• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

public land

1. CharlieTN

1st hunt of the 2023 season and a few other firsts.

Some Firsts on this hunt: first opening day hunt in years. 1st public land deer. 1st hunt in the CGM Cobra saddle. 2nd bow kill Just wanted to share this entry from my hunting journal about my first hunt this year. I try to keep a record of what happened on each hunt, especially successful...
  2. D

Rookie Mistakes?

Typing from the tree. Looking for feedback and suggestions on my morning hunt so far. Blew a group of deer out of the field I wanted to hunt this morning on public land. Decided to sit up on the field anyway. Have the wind to my back and three trails to my strong side (right handed shooter)...
  3. D

North Central WV Public Land

Anyone have any luck hunting North Central WV public land? Second season bow hunting public and haven’t had much success. I have went in deep on the places I hunt where I’d think deer would be or at least bed and can barely even find sign besides some lightly worn trails, no rubs or scrapes. Not...
  4. CharlesHBronson

OHIO OHIO

Hey All, I have hunting private land in Carroll county Ohio for that last 3 or so years. The family that gives me access to their land may be moving to Kentucky this year. My question is if anyone has experience hunting public land in south east Ohio and if so which areas do you recommend and...
  5. Bertfogle

Ky Saddle Public Land Newbie

Hey so I am planning on hunting public land for the first time I’ve always hunted my own land but for this season I am making changes which is one of the top reasons I have switched to hunting out of a saddle for the packing and comfort! Anyone on here ever hunted Taylorsville Ky WMA any tips...
  6. EverettJ89

VA Public Land - George Washington National Forest

I'm looking to branch out this coming season, and try my hand at chasing bucks in the GW National Forest. I plan on making a 3-4 day trip in Highland County, as I am familiar with the area, but am also looking to hunt the GWNF closer to home in the northern mountains (Day trips/overnighters...
  7. Marshal

January Hunting - SE Michigan Public (Ghost Town)

I'm new to the forum, so I wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone that has made my saddle hunting transition smooth (mostly) with all the informative posts. This is my first year in a saddle and I am really enjoying it. I've been hunting for a while but this is the first year that I've...
  8. DelaWhere_Arrow

Hunting Pre-Pinned Public Land

I have the opportunity to participate in a management hunt starting Monday morning. The land is public, and very close to home. The deer herd is about 20:1 what the land can support in this area (probably not that high really, but that’s actually not a terrible estimate), and the DNR wants deer...
  9. DelaWhere_Arrow

First real saddle sit

Definitely have some dialing in to do still, but fudge me if this Kestrel isn’t the most comfortable sit I’ve ever had in the woods. Did some minimal practice at ground level, but I can definitely see what kinda of swinging and positioning I need to practice still. My hold on side pressure...
  10. DelaWhere_Arrow

Mapping Whitetails Series

I’m sure lots of y’all already subscribe to The Hunting Public on YT, but if you aren’t or haven’t seen these yet, they’re doing a second “Mapping Whitetails w/ OnX” series for 2019. In 2018, they did a series focusing on how e-scouting meets field-scouting; this year, they are focusing on the...
  11. Harleycharlie

Run and Gun Public Land Buck

Start out by saying this is my first season saddle hunting......however I started researching this method of hunting after reading one of John Eberharts books “ bow hunting pressured whitetails “ in 2015. I also read other books about deer hunting at the same time , Johns book just really stuck...
Back