• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Search results

1. D

Camo is not unnecessary

I can confirm this. pretty sure its taught in schools as one of the primary colors.
  2. D

Camo is not unnecessary

While I do agree that camo (real tree, mossy oak,etc) isnt necessary, deer do see some color better than others...blue for example. Deer vision isnt terrible, you're not invisible in camo, its about breaking up your outline. Fred Bear killed deer in red flannel. edit*: all said, i do wear camo...
  3. D

Lets talk scrapes

lol no lie its going to be 80F next week, but just last week we had 38F
  4. D

Lets talk scrapes

im in SE Louisiana so whats really gonna happen is ill hunt all weekend and see a spike, a doe, and if im lucky, a 4pt if i even see anything
  5. D

Lets talk scrapes

I figured i would and thats ok...to clarify a bit, i dont setup directly on a scrape.....if theres an area that has a nice fresh one and has rubs all through as well then yeah im going to be somewhere in the vicinity and try to find something that funnels his travel a bit....i dont see alot of...
  6. D

Lets talk scrapes

you and me both
  7. D

Lets talk scrapes

I took a trip to an area up north and found more buck sign than i have ever seen....some spots had 3-4 scrapes in the same spot with maybe 20-30 yards between them, some were the size of a basketball while others were very large. I did manage to see the biggest buck of my life trailing a doe on...
  8. D

Did I get bamboozled?

not saying you were bamboozled, but its worth noting that some game processors, especially ones that process alot of deer, will process all of the meat together and then give you what they calculate you should get back...meaning you get your deer and probably 2 other peoples deer and maybe you...
  9. D

Water storage

aluminum water bottle. plastic bottles make too much noise. lid has a ring on it so it hangs nicely on my hys strap....also turns into my coffee thermos when its cold
  10. D

30-30 help me decide

i found a guy today that had a 1976 marlin jm stamped...pulled the trigger on it!....took it to the range and pulled the trigger for real...excellent gun,very satisfied!
  11. D

30-30 help me decide

out of curiosity, whats the furthest you would shoot a deer with those open sights?
  12. D

30-30 help me decide

eventually no doubt i will own both, but at the moment guys around here want an average of 700-800 for either model bare gun. If i dropped 1600 on guns right now before christmas my wife will blow a gasket lol
  13. D

30-30 help me decide

i have experience and am confident with iron sights...
  14. D

30-30 help me decide

valid point lol. It needs to kill deer....and\or hogs
  15. D

30-30 help me decide

Ive wanted a lever action 30-30 for awhile and i have found a few in my area. Here's the dilemma...i really want the winchester 94. I'm obsessed with it, its an American legend but all my buddies are saying get the marlin its the better gun and has the side eject for easier scope mounting. Where...
  16. D

Southern Storms

It hit the fan a bit but luckily no tornadoes. My house is still damaged from Ida so last thing i needed was a tornado rolling through...
  17. D

Inseason Practice

shooting slows down a bit during season but still let some fly to keep muscle memory up and make sure arrows still flying like i think they are. I also still climb in the yard double checking things or making tweaks.
  18. D

Ratchets or OCB

problem i have with the OCB is that my steps almost always seem to fold over away from the tree even though the strap is as tight as i can possibly get it....i went back to the ratchet for now.
  19. D

Blizzard Hunting

no thanks
  20. D

1 sticking setups

My retrieval rope is also my pull up rope for bow and to help make sure i dont forget to connect it to my rappel line, i will either go ahead and connect it after pulling my bow up so its there or i will clip it into my hys strap right below where my quicklink so its there in my face.