• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Search results

1. J

Backing Things Up

I cinch my lineman's belt down and run it as a secondary bridge and also tie an alpine butterfly knot below my friction hitch on the tag end of my tether and clip that in to my carabiner. I feel pretty comfortable with these but still have single points of failure with my tether carabiner and a...
  2. J

Opinion on a diy tether.

Have you checked out the ropes at doublesteps.com w/ @DanO. He's got everything you'll need and you might want to look at some of the 8 and 9mm ropes.
  3. J

Canoe vs Kayak

I have a Old Town Guide (14 footer) canoe and love it. I take it duck hunting and can pack it full to the brim with stuff along w/ my dog. A kayak seems so limited in terms of space. I would also echo the longer canoes are better.
  4. J

Does anyone use Natural Gear?

I actually just ordered their full draw series - pants and 1/4 zip. I plan on wearing those early on and as a mid layer this year. I've worn their camo duck hunting for the last several years and love it. I have only good things to say about how it works and durability, so figured I'd give...
  5. J

Hey duck hunters

Sadie girl and I got a limit of blue wings last weekend on teal opener too.
  6. J

Just about wrapped up my new battle belt saddle

I went with a BB set up from @DanO for this year. I got real tired of my saddle sliding down on the walk in/out. Moved everything to the BB and now I can stow that in my bag. I'm just going to throw it on at the base of the tree. I might wear it on the walks in and out for shorter duration...
  7. J

EWO Battlebelt with Lineman’s Loop

I just got mine delivered from @DanO. I'm a 36 and went with a medium belt and went ahead and got the large linesman loops. It fits perfect and has enough length on the loops to accommodate for more layers
  8. J

@Jtaylor Thanks for the info!
  9. J

@Jtaylor - With your dual bridge set up, does that allow you to transfer your weight on to the BB while hunting as opposed to all of your weight being in the SD if you only have a single bridge? I'm thinking it might be nice to try to disperse the weight out between the two sections, but you...
  10. J

@Jtaylor You have 1 inch webbing & tri glides attaching your sit drag to your battle belt. Did you find that it's necessary to keep the 2 sections loosely attached together for comfort while hunting or is that to keep the SD from falling while walking in & out?
  11. J

Quiver tight to tree

I hang my bow off the left side of the tree (right-handed) with my quiver on a separate hook (night ize gear tie) on the right side of the tree. My pack hangs below. I used a paracord tree strap last year and will be using a webbing gear strap from @DanO this year.
  12. J

Trophyline Platform?

Getting to be so many options. This is a good thing. Is it going to be a larger predator?
  13. J

Platform suggestions

Sounds like you might want the Treehopper tree suit
  14. J

Alternative Method for Platform Attachment

Thank you for showing your platform attachment while standing on a stick! It seems that every video I watch of cam over platforms, people are showing how easy they are to install and cam while standing on the ground. I feel like this would be way more difficult while tethered in and standing...
  15. J

Newbie question (imagine that!)

I've had similar issues with my kestrel. My solution is going to be to daisy chain my LB behind me and have 1 removable dump pouch. I'm going to 8 mm oplux for LB & tether too. I want to walk in and out with nothing hanging from my saddle.
  16. J

Milkweed?

I use the down feathers off duck and goose breasts. They float really well and are visible just like milkweed, and you're not potentially spreading a noxious weed. Also they're way more fun to "pick" than going out hunting for milkweed!
  17. J

Milkweed?

Please don't spread thistle! I'm almost positive that's a thistle, and people spend a lot of time and money every year trying to eliminate them. I would assume there's a law against spreading that on public land and may get you kicked off private land if a farmer finds you doing that.
  18. J

Truck Tires

I'd add another vote for the General Grabber AT2's. Mine are great in snow, rain, and mud. There's been multiple times I've been out scouting/hunting; traveling down minimal use roads that were muddier than I thought they would be. Never stuck, always pulled through, and sound good on the...
  19. J

New Platforms?

Have you used your Tree suit very much? Is there enough room to stand up on it if you wanted to?
  20. J

Best platform available?

Might have to add the treehopper to the list of good platforms. It's lighter than all the others, but still seems to be pretty good size. I don't have any personal experience with. Being a new product, I don't who's actually got to hang it on a tree and hunt with it...