• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Search results

1. TradBowGuy

Who makes quality camo outer wear

I'm a First Lite guy to the bone...LOVE their merino stuff. It's pricey, for sure, but for me up in PA where I get colder now that I'm older, it can't be beat. Wet or dry, that wool keeps me warm, and in the early season, keeps me cool too! I love the ASAT pattern, & was lucky enough to buy a...
  2. TradBowGuy

Hot meal while in the Saddle

Stanley thermos's for me-a 14 oz widemouth for the chili or soup, & a 20 oz for hot coffee. the 20 oz is cool-you just remove the cup & loosen the stopper to pour. But if I'm staying on the ground, & walking back to camp...then I also take an 8 oz little guy that contains, um...wound...
  3. TradBowGuy

Wild Edge Step Ladder with Knaider and Swaider

That's GOOD advice! Thanks for sharing! I know what you mean-I almost did the same thing when I first tried using those things! Now, since I started rappelling down, I connect both the rappel rope as a tether, and the lineman's rope while on the ground. It takes me longer to get up, but I...
  4. TradBowGuy

How long to get comfortable

For me, "comfort" had 2 parts-getting comfortable with climbing trees & using my equipment, then finding a saddle that I could sit in for anywhere from 4-5 hrs to all day. Here's what I did. First, I bought a climbing harness from amazon-not near as expensive as a saddle, & it got me climbing...
  5. TradBowGuy

Aluminum arrows

I switched back to aluminum four years ago. My Widows & my Schafers like 2016's, 30 in. with 190 gr Swamp Sharks up front. My bows are all around 45#-48# @ 28" or 29". I keep 2 carbons in the quiver for stumps or squirrels when things get slow. For those, I use GT Traditional 500's, usually buy...
  6. TradBowGuy

Smokey smelling pack

I would wash the heck out of it with Dead Down Wind laundry detergent, let it air dry outside for a day, then I'd build a nice smoky wood campfire & smoke the heck out of it with wood smoke. At least 4-6 hours. I do alot of hunting on the ground, and wood smoke all of my outer layers. I believe...
  7. TradBowGuy

New and not a fan...yet

My recommendation (your mileage may vary) ;): If it has to be a saddle with no pressure points, and is easily adjustable to support your ENTIRE back & legs-Dryad Drey LL. 2nd choice of saddle-not as adjustable or comfortable as the Drey to me, but still a very comfortable, and a more...
  8. TradBowGuy

Using this for a quick link

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Yep, I thought of that...that's why I throw low with my head high!!! And, since I attach at ground level, if that ever happens I'll probably survive the fall!!!
  9. TradBowGuy

First sit...TEST

The main reason why I started saddle hunting is that as I was getting older, ( I'll be 61 this year,) I noticed I was developing a fear of heights-heck, I'd watch a movie with a "high rise" scene like the 1st "new" james bond movie where he's chasing a guy across a construction crane, and my...
  10. TradBowGuy

Using this for a quick link

Well, some might think this is ALOT of overkill, but a rock climbing friend suggested this one to me, & I have to say that I really like it for the quick link on my rappell line/tether. Because of it's "twist," I'm always able to keep the gate away from the tree, and the extra weight makes it a...
  11. TradBowGuy

Older guys

I'll be 61 this year. I use wild edge steps, tethrd skeletors, & hawk helium sticks. As I'm getting older, I'm beginning to prefer the wild edge steps over sticks, because I'm concerned about a nasty cut or worse, if I would fall or slip a little bit and come up against the edges of those...
  12. TradBowGuy

Moving on from the Mantis

I did a review of several saddles a while ago... maybe the info will help... I also picked up a JX3 Hybrid, which is the king of comfort, imo...
  13. TradBowGuy

Sticks vs Wild Edge Steps

I have 20 WE stepps, a set of Tethrd Skeletors, & 3 Hawk Helium sticks. I've played with all, & use the WE steps the most. Using just steps, I use 10 to get to where I want to be-7 gets me to height. 1 higher for an additional hand hold/bow hanger, & 1 on each side of the perch. I take my time...
  14. TradBowGuy

Hunting Backpack Needs

I think some of them are on sale over at Black Ovis....
  15. TradBowGuy

Favorite un minimalist gear.

I like it-nice heavy duty arm that screws into the tree & nice fasteners for the open part that 'straddles" the tree to get secured. Around $20 on Amazon. I have 2-one is in my saddle pack, the other I use when ground hunting.
  16. TradBowGuy

Favorite un minimalist gear.

Ameristep treestand umbrella. folds up nice in a pack, & comes in handy when it's gonna keep raining.
  17. TradBowGuy

Hunting Backpack Needs

I think you're making a good choice w/ MR-their packs are top quality & the "overload" feature is very valuable. I originally bought a Sawtooth 45 with the frame, & over the last few years have added a Mule, Pintler, & Beartooth 80-these I bought as "bag only" options, so I have the 1 frame, & 4...
  18. TradBowGuy

JX3 Hybrid Pack System Trial

PM sent to Kyler & Ryan.
  19. TradBowGuy

All my doubts put to rest.

If you ever decide to buy one- I'd recommend that you check out the Dryad Drey (a more "conventional" saddle with plenty of back support) or the JX3 Hybrid- I love both of them!
  20. TradBowGuy

JX3 Hybrid Pack System Trial

If not too late, ( I just saw this) I'd like to try it out. If already shipped back "home," no big deal-Thanks!