it might have to wait.
3d22d7f5d7b7d823ccffbc66a9a7c5a3.jpg
6ec54fe9c33ed829a7a705cb587718a7.jpg

My buckles are still on the way, but the lineman's belt loops and leg straps got added today. It's at 1.3lbs now.

I've hit a limit on my machine- I can't seem to punch through the top webbing reliably anymore, so I might add the belt 2 inches lower on the inside, right over the leg strap/lower molle that's on the outside... Or I'll have to use a stitching awl.

Oh, and I don't have adjusters to put on yet and need to figure that out still.

Can't wait to get to try it out, but we're having a cold snap at the moment and I'm traveling for work this weekend so it might have to wait.
3d22d7f5d7b7d823ccffbc66a9a7c5a3.jpg
6ec54fe9c33ed829a7a705cb587718a7.jpg

It’s looking great man! I’d hate to see you take an awl to that thing after doing all of those nice stitches. My advice would be to set it to the side and find a stouter machine to finish it.

Just got a thread injector for Christmas and decide to take on this project. I’ll be honest I got a long road ahead of me before I become decent with this machine. With that being said, I managed to go from not knowing how to even thread a machine to making saddle in probably about 8 hours of sewing time. I spent a lot of time fighting the machine and cussing but here it is my first saddle.
dbdb079541d931c9e0bb2e12a793f9ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The buckles are the thing I’d change the most on my kestrel. Why not have light, small, plastic buckles on the legs like the alpine bod harness. Could do away with the linemans loops too and really lighten the whole system up.
Y’all do have some skills though. They look fantastic!

The buckles are the thing I’d change the most on my kestrel. Why not have light, small, plastic buckles on the legs like the alpine bod harness. Could do away with the linemans loops too and really lighten the whole system up.
Y’all do have some skills though. They look fantastic!

I am doing plastic buckles on the legs. I only went heavy duty on the waist where it could keep me from falling out if I manage to get upside down or something breaks. In fact, I put those leg straps on intending to cut them back off if I don't think they do much in testing.

I have yet to hang in this, but I'm heavier than average and want to give it some good bouncing, full weight pulling and stress it every way I can think of. If satisfied, I'm making at least one more for my son.

Costs into them:

1000d cordura, 1yd x 2yd, $21.90 (eBay)
1 3/4in Mil spec dive webbing, green, 10yd, $15.99 (eBay)
1in heavy nylon tubular webbing, black, 10yd, 12.95 (Amazon)
1in Mil spec binding ribbon (grosgrain), green, 5yd, $4.92 (eBay)
Coats & Clark heavy duty bonded nylon upholstery thread, brown, 150yd x 3, $14.34 (Amazon)
ISC buckles x2*, $44 (lowayusa.com)

For the leg adjusters I shamelessly cut off shoulder strap parts from an old backpack that had holes. Recycle. I may go to Hobby Lobby or Joann to find buckles for the leg straps, or maybe get them from an old sleeping bag.

So around 114 total, or $57 each in materials, and it took me 12-16 hours to do one, starting at "Hey, look, a sewing machine! How do you use a sewing machine?" The second will go much faster and the stitching will be way better with less redos, and parts I had to go over 4x because I was crooked, missed, etc.

* Lowyusa has a $50 min order and probably would scale at volume. I ordered 4 at 17ea plus shipping in case I like them for other things too, which came to $88. Shipping sucks, but they're heavy. I might resell leftovers later.

Back